I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

Hello guys,
this is Lorenzo from Italy.
I'm in this crazy world of electric scooter since a month. I'm quite satisfied of the stock configuration 1000w 36v SLA batteries on stock chinese controller but....i want more speed but not suffering for a loss of torque (i'm not slim... :roll: ).
So, i'd like to have some suggestions from you guys on how to reach my target.
Some specifications:

1. Budget for modding can reach about 100-150USD (not calculating custom duties...).

2. i can change everything, but i'd like to mantain the stock motor: quite impossible to get a better one, industrial or golf cart like for a reasonable price. So this is my biggest limitation.

3. At the beginning, i will maintain the original SLA batteries. In the future, i'm planning to switch on LiFePo but not know.

4. I'd like to reach a reasonable 25 upto 30 mph. Today i'm stuck on 20 :(

5. Not a problem in buying from China/USA. I have to time to wait...

6. I'm a DIYer: i can do quite everything by myself...with a good tutorial: so configurations/tutorial/pics/videos are greatly appreciated!!

I've been waiting for your suggestions!

Lorenzo

PS: sorry for my english...

I checked it better. The motor is a my1020 unite 36v 800w so no 1000w.
While the controller is a Chinese no brand 36v 800w.
Batteries do maintain for 8 mile at full throttle, more if half throttle.
Controller is rated to 35A/18A meaning perhaps that current is limited to 18A (so power output should be roughly 36v x 18A x 78% = 505w more or less...).
This configuration is Torquy but not enough for me.
Since I think that the motor can afford a full 800w output I was thinking to:

1. Overvolting to 48v and tuning gear changing sprockets and s
... Continued

To get roughly the speed without a loss of torque (overvolt in for top speed and changing sprocket to regain torque. Am I wrong?)

2. Overvolting to 48v + changing controller for more current to flow. Ok, but which one? I read a lot of post about the beast yk43b, but I'm quite sure it will fry my motor in second due to the initial current at low speed. Kelly controllers seems good for programming a current limiter but expensive to get one in Italy and not easy to wire. So, a good alternative?
robnewyork wrote:ur right , overvolt and regear, or yk43b , pick ur posion.
Just bought a new battery... Let's see what happens with 48v on stock 36v controller. For gearing what you suggest to not loose to much on speed (now I'm on stock 11/55)?
Iv had success using a kelly 50-100amp controler with this motor
and it made for a nippy ride.
I set the controler at 45 amp with a soft start. (to protect the motor)
My top speed was only 25mph but it could climb any hill with ease
and pull my 13 stone easy using a 11/64 ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6T7jwKP5oI

WORD OF WARNING THESE MOTORS COOK EASY
SO BE CAREFULL
aidanworthington wrote:Iv had success using a kelly 50-100amp controler with this motor
and it made for a nippy ride.
I set the controler at 45 amp with a soft start. (to protect the motor)
My top speed was only 25mph but it could climb any hill with ease
and pull my 13 stone easy using a 11/64 ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6T7jwKP5oI

WORD OF WARNING THESE MOTORS COOK EASY
SO BE CAREFULL
Thanks Aiden. May I ask you the exact wiring diagram you have used to connect your kelly controller to motor and stuff? I gave a look at the pdf on kelly website but I found them a bit difficult to understand... I just made a platform to hold extra batteries and a controller eventually. So no problem for space. Still I have some problem for electronic DIY!
Ok... Just a little update. Overvoltung to 48v in Stock controller and stock gearing made me reach 23mph instead of 20. Not bad considering that I'm not a slim guy...
... However Santa brought me a gift: the beast yk43b!
I didn't swap it yet with stock controller. Any suggestions to not fry the motor?
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]