Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By zen_racer
picked this up off CL the other night but been too busy to mess w it. posting a few pics for now but will update as this project develops...

here's the Serengeti Rhino scoot compared to the X-500 48v 500w:

what's interesting is the Rhino is spec'd as 36v 500w but the motor label reads 48v 1000w :)

closeup of the front/rear suspension, the main reason for me picking this up. after cruising around some fire trails on the X-500 i really felt a need for a suspended ride:

like the X-500, this scoot was barely used though it'll need a few parts replaced... another round of waiting for parts from china. nice thing is the gearing and chain are 8mm same as the X-500, so the 9t sprocket i'm waiting on might have a new home. if i can find time tonight i'll test the motor and electronics...

By shortcircuit911
That thing is a beast! How heavy is it? I've ridden a x600 which is similar to that and it was a pretty nice ride. Curious to see what you do to it.
By aidanworthington
I had the 36v 1000w version which I fitted with a kelly controller 1500w

Why would anyone put a a 48v motor in a 36v scooter reason being ul loose 1/4 of your rpm making the scooter slower than standard
By zen_racer
shortcircuit911 wrote:That thing is a beast! How heavy is it? I've ridden a x600 which is similar to that and it was a pretty nice ride. Curious to see what you do to it.
was bigger and heavier than expected, and that's with an empty batt tray. if i get a chance i'll put it on a scale later. all specs i'm finding online dont match to what i have...for example:

the tray is sized for 3 SLAs, but it has a standard issue 48v 30a controller
specs say 36v 500w motor, but it has the 48v 1000w
running 3.50 not 3.00 tires
44t 8mm rear sprocket not 55t 25#

the scoot looks very similar to the EVO and Hyper Racing versions, so might source parts from the latter if customer svc is responsive to calls or emails. really want to ride it as-is to see what i want to swap out.
aidanworthington wrote:I had the 36v 1000w version which I fitted with a kelly controller 1500w

Why would anyone put a a 48v motor in a 36v scooter reason being ul loose 1/4 of your rpm making the scooter slower than standard
hey aidan what were your thoughts running 36v 1000w on the kelly? i think EVO is based in the UK so you likely have seen plenty of these around.

the build looks straight from the factory but i cant make sense of the final config. running 3 x 12v on 48v controller and motor, wouldnt i hit lvc w/in minutes if not immediately?
By aidanworthington
Mine was an evo
The kelly controller was a nice upgrade

I wonder if someone tried to upgrade yours to 48v 1000w then realised the 48v battery won't fit
By zen_racer
caught that post awhile back, the Hill Killer is a sweet ride for sure! if that's 64t on the rear then i'm assuming thats a 3.00-4 tire, 10-inch diameter? also what were the motor temps for that commute.

after pulling everything out i did confirm that this scoot was someone else's project and not a factory build. one telltale sign was the tncscooter label on the controller lol. the plastic connectors to the motor were melted near one terminal and fused together, so i replaced them and successfully tested the controller. its a YK40-4 rated for 40a so i saved myself a few bucks there.

i'm guessing that the current gearing is 11/44 or 11/47. not what i want in an offroad scoot so going with 9/64. looking at this right now, just need to confirm those measurements:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Chain-Spro ... k4&vxp=mtr

also picked up the 36v 1000w MY1020, going to run with 12s lipo. at 9/64 i think it should be around 17-18mph? one thing lacking is a freewheel clutch on the rear. checked around briefly but didnt find any immediate alternatives. i'll deal with that later...
By zen_racer
got most of the parts in awhile go but been super busy w work and home projects to do anything on this. i had a little bit of time to sort out and crimp new connectors on the throttle assembly... yellow for the indicator and blue to the + side of the power lock:

tested ok so next step is soldering up the wire harness for the batt pack:

By zen_racer
a little progress was made as i finished up the wiring harness. the white connectors on most controllers, or rather the crimp terminals used in the connectors, dont crimp well on anything over 14AWG. i used 12AWG so i soldered all terminals instead of crimping, cut out extra sheathing and replaced with thinner heat shrink so the terminals can seat properly in the connectors:

for testing only i'm using the yiyun YK31C since its a smaller controller, easily tucks in up front:

been using the old 48v pack that came in the xtreme because i've been lazy but decided to put 4 fresh batts so i could get a better assessment of the stock motor and gearing (47t/11).

only 10Ah so no max power and limited runtime:

first run was problem-free, motor spun up fine. torque seemed ok but i'm only 160lbs so...

ample deck space for different foot placement but the handlebar height is maxed out. as is my arms are almost reaching down so not a comfortable position. i think this scoot is designed primarily for seated riding so i threw on the seat. kinda bouncy and felt like a retiree cruising around the block. took the seat off and rode in some dirt, made me want to switch out from the 48v 1000w to the 36v 1000w. i'll let the family take it for a couple of rides first.

before that i'm going to charge everything up and mount the GPS to get some numbers. i'll post more updates as this project develops...
By zen_racer
doggish? not sure what that means lol

yep this scoot is far from dialed in. i wanted to get a few runs under the belt so i'd get a better feel for where to take this. i topped off the batts yesterday, at 53V i managed 23MPH on the GPS for the first run. a few more laps around the block got me an avg 21MPH on WOT.

now that i have a baseline i can start planning some upgrades... crunching numbers in the speed calculator has me thinking of swapping out the rear 44t sprocket to 54t. that should get me some extra run time with top speed of 18mph which is fine for me.

besides that i have a 64t and 9/10/12t motor sprockets to play with:

also have some multistars on the way, three 4s 16000mAh packs which are the same Elvill is using in his E300 project:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

Constant Discharge: 10C 10 x 16a = 160a
Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C 20 x 16a = 320a

if the numbers above are right this project has room to grow with a better controller pushing more amps.

but i dont have complaints with the pickup now, probably can pull a wheelie if i tried, so it'll be interesting to see how it rides with the 54t. hopefully will have more updates soon...
By bassiclyLouDog
I can only hope that 100amp discharge is correct. 10c is low end lipo. Those of us with thirsty motors are looking lead based. Figures a 70 lb 100 160year old technology is still over $200
By zen_racer
i'd worry about amps if i was running a high current controller. not happening with this build.

connecting the YK43B doesnt make sense on this platform. the LB37 @ 50a puts me well below the 160a constant discharge rating, plenty of margin for error.

Elvill and shortcircuit are running these lipos in their builds w/o issue so i feel optimistic about running these at 40-50a tops...
By zen_racer
please define "ALL OUT".

remember this project is in its early stages. the goal with this project is building a dialed-in ride.

do you remember Aidan's Hill Killer scooter?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1704

Aidan's EVO scoot:
1000w unite with Kelly controller, 36v 12Ah pack, 64/11 gearing

after the next round of swap for this scoot:
1000w unite, LB37 controller, 44.4v 16Ah pack, 54/11 gearing

so please define going all out - what does that mean here, industrial motor + yk43b??
By zen_racer
had some free time so circled back to this project over the weekend and made the wiring harness:

four multistar packs i picked up during the last HK sale, connected in series/parallel for a total 44.4v 10400mAh:

put everything in the lipo bag, added anti-vibration foam to the bottom of the battery tray then threw the bag in...fits nicely w/ room to spare:

was able to get a few runs in without issue. slightly lower top speed than SLA but noticeably more responsive. having a voltmeter instead of a battery gauge really shows the voltage sag effect between battery chemistries.

easy and fast recharging with the paraboard...less than 2hrs charging at a modest 3a which is well below tolerances:

this pack isnt staying with this scoot, only using to compare peformance of 44.4v lipo vs 48v SLA. next step will be to swap the motor, controller, sprockets, and use the bigger 16Ah multistar pack...
By zen_racer
been gathering some more stuff for the next step in this build. i plan on swapping out the rear rim for a version that will allow me to mount a freewheel clutch, swapping out the motor, changing gearing etc.

but before that happens i though i'd try running this at 60v, just to get another reference point... picked up another multistar pack to get 16s (59.2v nominal) 16Ah. included 36v 8Ah SLAs for size comparison:

width is a perfect fit with plenty of room up front for a bigger controller. for that i'm going to try this 48-60v controller which looks like a smaller yk43b clone:

also picked up this circuit breaker but not sure yet if i'm going to use it here as it seems more suited for the yk43b:

150a at 48v, what would the amperage rating drop down to @ 60v?

have a 60v, 40a breaker on the way which i think will simplify the wiring ...meaning i can use it as on/off and also do without a fuse on the lipo pack.

too many projects going on right now but i'll try to fit this into the schedule lol
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]