I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By Tylem28
We just purchased 2 razor ground force go karts for our 2 boys (6 and almost 9). They have been riding a modified power wheel (18v) for awhile. Looking to make some upgrades to these go karts. Looking to do a 36v or 48v set up. I would like to make them a little faster and also increase some run time. Also I would like to keep them easy to charge. With our power wheels there's 2 different batteries and my wife isn't a fan of taking the batteries out to charge them. I just want something to plug in like they are stock. Can someone please help with what model / specs I need for both setups and also the best place to buy the parts? Also is there anyway to put the tires on these go karts that the Razor Dune Buggy has (they are rubber air filled tires) I wanted something with more grip and more importantly more ground clearance for going up curbs.

36v Set Up
Type of Batteries?
Control specs
Motor Specs (500w, 750w, 1000w) which to go with
Charger?
Any spare parts / extras I need or items I'm missing?

Same goes with a 48v set up what all do I need should I purchase?
Any modifications would need to be made?
By robnewyork
the only thing you cant do without major hassle is change the wheels //
36v is the most common mod/.this mod will require batteries, a charger, a new controller and throttle , and a toggle switch.. the 36v charger will plug right into the stock port, and the stock port will wire right to the new controller.

controller
LOOK BELOW AT ZENS LINK
throttle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-wire-hall-thr ... SwEa5XPp-D
charger
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Volt-1-5A-Ba ... SwLnlWpZ72
batteries that will give u 60 minutes run time
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-12AH-SLA-Ba ... 3KJsAwRusw
any good toggle from hardware store will do.. AS for the motor, you dont need to replace it immediately, but when u do people here have had good sucess with the currie 400-500 watt which bolts right in
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-Watt-24-Vol ... SwbPxXQb87
as for the wheels i did them ages ago

http://s746.photobucket.com/user/robnew ... rt=3&o=170

flip through photos u will see i machined hugs to fit
By Tylem28
Wow thank you so much! Would it be better go straight 48v or stick with 36v. With the setup listed above do you know an approx top speed? (Top speed without replacing motor and top speed with replacing motor) Thanks for all your help!
By Tylem28
Sorry couple other quick questions, I noticed the motor you listed is a 24v motor. Would I be better to replace that with a 36v instead of a 24v motor? Also the throttle is a twist type. I would like to keep the push button instead of the twist. Lastly do you have any pictures on how you put the batteries in and cover for the motor and batteries?
By robnewyork
You cant run 48v on a 24v motor, it will fry after 5 minutes. No difference in top speed from the stock motor to the aftermarket, top speed should be 18 mph either way assuming it does 12 mph now
By robnewyork
Tylem28 wrote:Sorry couple other quick questions, I noticed the motor you listed is a 24v motor. Would I be better to replace that with a 36v instead of a 24v motor? Also the throttle is a twist type. I would like to keep the push button instead of the twist. Lastly do you have any pictures on how you put the batteries in and cover for the motor and batteries?

the idea of running the 24v motor is the voltage corresponds to rpm.. a 24v motor at 36v will run 150 percent of stock rpm so 3900 lets say
a 36v motor run at 36 runs the suggested rpm giving the same top speed (no gain at all
yes you can do a thumb throttle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36v-Electric-th ... Swm8VU1F6e
the 4th wire is for the meter, u can worry about that later.
Theres no instructions as far as mounting the batteries , thats up to you and always custom.. Some guys fit them under the lid and others do not.
another throttle option thats simpler but will take 3 weeks to arrive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Scoote ... Sw9N1VliTI
By robnewyork
do some searches and you will see 36v mod is the most common by far and people put the larger batteries all over. to maintain the stock runtime with the mod you need larger batteries because ur running more wattage than stock.
By Tylem28
Thank you. Can I use the 36v 500 watt controller with the stock motor and just an extra battery?

Do you need to replace the throttle as well or is that optional?

Do they make a charger that keeps the stock charging port or do you need to replace the cheating poet as well?
By robnewyork
The stock charging port matches the 36v charger .no problem there .
The cheap method is to run the stock throttle controller combo at 36 v but this comes with lots of other work like a battery gauge, and hoping the controller works on 36v works on the stock controller.yes the new controller will run the stock motor as planned but no u cant use the stock throttle.one is a hall and other is simply a switch.. As far as using the 2 batteries u have plus an extra . it can be done but the run time will be very very short
By robnewyork
Also the batteries will not last long. The lower capacity of the older batteries will either kill them or kill the new battery over time.. When charging the new battery will take on more voltage as the older batteries fail to take on a full charge..
By Tylem28
okay thank you. I just bought a new ground force (2 total) 1 is less than a week old and the 2nd I will have in a couple of days. If I add another 12v 7ah battery my run time will be shorter than the standard 40-45 minutes? I understand more power = more drain on the batteries, How much shorter do you think the run time would be? If I replace all the batteries I would go with 3 12v 12ah batteries in all likely hood.

So just to be clear I need to order the following at the minimum....
- 1 extra batter 12v 7ah (ideal to replace with three 12v 12ah batteries

- 36v 500w Controller (this would also allow me to use in the future if I wanted to run a bigger motor 24v 500w correct?)

- New Throttle (36v) trigger style

- 36v Charger

- Toggle Switch (what type and what voltage on this? What is this for?)

By zen_racer
Tylem28 wrote: Toggle Switch (what type and what voltage on this? What is this for?)

with three 12Ah the battery cover won't fit. you'll need the toggle switch to turn the controller on/off. this switch will be connected to the "power lock" plug on the controller...
By robnewyork
okay thank you. I just bought a new ground force (2 total) 1 is less than a week old and the 2nd I will have in a couple of days. If I add another 12v 7ah battery my run time will be shorter than the standard 40-45 minutes? I understand more power = more drain on the batteries, How much shorter do you think the run time would be? If I replace all the batteries I would go with 3 12v 12ah batteries in all likely hood.

So just to be clear I need to order the following at the minimum....
- 1 extra batter 12v 7ah (ideal to replace with three 12v 12ah batteries"""""
thats correect run time wil be 20 minutes

As for the coontroller i did not see it , make sure its 36v, BRUSHED, has3 wire throttle
Charger looks fine
Throttle appears okay, it doesnt specify hall but the wire count adds up as far as having a built in switch along with yellow voltage indicator

if u use the throttle as the on off switch which it is indicated to do you wont need a toggle
By Tylem28
So it's okay to buy a controller that has extra connectors? Just don't use them? Do I need to close the circuit for the wir s not used or just leave them unplugged?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]