I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum, but I am a veteran of taking everything possible apart, and putting them all back together (hopefully with improvements aesthetically, or performance wise).

My son's 4th birthday, and I bought him a Razor Quad (version 19). His big sister passed down her pink barbie jeep, but I can't stand to see the poor kid cruise around the cul de sac anymore, riding that plastic contraption. I would love to buy him a little 50cc ride on, but wife wasn't having it, so I opted for the Razor Quad, and I have already disassembled it completely, and am in the process of converting to 36v. First, I have to replicate the Kawasaki KXF50, to make it look better than the Pink Barbie Jeep

My son's favorite color is green, so to make him even happier, I have totally stripped the quad plastic fairing, sanded, cleaned, degreased/stripped, washed....Then adhesive promoter, and a plastic primer......

20160222_225738.png
Stickers removed, stripped, sanded, wax and oil removal, dish soap, air blasted, adhesion promoter, plastic primer

After letting the primer dry, I rattlecanned some Grabber Green enamel with 2 light coats, and 1 medium coat. That is curing right now. Once it does, I will hit it with a few more thin coats to completely cover, let that cure, then hit the nose with some Black enamel for the contrast.....

20160224_182109.png
Grabber Green engine enamel, 2 thin coats with 10 minutes in between, and 1 medium coat...Needs a few more coats.

Also I have stripped, etched and primed, and enameled/clearcoated the stock wheels, for that KFX50 look...

20160224_182011.png
Stripped Razor Quad wheels, etched/primed them, and rattlecanned some Wheel enamel and Clearcoat..

Lastly, I have added 3" to the wheelbase, front and rear, to aid in the stability.

Now, I have 3 Chrome SLA 12v 15ah batteries, and plan to build a custom tray to hold them. I plan to add a 36v controller and throttle, but I have not chosen which ones to purchase yet. The easiest step, would be to plug and play the MX-650 parts, with 36v/30a controller, but I am interested in copying xcntrk's build memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4710 , as he used the CT-660B9 36v/40A controller. I have a very steep driveway, and would really like the extra power/torque with his setup (also using the 54 tooth sprocket changeover), but I am unsure which direction to go. If I used the MX-650 controller, would I skip the sprocket changeover?. Also, xcntrk did not mention swapping his throttle out for a 36v one, but I would like to do that, as well as add an inline power lockout switch, and although reverse would be nice, I may just skip that added feature.

My questions are....

-Codeman put up a nice battery connection diagram for 3 12v batteries in series for 36v, but he only had one 30A inline fuse between battery 1 and 2, but no inline fuse between 2 and 3. Would the second inline fuse be necessary?

-If using xcntrk's build with the 36v/40a controller, would you still stick with the 30a inline fuses?

-In order to add some 12v accessories, what would be the best way to wire them? I would rather not add an additional 12v battery, so maybe using a 36w to 12v golf cart voltage reducer, wired directly to the 36v (series) positve and negative terminals with it's own inline power switch?

Thanks in advance for any all suggestions/recommendations. Ill take as many photos as I can once I complete the build. (My wife is going to kill me, as my son's birthday was February 16th!

Bradford
Sounds like a good plan. Easiest thing to do is buy a mx500 or mx650 throttle (you do need a new throttle) and controller and just switch them out. I may have one I can sell you if you're interested. Are you planning on sticking with the stock motor? The stock motor won't get you up a very steep hill.
noahmercier wrote:Are you planning on sticking with the stock motor? The stock motor won't get you up a very steep hill.

Yes Noah, I was planning on keeping the motor stock, at least until I burn the motor out. I would definitely consider upgrading the motor, but Codeman had a nice long post, describing the challenges of upgrading the stock motor on the Quad, stating it difficult to do so without some major welding and possible relocation of the disc brake etc...

I thought by copying xcntrk's build, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2545 with the extra power from the 36v/40a controller (Model: CT-660B9) , and enlarging the axle sprocket from a 47t to a 54t, I may just have enough torque to get up my driveway. My daughters old 12v pink Barbie jeep makes it up the driveway, as long as you never let up on the throttle once you have the Jeep going up the driveway. Additionally, my 4 year old son is currently only 40 lbs,, so I have that in my favor for now.

Thanks for the reply!
Bradford
AVInstaller wrote:-Codeman put up a nice battery connection diagram for 3 12v batteries in series for 36v, but he only had one 30A inline fuse between battery 1 and 2, but no inline fuse between 2 and 3. Would the second inline fuse be necessary?

-If using xcntrk's build with the 36v/40a controller, would you still stick with the 30a inline fuses?

-In order to add some 12v accessories, what would be the best way to wire them? I would rather not add an additional 12v battery, so maybe using a 36w to 12v golf cart voltage reducer, wired directly to the 36v (series) positve and negative terminals with it's own inline power switch?

welcome to the forum, love that attention to detail and extra steps taken! to answer:

- you'll only need one inline fuse

- i would match the fuse to the controller rating. if the controller is cheap enough and seems capable i might run a slighter higher rated fuse, say 40a fuse for a 30a rated controller.

- ideally a DC-DC converter, wired so that it powers up when the controller powers up. quite a few options there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-5V-36V-to ... Sw5VFWOdwr

http://www.wildscooterparts.com/univers ... r-36w.html
noahmercier wrote:A 36v 40a controller will give it more amps which will give it a good amount of torque but will reduce the life of the motor.

Thanks again for your input Noah!

I definitely understand how a lot of these mods shorten the life of many components especially the electric motor. Doesn't swapping out the 47 tooth gear for the 54 tooth gear cause the motor to spin at slower rpms and therefore, partially helping to counteract the higher amperage the motor is experiencing? I know it is probably a crap shoot, but "xcntrk" has been running strong for over a year now, with his 55 lbs daughter riding regularly, sometimes with another passenger.

I'm currently stuck at the stage where the quad is in 50 pieces, waiting to install a new controller, except I don't know which one to go with :-\
The 40 amp controller is fine. You are right about the gearing. Turning slower helps balance the amp load. Buy chain. No biggie. The longterm wear of overvolting is not so bad given the trade off. I ran 60v for months on a 36v 650 watt mx. Sold it and they ran it. You have a geared motor aka a tank. Run 36v 40amp. ...aaaaaaannndddd.....go!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]