Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By synx
FPV pilots get bored in winter so I started an ArduRover project using a Razor dirt quad that was collecting dust in the garage for 2yrs. Vehicle is fully autonomous, waypoint capable and "follow me" mode which can follow and film you as you run, skate, bike, etc. 2x sonar sensors for sense and avoid in autonomous modes. FPV setup: 433mHz for long range control, 1.3gHz for video. Sony Effio-V, Pixhawk running Ardurover,Ublox, minimOSD. Firgelli 150lb linear actuator for steering, Syren50 running 24v on stock motor. Considering a larger motor on 36v but stock setup is effecient with <10amp draw over most terrain. Test rig currently has 3x 12v 15ah (2x 12v motor, 1x 12v actuator+fpv deck). 2x 12v 40ah arrive this week.

Recent FPV field test:

By synx
Hey guys, happy to hear you like the project so far. I'm logging progress, taking lots of pics and plan to post a full build thread soon. The FAA has put absurd restrictions on our larger wings/planes so this will keep me busy for a bit when I'm not flying from a bush :twisted: The rover has been out on several long-range missions and performing well. A bit more torque may be in order with the heavier 40ah packs but other than that it's a fun machine for remote ground exploration. That 1HP Leeson Rob and others here have used is tempting. A friend joined me last weekend with a modded X-Maxx (6s) and we let em loose a mile out through the woods and a gravel/sand pit.
Some footage from the journey home. More to come soon, along with better pics if interested.

https://flic.kr/p/DLxh5H
https://flic.kr/p/DSUrgS
https://flic.kr/p/EhH5JJ
https://flic.kr/p/DnDoiK
By zen_racer
very cool project, thanks for taking the time to share the details!

i'm especially interested in the controller as they seem like they viable alternative to the yi-yun, kelly, and RC ESC that are commonly used...
By Quinc
synx wrote:Image

Great video! This thing is awesome!
Couple question:

What servo you are using. Where did you get it? And how strong are they? I am looking at making a remote control jetski/boat for my 2 year old and need something can handle the thrust of a jet pump.

Second question is what are you using for video that can transmit a mile?! :shock:

Keep the pictures and videos coming! :D
By synx
Quinc wrote:
synx wrote:Image

Great video! This thing is awesome!
Couple question:

What servo you are using. Where did you get it? And how strong are they? I am looking at making a remote control jetski/boat for my 2 year old and need something can handle the thrust of a jet pump.

Second question is what are you using for video that can transmit a mile?! :shock:

Keep the pictures and videos coming! :D

Thanks! RE: Servo/steering -I chose to go with a linear feedback actuator as they're very strong and durable. It has a potentiometer similar to a servo where it returns to center after extending/retracting. The Firgelli actuator I'm using has 150lb dynamic force, 300lb static. Very strong but the downside is speed with these. A 2" 150lb actuator moves at roughly .5"/sec. This is plenty fast for my application but not ideal for a fast moving vehicle. Typical servos (HiTec, etc) are faster but are prone to stripping and linkages failing under load/rough terrain. I'm still tuning the steering but so far it's worked out pretty well. Sure, you could mount one on a boat for rudder control but if you have the option I'd look into differential thrust (use two motors independently to steer). The Syren controller I'm using now actually has this feature (think of how a tank moves).

RE: Video - A mile is no problem. I've sent fixed wing FPV rigs beyond 12miles. Both the video and control systems we use are capable of 20-30miles in clean environments. Line of sight is still needed for our links so it becomes much more challenging sending a ground vehicle out far due to RF blocking structures (trees, walls, metal, concrete) and the fresnal zone. The frequencies I'm using on this rig (433mHz/rc, 1280mHz/video) have excellent penetration qualities. Higher video frequencies such as 5.8gHz don't penetrate well and aren't ideal for ground vehicles.

@Rob -Top speed of Rover? 8-10mph currently as it's a... Rover :) It can drive on its own, navigate around objects on its own, and find its way back home after a mission. There's a few applications I have in mind, none of them need speed. I do need more torque with the 40ah batts though (heavy) and would love to hear some suggestions.
By Quinc
Rob is deff the guy to talk to when it comes to motors and Torque. I think the stock motor on the atv is 350watt. You could upgrade to a 500w 24v motor for a little more power and keep decent battery life. Best thing would be to change the gearing or add a second 350watt motor.

Some info here on upgrades:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1610
By synx
The short wheelbase worries me. Faster than 15mph I think it may flip easy. No independent suspension, I think it's better suited for a slower rover, especially with the actuator steering. Currently at almost 180min runtime on 24v. I definitely need more torque, but on the fence about whether to go w/ industrial, or go with a 500w, 36v, sprocket and call it a day.

More random outings :)

By noahmercier
If you want range and torque your best bet is brushless. However, they only come in 48v and are expensive. I also have one I could sell you but you would need to add two batteries.
By synx
That's the compromise. This machine is a biznitch to transport now. Using 2x 12v 15ah for the actuator (redundancy is nice), I can't see another 4x 12v for a 48v setup that would give me the 2+ hrs I'm looking for. I'm not one to take the easy way out but going w/ a new 350w w/gear reduction, 36v (3x 20-30ah) w/ sprocket may be the path to a bit more torque without compromising too much efficiency and a reasonable AUW. To move beyond 24v will require new batts, a $200 controller ( 36v Vyper) and a 90a current sensor for Pixhawk. So there are some costs to ponder as well.
By synx
Late night driving from my living room. Got the right side of my light bar active (32w Cree XML on each side). I'll need to raise the bar up a few inches to prevent the shadowing but it's very bright.

By synx
Roughly $1200 not counting the cost of the quad (bought new 3yrs ago). This isn't that bad compared to building fixed wing FPV rigs :twisted:
By psylokz
Been a while since I dropped in for an update. I got locked out of my acct here (synx) last year and despite many attempts to recover the login info I get no emails. After many months I tried again today to recover the account but still I receive no mail after submitting "forgot password" :roll: Anyways, a few pics and a vid showing a short autonomous mission. I migrated from APM 2.6 to a Pixhawk w/ Here GPS (Ublox m8n) and moved the actuator up front to eliminate steering slop caused by using the mechanical linkages. Eliminated much of the play and navigation is much more accurate now. Now that the hardware and software is running smoothly, it's time to drop in a new motor. I grabbed a used 24v 1/3 HP 1800rpm Leeson which should provide more than enough torque for this machine. I had a 60t minibike sprocket here, which I modded to fit the stock hub. 14t on the Leeson, just waiting on a base/motor mount so I can begin testing. Gear calc is showing top speed of 18+mph @1800rpm which I'm hoping will be a good compromise. Easy enough to switch it up but hopefully some of you veterans can offer some input on gear ratios.
Pics: http://imgur.com/a/pHTEB
Short Autonomous Mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0bUDIfU_U
By psylokz
So I paid $60 (ebay) for the used Leeson but it shipped with no base. The base for the Leeson proved difficult to find. Leeson showed it back ordered at all distributors and after 3 weeks I decided to look around for a new motor. Not surprisingly I found it at the almighty, all seeing Amazon for $405. and added it to my cart just to watch it. Over the course of a week, I get reminders about it almost daily so I keep checking it. It went from $405. to $325., then $270., $175, $125, then $87! (Prime/free 2-day shipping). No way I could let that pass so I ordered it figuring it was some mistake and they'd cancel the order. Shows up today! So now I got two of these things and I'm thinking about a summer project I can actually ride on.
Rob, it looks like you have some experience w/ these motors. How much can they be over-volted and were you using the YK w/ your builds?
http://imgur.com/a/Tmo0k
By robnewyork
nice score, what are the specs on the motor ?? genrally, depending if it has internal fan , it can be overvolted 2x to 4 x.. yes, 4 times the rated voltage.. ive only run them on the yk43b and yk42-4.. but i think the new mini yk43 from ebay is a great compromise at about 55 amps metered..
By psylokz
OK I'm hunting for a chassis :)

In the meantime, I just got some parts in for this rover. Do you see a problem with the distance between the motor and sprocket? Wondering if I need to bolt in an adjustable (tension) plate to raise it up a few inches.

http://imgur.com/a/1qvXX
By psylokz
Thanks Rob. Had some time to hammer out some tuning issues this week. Here's a vid of it operating on 24v. 20mph and better torque than it had. 36v controller (Vyper) should be here next week. I'll probably have to drop the motor sprocket down to a 10t to cut some speed.
By psylokz
Also the Leeson base lined up pretty well w/ the plate/area used to mount the stock motor. Zero welding involved. 15min w/ a 5/16 bit, hex screws, lock nuts, washers and it was done. I did have to remove the rotor and caliper (sawzall).

Rides like a dream. ( with nightmare scenes inter[…]

schwinn s500 brushless outrunner

helps to understand a little physics of electrical[…]

E300 upgrades.

So the bigger motor won't chew up more power? I n[…]

machining services

http://forum.modifiedelectricscooters.com/viewtopi[…]