Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By OFFROADSCOOT
I picked up a NIB Monster Moto 36v 1000w electric minibike for $225. It's very well built. It uses the same frame as their gas engine bikes. First mod was to replace the SLA batteries with 12s 48v Lipo batteries which the stock controller ran fine. Increased top speed to around 22mph with decent torque. The bike ran good, but I needed more power to keep up with the Pukka mini bike. I got a second 36v 1000w motor and rear wheel assembly and am currently modding it for AWD. By my calculations with both motors being slightly overvolted, total power will be around 2400w with good torque and traction. I'll post riding impressions once its done.
Attachments
IMG_3668.jpg
IMG_3668.jpg (654.55 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
IMG_3669.jpg
IMG_3669.jpg (704.9 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
IMG_3652.jpg
IMG_3652.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
IMG_3633.PNG
IMG_3633.PNG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2261 times

By zen_racer
nice, just came across one today in craigslist and was wondering if i should make the guy an offer... build looks solid, looking forward to project updates thanks!
By OFFROADSCOOT
The AWD is working great! Had a little bit of wheelspin in the front drive so I regeared it a little higher. When that front tire hooks up the bike takes off hard no matter what terrain its on. It works really good in the sand and mud as well. The down side is it uses up the battery at a higher rate and I'm probably going to need a new front tire soon but its worth it! Top speed is around 24mph.

I have both controllers feeding off one battery pack. Turnigy Multistar 6S 12aH Batteries (x2) in series so 12S 48v 12aH.

If you can find one for around $200-$300 its a solid platform. I've built 2 more for friends (but not AWD).

Since I'm overvolting,, the stock 36v battery meter doesn't work so I added an analog gauge. I've also added some gear bags and a rifle scabbard. Here it is ready for neighborhood patrol!
Attachments
Voltmeter.jpg
Voltmeter.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
MONSTER_AWD.jpg
MONSTER_AWD.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
By OFFROADSCOOT
Thanks!

I've started on another Range Vehicle project! I've had a Big Wheel Yamaha BW80 from the 80s sitting in my garage for years waiting for me to do a top end and carb rebuild. I decided to convert it to electric! Huge tires and full suspension and brakes should work great on the range. I have it stripped to the frame and will probably build it as a minimalist rat rod. I haven't decided on what motor I'm going to put on it. I have a spare 1000w 36v laying around but I might use a larger industrial. The frame is bigger and heavier duty than most scooters.
Attachments
BW80.jpg
BW80.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
By zen_racer
the AWD mini bike i thought was going to be tough to top but that BW80 takes it to another level!

very interested in seeing how this turns out... you going to put gun turrets on that?
By Quinc
OFFROADSCOOT wrote:Thanks!

I've started on another Range Vehicle project! I've had a Big Wheel Yamaha BW80 from the 80s sitting in my garage for years waiting for me to do a top end and carb rebuild. I decided to convert it to electric! Huge tires and full suspension and brakes should work great on the range. I have it stripped to the frame and will probably build it as a minimalist rat rod. I haven't decided on what motor I'm going to put on it. I have a spare 1000w 36v laying around but I might use a larger industrial. The frame is bigger and heavier duty than most scooters.
You suck! :P I have been looking for a bw80 for years.. When I do find one it is clapped out and people think they are worth 800$.. I do have an extra z50 I am thinking about going street legal and electric on though. :)
By OFFROADSCOOT
Z50 would be a great mod! Had one when I was a kid, would spend hours a day riding around the yard with it. AlphaWheels on ebay sells a #35 D bore motor sprocket if you're looking for one. Most of the older minibikes used #35 or 420 chain. On my BW80 I'm going to make a new rear sprocket in #35 to match.
By OFFROADSCOOT
I haven't had time to do anything with the BigWheel but I did put some new Carlisle Xtrac Snowblower tires on the AWD Monster Moto! Really helps the front drive wheel hookup off road. No yard is safe!!!
Attachments
IMG_4093.jpg
IMG_4093.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
IMG_4091.jpg
IMG_4091.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
IMG_4088.jpg
IMG_4088.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
By OFFROADSCOOT
The only gas bike I have compared it too is my Coleman CT100 (100cc). The electric AWD has so much torque and traction it destroys the gas bike off the line all the way up to about 25mph where it tops off (Its an even bigger difference off road). The gas bike has the governor removed and has a higher top speed so it eventually catches up if the race is long enough. My buddy has the Coleman200 that has the 6.5hp motor, I'll have to race him sometime. His has a torque converter vs a clutch so it will be a good challenge!

Added an AWD emblem!
Attachments
AWD.jpg
AWD.jpg (66.25 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
By Subsurface
Hey There! I found your modded MonsterMoto Electric in a google search, and I am working on one now so I joined the forum. Thanks for posting your project so folks like me can learn!

I really like the AWD system! I bought a spare motor for mine, so I will have to play with that! Awesome!

I started off with a MM E1000 from Home Depot around Xmas last year for $199. I figured the dang frame was worth that, so I bought it. I could use a little bike to go to the mailbox or whatever.
I am sort of obsessed with running as much as possible from Ryobi tool batteries, so you can maybe see where this is headed..
Like you, I replaced the lead acid battery system, but with plug in tool batteries. My bike uses either 2 or 4 batteries, which are 2 x 18v Ryobi 4AH batteries. Each pair is wired in series, to double the voltage from 18v to 36v.
Then each pair in parallel to increase the amp hours and spread the load. Naturally, using 4 is better for the batteries and it will run about 5-6 miles over average terrain.
My question is: I am wondering about driving the motor with 3 batteries instead of two, or at 54/56V. Would the factory controller still work? If not, do you have a suggestion for an upgraded one? I'd like a higher top speed..
By OFFROADSCOOT
I found a good deal on a Coleman Ct100 gas minibike. Nice little bike that looks like the classic doodle bug I had when I was kid! The ICE motor is still good so I'll probably do a generator project with it using take-off DC motors from past projects.

I stripped it down to the frame and painted it a flat khaki with black wheels. I'm using a 1000w 36v motor overvolted to 48v Lipos. I cut a plastic ammo can to fit over the motor and to house the controller and batteries in one location, pretty clean look. I'll have to see how the motor does with heat. I might have to add a cooling fan or at the lease, vent the box. The rear sprocket was a huge piece of raw steel so I did a patina on it to darken it. I figured it would stay on better than painting it.

I'm waiting for the throttle and switches to come in to finish it. I'm also working on painting the fenders. I might strip it to metal and do a patina on them to match the sprocket.

Pics below!
Attachments
IMG_4330.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
IMG_4328.jpg
IMG_4328.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
IMG_4324.jpg
IMG_4324.jpg (60.53 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
IMG_4317.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
IMG_4312.jpg
IMG_4312.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
By OFFROADSCOOT
thanks, I changed the motor on the CT100 to a 1800w Brushless running with 60v Lipos. The Monster Moto feels like it has twice the torque and takes it off the line up to about 20mph but the CT100 has higher rpm and top speed so it eventually catches and passes if the straight is long enough. The CT100 is a smaller lighter frame and extending the seat position helped a lot. Most people (adults) that ride it like the ergos of the CT100 better since they don't bang their knees on the handlebars. When the CT100 had the 36v 1000w motor is was way slower.
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]