Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By rhyoo
Here's my current work in progress with schwinn s500. I bought this off craiglist for $30, my original intention is to part it out and use the back wheel assembly to do the chain drive conversion on my blow up s1000.Image
But when I received it, I instantly love the scooter. The body is compact but yet has a long wheelbase, tire is big enough to ensure stability like s1000, and red "hot rod" color really attracts me.
Image The battery compartment is small, but my set up is lipo packs and vesc, so the dimension should be a perfect fit.
I looked around and decided to buy alien sensored 6384 3500w brushless outrunner from Bruno. Specs is 130kv, so with my 16000 10s it should be 5200rpm although I know it would be far from that with load. But if my thinking is right, with programable vesc set to 50amp, this small scooter should be solid enough to walk around.
By rhyoo
I contacted Rob to put the motor on the existing currie motor base plate so everything should looks cleans and original.
His fabrication skills are amazing, everything is perfect fit, he even managed to make a cable wire escape that I didn't think off. I put everything on the scooter, put the cage on, aligning the chain and the mounting....voila!
If theres any of you don't have an easy access to machine shop, I encourage you to reach out to him. I know I would when I finish this project and move on to the bigger one :)
By rhyoo
I installed the headlight, rear 160mm disc brake rotor, rear tail light, and fan to cool down my vesc. I bought 2 pole rocker switch from ebay. The left switch is for headlight and tail light that I connect parallel, the right switch is for the fan. All of these will be powered by small sla battery for easy and convenient reason. I could always use the step down or bec on the esc, but I would like these small components to work individually and seperately.
By Riverie
Haha I'll go to highway if it has the speed like your mx500 Rob.
I just finished the bigger custom deck to make more space for my feet since I'll be standing up riding this scooter. Pretty happy how it turned out with this.
I also successfully connect the hall throttle to the esc. Now I need to find how to set up the esc to do the 100% full power. It's somewhere on the app configuration and I need to tune the voltage. Yesterday it was only up to 60% max throttle and it runs around 18-20 mph. The push on button on off switch also failed on me, so I guess I'll back to old trusty $7 battery switch again. I'm making the mounting for it now.
By rhyoo
How bad is electric sparks effecting the components Rob? I'm not talking about short circuit where you touch the + with - because I know that's obviously bad. I mean when you tried to connect the wire connectors and it sparks. Would it damage the components badly? I was suspecting that my on off switch dead because of that.
By rhyoo
Ic. Now another stupid questions. Do spark always coming from positive side of battery? Do spark still happen if there's no load on the other end?
The reason I ask this is because I always put the kill switch on positive current before it goes to esc. Let's say there's spark going on, positive side goes to kill switch before esc, when the spark happen the switch is at off position, but the negative side goes to esc directly....does this do any harm?
By rhyoo
Finished all the wiring, all set to go. I try to briefly test it on my apartment hallway and I almost landed on my butt. This thing is wild!!! I touch the throttle and it threw me back lol. I have to test it on street because I only did less than half throttle and I couldn't handle it on small hallway lol.
Now I need to set the esc to turn on the safe start function probably, or maybe lower the amp setting. Currently it set to 60a on the motor and 45a on the battery.
It's a beautiful day today ;)
By david coffin
helps to understand a little physics of electrical connections. battery-wise, power goes FROM the negative terminal TO the positive terminal. also given that most electronics have a ground that is connected to the negative side of power, means that having a switch on the positive only means an outrush of current, so to say, through the switch, as all the electrons that have come from the negative side of power supply, are largely already in the electronics waiting for an outrush route. imagine you opened a hose to an already full water reservoir, it's not hard on the water supply since the reservoir is already full, but if you opened the hose on a mostly empty reservoir, then there would have to be some kind of inrush of water to fill the void, and that could be hard on the reservoir. whoosh, sputter... hope this helps.. and yeah, the spark in the switch, the cheapest part of the circuit is the best place for it. way better to replace the switch than the whole ESC for some little component inside it that fails, taking the whole thing down with it..
By rhyoo
Everything is going fine and strong Rob. The disc brake works properly and perfect alignment. The 8cm brushless fan works great as the esc colling system, 12 gauge should be sufficient but I put 10 gauge to avoid the heat. Basically my "secret sauce" is thick wire and make it as short as possible from battery, esc, and to the motor :). Top speed is 26mph with 11t and 89t, I could push 30mph easily by changing the rear sprocket but I live in hilly area. The consequence is I have to be careful and easy on throttle because it really threw me back. My next change is putting the thumb throttle because I have trouble with twist throttle while standing up. Will post pics asap. This thing came out good :)
By rhyoo
I also build the compact lipo charging station using the remaining wood.
View of the "bay". It's perfectly snug fit with my lipo, fan, and vesc ;)
Don't expect any regular controller fit into this small tray. This is one of my reason why I also choose this fully programable vesc. I install the heat sink, 8cm brushless fan, and so far I don't see any issue with the heat.
By david coffin
its really nice, how you set up the disc brake caliper on yours. if you see some of my pictures, you'll see what i made do with nuts and bolts and clamps and so on since i don't have access to a welder.. but it works.
By rhyoo
I didn't weld at all on the disc brake. All I have to do is just to buy mount adapter on ebay, and from there you just need a spacer from home depot and adjust until the rotor align perfectly on your disc brake caliper :).
By robnewyork
sounds great ! .. thanks for helping out on forum.. got a new laptop and having trouble logging in from new computer.. the old one im on now is in the shop and not positioned well for typing
By rhyoo
Hey Rob. Thanks again for your help with the mounting for the alien motor. I consider this project pretty much done, all works fine and I already switch to thumb throttle. The scooter runs solid on Queens area and it's a heads turner everywhere I took him. People always give a compliment and asked where I bought it lol....
I'm sourcing and planning for the next bigger project on my s1000 right now. I'm torn between installing another outrunner or brushless hub motor that so far I prefer because of their clean looks and avoid my headache to mount it. Kelly controller would be my choice if I go that route. With my 16s lipo that thing should be fun.
By rhyoo
Got it Rob. Lots gathering info, browsing, and planning now. Hub motor is a no go, I contacted qs motor and they only have the one with scooter bike measurement 20cm fork clearance, mine is only 15cm. So looks like I'm going with brushless inrunner, and possibly kelly brushless controller. Would need your skills and help again I think. Will open a new thread once everything falls into place
MX500 Project

The brushless motor runs great and no heat or powe[…]