I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By thegnman
Just recently got a couple of s500 scooters I overvolted the one to 36v and it seems to run fine on stock electronics . I wanted to goto a 48v or 60v system but can't get any help with parts stores online. I wanted to know if the currie motors are the only ones that drop in and if so which one would anyone suggest. If other aftermarket motors could be a direct fit which ones. I saw a 48v 500watt for $50 but I don't think the bolt pattern will work. I suppose I need a speed controller that will handle the volts too. I'm near postive its a 5pin on it now.. thx for any help..Rob

By aidanworthington
they do do a 1000w motor

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/motors36volt.html
(bottom of the page)

36V 1000W electric scooter motor. Powerful four brush permanent magnet electric motor design with 100% ball bearing construction. 11 tooth sprocket for #25 chain. 25" long power leads with connector at end. 3 bolt mounting bracket measures 3-7/8" center to center distance between holes. Dimensions: 4"(H) x 4"(W) x 5-1/4"(L) including shaft. Weight 8 lbs.

but other than that its time to get fabricating
a simple motor adapter plate should work
then you can use any motor
probily the best idea
By thegnman
Ok thx what about a controller and do I need a new throttle . I take it this setup is for 48v or can that motor handle 60v
By aidanworthington
throtle should be ok as there universal (3 wire)
controler id go for a programable kelly persnaly

if you can wire it to 36v insted that will be better
1000w has more torque than a over volted 500w
http://kellycontroller.com/kds72050e50a ... p-760.html

(but for the best results u need to use a universal motor
which will involve a motor plate adapter if you can use power tools thats the way to go)
By thegnman
You feel the 1000w @ 36v will be faster than a 500w @ 48v. Or how about running the 1000w @ 48v.. what kind of speeds should I expect..thx
By thegnman
I just checked out the controller it looks like I'm going to have to do some wire splicing . If I wanted to advoid all that and just plug and go which Currie controller would I need. Does it need to be a 48v controller if I plan on running 48v.
By aidanworthington
just go with the kelly
there multi voltage and dont cost that much extra
plus there programable so if you do overvolt you can keep the ampage in check
they do a 24v to 72v which would be perfect for this project and others
http://kellycontroller.com/Mini-Motor-Controller.php

(If you do choose to use a scooter controler a 48v controler is better than overvolting a 36v)
By thegnman
Ok ill go with the kelly but which one, is 30amps goin to do it. Or will I be pulling more than that if I ran a 48v system?
By tomjasz
Does this open up more possibilities? Any chance of an outrunner that would work?

http://www.radicalrc.com/item/Brushless ... ers-104239
Attachments
Brushless-Motor-Adapter-Plate-for-Schwinn-Currie-Scooters104239-4250.jpg
Brushless-Motor-Adapter-Plate-for-Schwinn-Currie-Scooters104239-4250.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
By aidanworthington
alien do outrunners specaly desined for ev,s
and allso do a helpfull throttle interface for the rc controler

if you do go down the outrunner route
ul need a motor that is over (1kg) 5000w
and about 130-150 kv and run if from a 150 amp rc controler

http://alienpowersystem.com/product-cat ... tors/80mm/

when done corectly rc powerd scooters can be awsome
By tomjasz
Thanks, that's what I'm trying to sort out. Just what IS done right. Any experience and opinions on possible HK choices? I'm barely up to speed on my E Bikes moving into RC stuff has me quite confused...
By maurtis
You might want to check out the forums at endless-sphere for serious in-depth discussions on RC motors for bikes and scooters: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/

I lurked and posted there extensively while working on my eBikes. They tend to be a verbose bunch so there is a lot to wade through, but the info is there. Here we tend to roll out low cost but fun toys for adults to screw around on. There, they like to build more serious multi-thousand dollar vehicles.

That being said, I plan on doing something with a large RC motor at some point myself. That will likely be well after your project is built, though.

Good luck!
By robnewyork
kiss. i remind myself all the time,reliable and fast mix, range and reliable mix, fast reliable and range dont@@@@@
be realistic have ur expectations layed out it will guide you
By tomjasz
Great advice. Yes, I've noticed the difference in approaches. Which is exactly why I am here. To keep a couple of soots running on a budget. I am also using one scoot to learn about running Lipo on this scale before I start using HK stuff on my mid drive bikes. Thanks you two, you're a great help.
By tomjasz
maurtis wrote:You might want to check out the forums at endless-sphere for serious in-depth discussions on RC motors for bikes and scooters: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/

I lurked and posted there extensively while working on my eBikes. They tend to be a verbose bunch so there is a lot to wade through, but the info is there. Here we tend to roll out low cost but fun toys for adults to screw around on. There, they like to build more serious multi-thousand dollar vehicles.

That being said, I plan on doing something with a large RC motor at some point myself. That will likely be well after your project is built, though.

Good luck!
My RC project has a LONG way to go. You might beat me. I am just starting to collect ideas and have a lot of bits and pieces to accumulate first. AND I have to move slow to get them by the Mrs. and a tight budget. I'm selling off bits and pieces from previous adventure and hobbies and funding new bits and pieces. Heck a charger without power supply for Lipo is $90-120. The thing about a pension is you don't get raises. Or very small ones.
By maurtis
Yup, that is why I fix and flip scooters and minibikes to fund my projects. That way the Mrs. has nothing to complain about. It keeps me busy at home instead of out riding my motorcycle on the weekends, and does not take money from the bank accounts. But it does mean that a build will take a month or so instead of a week. But that gives us more time to plan.
By tomjasz
So is the reason we need to use larger motors the fact we're driving a set of sprockets and chains? Folks are using 63MM outrunners on friction drives for some decent speeds.

Then the next question becomes what are the alternatives for inrunners? I'm reading threads like crazy and it gets difficult sorting out some of the terms or motor names you all are already familiar with...As I run across them again I'm going to post.
By tomjasz
OK I having trouble understanding why folks are saying we need big out runners to drive these little scooters when e bike are using much smallers motors as friction drives on bikes and getting 20 mph with 26" wheels.

http://www.commuterbooster.com/shopping-list

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... start=1200
By aidanworthington
First off all friction drives are a bad idea
out runner motors are not desined for that type of load
(the only advantage of a friction drive is the gear down but ul thow all durability out of the window)

another thing to take into consideration is how these motors are labled
for example a standard 250w unite motor will output 250w all day with no issues
but a 1000w outrunner will not be able to match that.
Out runners only make sence if you go big.
Big outrunners arnt that expensive anyway considering what a 1000w unite costs

The main problem with rc motors is gearing them down to a usefull speed
im doing a inrunner project and my gearbox is a work of art
but if i were to use just a simple chain and sprocket the whole project wouldn't work
By robnewyork
8mm bore sprocket may be hard to find, u can get a 9 tooth 1/4 inch which is 6.35mm and a 8mm drill bit if u do it precisely it will work.conversely if available u can get a 5/`6th or 9mm bore sprocket if available and make an aluminum can shim,
By tomjasz
aidanworthington wrote:they start at a 8 tooth
http://www.beltingonline.com/6mm8-41-1- ... cket-10880

OOPS!! Thanks for the save! It looks like the smallest would be a 13 tooth with a 8MM bore? Am I reading the chart correctly?

Now to impose on a UK pal to send me a couple of 13T.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 12.19.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 12.19.51 PM.png (84.69 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
By tomjasz
Disregard, I missed the other link until now. Perfect!!!
By tomjasz
aidanworthington wrote:did u order

No, I have to many irons in the fire today. I have to wait till I'm refunded. Bay sales will have me funded buy early next week. But then I have 6 parts orders from my new little parts business to get off. Retired and I still run out of time.

Any reason you're asking?

EDIT, price is higher on eBay US and the buy won't quote shipping. Which in my experience is brutal. Of all places the EU is the most expensive to ship to or from. Well excluding Israel.
By tomjasz
Thanks the UK source has agreed to ship for £5 down from £12.50 originally quoted. I am ordering but the project is going to sit on hold for a few months even though I will have the parts. To many projects, but hopefully by summer I'll have the bits lined up so when I have the time everything will be in place.

I appreciate your curiosity and guidance, it's been invaluable. I this instance you saved me from a near disaster and a wasted motor.

Now I'm stuck until my balance charger gets here. Another Hobby King back order. I probably will regret noy getting the iCharger 10s but I can make do with the 8s at less than hals the cost. I imagine I'll eventually want a couple of chargers anyway. The 18650 spacers arrived today. They will give the recycled pack better cooling buy having the cells spaced neatly. The China parts are cheap but the pieces drag out with the 14-40 day shipping times. Fortunately the projects will get easier since the pain of finding and sourcing the bits is almost done.

Thanks again!

Tom
Last edited by tomjasz on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tomjasz
robnewyork wrote:8mm bore sprocket may be hard to find,

Whoa! Wait a minute. I missed this one, I have to stop listening to you Rob and look harder! :lol:

11 Tooth 8mm Bore Sprocket for #25 Chain
1" OD, 8mm ID. Two set screws.
Item # SPR-2511A $9.95

This will work and is from electric scooter parts. A simple dimple in the shaft and it should be good? No? The only issue might be motor shaft spacing. but the shaft it long enough. Am I missed another detail?
Attachments
11T 8mm.jpg
11T 8mm.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]

MX500 48v 2kW BLDC build

its this motor, 48v 2000w: https://www.aliexpress[…]