I want to go faster.

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By J0SH44
I am looking to add a little speed to some newly-acquired e200 (2 e200s and 1 e275) Razor scooters. I would like to do some easy mods to boost some speed. After reading some posts I have a few ideas but thought it would be best to get some expert opinion before I attempt to execute. Starting off with the sprocket on the end of the motor. It looks like a simple swap for a sprocket with more teeth would give me a speed boost while negatively impacting torque. My kids will not accelerate as fast but still should reach a faster speed as they are fairly light weight. My question is, how do I know exactly what size sprocket do i want? I believe i have the 'D Type" on my e275 as it looks like it has just one flat side. Does that sound correct. Where is the best place to look to find replacement sprockets?
The other option I believe I want to look into is upgrading to 36volts. Right now the scoots are using the original batteries and there are up to 5 years use on some of these, so new batteries are probably needed even if i do not convert to 36volt. I am thinking about upping the amp hours on these as well if i can come up with something that will allow me up raise the deck while keeping it sealed up fairly well. Anyway, if i do upgrade to 36volt, do I need to get a new controller and throttle as well? If i do not, will I notice the boost, am I just going to burn something up quickly? I am not looking to invest too much, i know the batteries for three scooters is going to use up quite a bit of the budget--thankfully i am within an hour of the Crown Battery plant and can just stop in and buy some fresh off the floor at a good price and see how they fit in the scooter before buying.
I am thankful for any information and advice you can give. If you have links to good sources for any of the upgrades, that would be great as well.
I do have some pics of the scooter if that would help. I think I attached a pic of the sprocket on the e275 in case that is helpful.
20180910_200717.jpg
Sprocket on e275
20180910_200717.jpg (572.67 KiB) Viewed 931 times

By zen_racer
J0SH44 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:32 pm I am looking to add a little speed to some newly-acquired e200 (2 e200s and 1 e275) Razor scooters. I would like to do some easy mods to boost some speed. After reading some posts I have a few ideas but thought it would be best to get some expert opinion before I attempt to execute. Starting off with the sprocket on the end of the motor. It looks like a simple swap for a sprocket with more teeth would give me a speed boost while negatively impacting torque. My kids will not accelerate as fast but still should reach a faster speed as they are fairly light weight. My question is, how do I know exactly what size sprocket do i want? I believe i have the 'D Type" on my e275 as it looks like it has just one flat side. Does that sound correct. Where is the best place to look to find replacement sprockets?
i believe that motor has the 10mm shaft. take the sprocket off and measure it to be sure. ESP has a great selection of sprockets:

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/spr ... motor.html

The other option I believe I want to look into is upgrading to 36volts. Right now the scoots are using the original batteries and there are up to 5 years use on some of these, so new batteries are probably needed even if i do not convert to 36volt. I am thinking about upping the amp hours on these as well if i can come up with something that will allow me up raise the deck while keeping it sealed up fairly well. Anyway, if i do upgrade to 36volt, do I need to get a new controller and throttle as well? If i do not, will I notice the boost, am I just going to burn something up quickly? I am not looking to invest too much, i know the batteries for three scooters is going to use up quite a bit of the budget--thankfully i am within an hour of the Crown Battery plant and can just stop in and buy some fresh off the floor at a good price and see how they fit in the scooter before buying.
to go 36v you'll want to get a new controller and throttle. i'm not even sure those stock 24v controllers will let you run at 36v and won't have a long lifespan if they do.

what is your budget and how much fabrication are you willing to do or spend on? fitting that 3rd 12v will be a challenge...
By J0SH44
I will try to measure the shaft but I am not sure I have something that will accurately distinguish between 8 and 10mm. Once i figure it out, it looks like there isn't any sprockets with more teeth that are D style, the next increase (13 teeth) is a 'Double D" sprocket. Is the 'Double D' style something i can make fit with a file? Would it be worth it.

I wasn't sure if i needed the controller and throttle. Not sure if I want to spend that much in addition to all new batteries. If I were to buy a controller and throttle, would I just find those on ESP too or is eBay the way to go? Are there particular ones I should look for?

As far as fitting three 12v under the deck, i figured I would have to do some modifications--maybe raise the deck or something like that. I was looking around in the Projects section to see if someone has already done that, but I didn't see anything.
By zen_racer
if you have a ruler with both metric and inch marks that should suffice, or even a cheap pair of calipers will work. if you notice in that ESP link the sprockets will have two measurements such as 8mm x 10mm. 8mm is the diameter from the flat side, 10mm the diameter on the rounded part of the shaft end.

if you have metal fabrication skills, anything is possible. outside of that, i wouldnt recommend trying to modify a sprocket to fit a shaft, or vice versa... it's not worth the time and effort.

same thing with raising the deck, it'll take fabrication to do it right. the alternatives would be to mount the 3rd battery on the steering column or on top of the deck, or use a different battery chemistry besides SLA. for example, you may be able to fit two hoverboard battery packs underneath the deck. something to consider when you add up short/long term expenses for this build.

a new controller and throttle would be needed to run 36v because the stock Razor controller is rated for 24v. the throttle would have to be replaced because the wiring scheme is non-standard, so there's a good chance it won't work with any other controller. if you do decide to buy a new controller and throttle, ebay is the way to go or better yet exclude the ebay middle man and get it direct from aliexpress. ESP is convenient because it US based but there's significant markup on the parts they sell...
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]