I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By Heavyman
A lot of people are posting looking for help on speeding up their scooter, I would like that too, but how do I do that considering I weigh 230lb. Right now my stock scooter barely moves with me on it. What's the best way to boost the speed and the power so that I can ride on gentle hills while I commute to work (about 2 miles)?
By rhyoo
on budget option: bigger sla battery 48v total, 36v 800w motor, higher amp controller (yk43b or mini yk43)
higher budget with better performance : lipo battery system, brushless motor, programmable controller

When you said best way, I was assuming performance wise with no limited budget....that way I could give you advice going lipo or lion battery system 16s which equal 60v, slap some boma outrunner brushless motor 60v 2000w, kelly programmable controller. This should give you a scary fast 40+mph with correct mod. But if this is your first time modding, i don't think you'll going this route. Especially you just aiming 2 miles trip.

What's your budget? do you have any access to fabricate or some welding? 2 miles range isn't hard to achieve. Once you tell us these thing we can see what option you have.

Rio
By zogthegreat
Heavyman wrote:A lot of people are posting looking for help on speeding up their scooter, I would like that too, but how do I do that considering I weigh 230lb. Right now my stock scooter barely moves with me on it. What's the best way to boost the speed and the power so that I can ride on gentle hills while I commute to work (about 2 miles)?

Hi Heavyman,

I currently weigh in at 230lbs. How you do your mod can depend on what type of terrain that your riding on. I'll use my modded E300 as an example. Here's the specs:

1000w 36v Unite motor
3 x 12v 10ah SLA's
YK43B controller

Now, I spend my summers in Montreal my winters in central Florida, (I was born in California and winters in Quebec REALLY SUCK!! -40 anyone! :shock: ). In Florida it's nice and flat, so I use a 11/55 gear ratio. I can go about 7 miles total without recharging, (depending on battery age/recharge cycles). Montreal has a lot of hills and step streets, so I use a 11/80 gear ratio. This ratio takes me straight up hills, but it will cut my battery life in half, i.e. I can only travel about 3 = 4 miles before my batteries die.

My suggestion to you would be to go with the same setup and then choose your gearing based on the terrain in your area.

BTW, remember, twisting the throttle hard at a stop is the same thing as hitting the gas hard at a stop. It will drain your batteries faster than a smooth start. I personally like to kick off from a stop, it seems to make my batteries last longer.

I hope this helps.

zog

(EDIT)

I forgot to mention that the 800w 36v motor is a better buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-800W-36V-el ... Sw241Yl91b

$70.00 USD for 800w, 1000w goes for 120.00.

Or if you aren't to attached to your life and limbs, you could ask robnewyork what motor he would go with! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Waxmonkee! Wow, where to start? I'm new to […]