- Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:01 pm
My goal for the weekend was to get the scooter to the point where I could go for a test ride. I reached my goal today and was able to ride a dual motor scooter in 2015, I can die a happy man.
PROGRESS: I pulled my 12fet lyen from the shelf and decided to hook it up in place of the 2nd 9 fet just to be able to go for a test drive. The front wheel is still spinnging about 5-8 rpms slower than the rear wheel, not too bad, it could be worse I guess. I received a new throttle from electricscooterparts.com and wired it up (correctly this time) to both controllers. I have to say it's pretty cool seeing the front and rear wheel spinning at the same time!
TEST RIDE: I took it easy at first, mainly because I had no brakes, and also because there was no deck, and controller were sticking out of the battery box. At low speeds the motors are a bit noisier than I thought they would be, they quiet down once you get up to speed. I went around the block a few times just to cycle the battery a bit and get a feel for the performance of the scooter.
PERFORMANCE: I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the acceleration. It definitely pulls harder then the single rear hub I had previously. This thing feels like a rocket (more so because standing space was awkward and limited. The top speed according to a speedometer app on my phone is 23.6 mph. I was hoping to get at least 25mph out of both motors, but fell a bit short. I could always bump the voltage I guess. I unplugged the front wheel just to see what performance would be like and it was definitely not as torquey as my other hub motor (same controller and voltage were used), the top speed of just the rear motor was about 21 mph, so I'm getting much more torque, and another 2 mphs or so running the both motors. Like I said its a bit noisy at low speeds, but if you listen carefully you can hear them both winding up, and it sounds pretty cool. I hooked my watt meter up and went back out to see what the performance was like going up the hill in front of my house. Both motors together pulled 3,287 watts, and 75 amps.
ISSUES: I noticed the lipos were a bit warm when I got back from my test ride, they are 10c so I need to be nice to them and not get carried away with the current. If the ratings on the battery are true (I doubt they are) I'm not stressing it too bad (12ah X 10c =120 amps continuous) but warm lipos are not something you want. I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting the heardset to stay tight. The nut doesn't seem to be backing out, but the forks have play in them after pushing and pulling of the handlebars a few times, this is super annoying and needs to be addressed immediately. Battery box space is going to be super tight on this thing. I'm hoping I can make everything fit, switching power connectors may help with saving some space because the andersons are making it hard to route the power leads to the controllers, I can explain more later.
TO DO: There is still a lot to do to this thing, hopefully I can knock it all out quickly, spare time is hard to come by these days. Here's a short list of what needs to be done before I can start commuting with this thing again. Get headset to stop coming loose, cut motor wires shorter (they're about 2ft too long), get new watt meter, fit everything under the deck, cut out a hole for the db balance connector and andersons (charge plugs), notch holes in frame for motor wires (for better routing of the wires), get 2nd controller working,fab disc brake caliper mounts, make new deck (optional). These seem to be the obvious things that I need to fix, I'm sure there's a few things I'm missing.
Hopefully in a month this thing will be done. I feel like I reached a huge milestone today, its just the details that remain. I made a quick video (sorry for the quality I was holding the phone while riding).
image2 (22).JPG (123.58 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
image1 (27).JPG (121.65 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
Ride the Lightning.