I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By gameboy
Kahlis wrote: (I know the question is rhetorical since there are only two members on this entire forum, me and Rob from New York. Where is everyone???)

actually i am very interested in your project, as with all the projects here. that is why I am the ADMIN, but since i have been doing this for a while now, i dont find the same amount of time that i used to have to comment, but there are a few members here who offer very good info and seem to be doing just fine. now, with that said, i do monitor all the info and if false/bad info is passed along i do step in and correct it. so dont think your alone in this, i just dont have much to say any more. like rob said, most members are new and ask a lot of the same questions so i get tired or repeating myself and let the new but experienced members answer them.
By Kahlis
gameboy wrote:
Kahlis wrote: (I know the question is rhetorical since there are only two members on this entire forum, me and Rob from New York. Where is everyone???)

actually i am very interested in your project, as with all the projects here. that is why I am the ADMIN, but since i have been doing this for a while now, i dont find the same amount of time that i used to have to comment, but there are a few members here who offer very good info and seem to be doing just fine. now, with that said, i do monitor all the info and if false/bad info is passed along i do step in and correct it. so dont think your alone in this, i just dont have much to say any more. like rob said, most members are new and ask a lot of the same questions so i get tired or repeating myself and let the new but experienced members answer them.

Haha, it's all good. I was more or less just playing around. I thought it funny that Rob and I were going back in forth for so long without anybody commenting; admin, forum owner, another regular joe,... :lol:
By Kahlis
Progress came a stand still I'm afraid. We cut the frame without really thinking about geometry. If we simply extended the frame with 12" sections of pipe, we would actually extend and lift the front end. The front end would need to rotate down, causing the battery tray a/o the motor to hit instead of the rear wheel. Luckily, my second bike is on the delivery truck as we speak, so we'll be able to use as our example.
By gameboy
I am also sad to say that for all the members we have and how many posts we have, this is still a small forum because most members join to ask a few questions, get their answer and leave to never be heard from again.

If I had my way, everyone would be on here all day long with all kinds of cool projects and lots (tons) of pics. Everything goes better with pics.
I do wish we had more everyday members, but we manage.
By Kahlis
I'll probably be here for a while. I already have plans for more than 50v,... but I need to start off small first. 8-)
By Kahlis
BTW, your avatar inspired me. The avatar I usually use gets the same reaction as yours I'm sure. I'm changing it now. :)
By gameboy
Kahlis wrote:BTW, your avatar inspired me. The avatar I usually use gets the same reaction as yours I'm sure. I'm changing it now. :)

For the longest time I didn't know what to use for an avatar,but then I found that and thought "that's me". An Internet troll that just sits around pickin his nose waiting for someone to post so I could respond. Then we changed over to this new forum model I haven't had as much time as before. (Coinsidence I think). We even had prizes for best scooter (scooter of the month).

Gettin old sucks!
By robnewyork
Post pics of chopped frame..sounds like u may have simply picked the wrong chopping point..extending from the very back at the wheel would keep it all level..just longer chain etc..like a drag bike.
By robnewyork
The swing arm are would need to made into a swing arm lol..then remount the motors and wheel to the new assembly..adding a serious spring or even making it a fixed peice would work..
By Kahlis
We chopped it forward of the battery tray,... figured that would be best place. I'll get some photos up ASAP but he's out w/ his old lady ATM.

But now that you mention,... ANOTHER chop at the rear would really stretch this thing!!!
By Kahlis
The second bike came in. All in all, seems 95% (minus the front plastic fairing which I don't care for anyway). I tore it apart and got 6.9 and 6.7 in each battery so I got the charger in and it seems to be charging.
By robnewyork
Those are extremely low voltages..normal would be 11 for alive batteries..we will find out..if the first bike is salvageable id continue to extend it as planned..who cares about the plastics lol u need speed..speed is what we need ! Where are u buying all these? My local craigslist has everything under the sun but im too wrapped up in the stuff im doin
By Kahlis
I figure I'll get the other fixed (replace batteries) and let my kids drive it. But yeah, I'm sticking w/ the stretch mod and 50v,... that'll be for ME to play with!
By robnewyork
Thats a good plan.. i saw batteries for 33 shipped on ebay last week.do u think dual motor or the one 350 watt? Or all 3 motors for extreme take off speed lol
By Kahlis
I gave the pocket rocket a overnight charge and bam! Fully working bike!! yeeahh!

The overall voltage should be 24v but it appears to only push 12v total. I need to check the wiring, unless it's not two 12v batteries in series.
By robnewyork
It should read over 26 volts...are u sure u wired it right? Check each batteries voltage..seems the guy before u may have wired it wrong and u copied him..does it do 12 mph? If not theres an issue
By robnewyork
Also loudoug did 2 250 watts on 60 volt on here a while ago, absolutte beast.. he climbed steep hills.. idk his top speed but thats some good getup ang go..with long swing arm u can mount 4 250 watt motors.. i have 2 for cheap in the for sale section..id weld all 4 perfectly along trailing arm lmao and run 48 volt controller.. jking aside one guy did it on his scooter. 4 motors ans a 2400 watt 100 amp controller..it did 28 mph with good torque and said it spun tires on takeoff in the dirt..looked sick..people may say, why not do one 1000 watt motor? My answer, higher rpm at same voltage, and better cooling due to massive surface area difference..all depends on the goal..just food for thought..i hope my new kart just has smooth acceleration to 30 mph, and if i wanna go dragster mode ill change gears later..already have a second sprocket being machined.
By Kahlis
Yeah, I read that post before. Problem is,... haha, he's using factory batteries,.. I'm a lipo guy! Here are some stretch photos. Whatcha think?!?!?!

Comparison shot next to a factory Rocket.
By Kahlis
You see the whole photo or is it cropped?
By robnewyork
Dude that looks freaking awesome !!! You could fit 10 battery packs if you needed em! Im lookking at it for motor mounting ideas now
By robnewyork
You could mount the motor directly above the rear wheel bolting it to those two crossmembers..look at the motors with bases and u will know what i mean..the 2 250s could also be stuffed in there ..its not likee a gas engine theyre never really upside down, reverse polarity and its driving the wheel in correct direction.again the chassis looks amazing
By Kahlis
Gotta heat and bend the lower frame rail,.. problem is, we already broke a weld so my buddy is fixing it as we speak. The plan is to hae all three extended w/ the solid steel.
By robnewyork
I see..the third is currently not connected.
This is gonna be so cool..try and stay focused.. its hard as the project progresses i know lol..i need a more solid way to mount my mega motor and thinking aboit it alone is annoying..if i weld it in i ruin a 300 dollar motor essentially..bolting it wont work because the mounting frame is made to flex..we must persevere!!#
By robnewyork
I also think the plastics could go back on ur PR and look pretty sharp..rather clean lines and painting the plastics individually would be cool if thats ur thing..no plastics on the kart so nothing for me to do
By Kahlis
Its been a while since I provided an update, so here are some photos!

Mock-up AL piece. Neighbor is welding the steel plate. Plan - Key switch and lipo monitor plate.

New rail to allow the bigger motor.

Next up, bead-blasting and powdercoat!
By thehairs
Now just add a rear swingarm with a pair of shocks and that is the direction I'm heading with my project
By robnewyork3
No frigen way! Powder coating lmao ! What motor and controller are ya doin i cannot even remember..the chassis looks sick man congrats..was wondering where ya went...no one to talk to with u gone lol ..jk
By Kahlis
The motor is gonna be the 36v version of the MY1016 and I plan to use the MX650 controller and throttle.
By robnewyork3
Ok cool..i still think ur gonna end up setting it up to go faster lol..like doin the 36v controller with 24 v motor but time will yell..plus with your lipo knowledge ur range will be 20 miles or so lmao
By Kahlis
The batteries are 25.2v, 8ah lipos (6S); wired in series for 50.4v, 8ah. I'll use lipo monitors to ensure the batteries aren't discharged below their safety voltage. At 8ah, the run-time won't be much less than the factory 9ah batteries, but with triple the punch!!!

I haven't yet decided one what to do w/ the frame. The seat/rear fairing will go back on, but I have a couple ideas for the front.
By robnewyork3
Usually with lipos at the same ah rating they still last 2 times longer lol..or atleast from what ive seen and read here ..probably because the low volt safety rnge is much lower
By Kahlis
Frame finished!

Well, about 98%. The top plate (just below the steering assembly) still needs to be ground down a bit. That area will house the key switch and the lipo monitors. I can't WAIT for this to be powdercoated! The company I'm gonna use offers over 2k color options,... I'm thinking either titanium or a slate gray.
By Kahlis
Oh, I didn't say both those are brand new wheel assemblies direct from Razorama.com.
By gameboy
nice, cant wait for final pics and a video of you hallin butt down the street.
that makes perfect sense , especially for that price.. now heres my q, why settle for 16.5 mph with the 36v 350w motor when you have a 250w 250 watt motor that will do 25 mph on 50 volts ?this still has me confused,, plus at 50 v the 2 250watters would have serious acceleration , i already had 2 250s set up and it pulled me 170lbs uphill no issue.
Well this where I need your help. All these theoretical speeds you are throwing around are based on what? You tried to explain how you determine the speed but I believe the explanation fell short. Here are the specs -

factory motor - 24 Volt, 250 Watt, 2650 RPM, 13.7 Amp
aftermarket motor 3 - 36 Volt, 350 Watt, 2500 RPM, 11.5 Amp
Incoming voltage - 50.4v

Please show me the numerical equations you use to figure theoretical speeds., ie take x, divide by y, multiply z, equals s.
Ok ..so 24 volt motor is set to 2400 rpm lets say..so 100 pm per volt..if you ran that on 36 volts , the motor will spin at 3600 rpm...so thats 50 percent gain in top speed..no gain in torque...so if t motor at 2400 rpm was set to make the rocket go 12 , when you run it on 36 volts the rocket will go 18mph... the direct relationship isthe 50 percent gain in rpm..
Now lets say u take a 36 volt motor set to spin at 2400 rpm..run that on the 36 volts...u may gain some torque with the bigger motor , but top speed will still be 12 mph...so running the 24 volt motor on 50 v will give a wayyy higher top speed than a 36 volt motor on 50 v
So the equation for rpm voltage ..a motor like the 24 v spins at 2650 rpm stock.so divide...110 rpm per volt applied.
110rpms times 50 volts = 5500 rpm..
If the stock bike did 12 mph on 2650 it will do more than double on 50 v.roughly 25.5 mph ...thats not math just a guess..the rest was real math.
Don't forget that when you double the voltage you also double the amp draw. I don't think I would overvolt a 24 volt motor much over 36 volts, else it won't last very long.
The hairs..its hit or miss .a guy had his 24 v on 48 for months no issue...basicloudoug overvolted the crap out of everything w few issues.also the motors are dirt cheap and hes only running 30 amp controller so that will limit the torque and pea amperage draw
Voltage boost 24 -> 36v on the fly

Nah, thought about running another controller and […]