Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By noahmercier
Im back! I have been working on the project all summer and have made decent progress. The reason I did not start this post long ago was to save all the boredom because in the beginning it always starts off slow. Also, I wanted to have enough money to fund it. I now have enough for the batteries and the other accessories. Instead of explaining all that I have done I will upload some photos showing my progress. The plan is to use (4) 12V 55ah batteries, a 24v 3600rpm leeson motor, and a yk43b. I decided that electric stuff just cost way to dam much when you want an extended runtime (2+hours), so I bought a goped trail ripper (38mph top speed with a range of 40 miles with the added gas bottle I carry) for long rides. This project will just be something for short trips and having fun.

By robnewyork
lookin really good man ! nice place for the motor location .. u will still have serious range with 55ah , id say 30 miles at cruising speed , i guess time will tell
By noahmercier
24v 3600rpm motor running at 48v for 7200rpm

12-70 gearing= 51MPH

With the weight of the batteries and wind resistance I would say a solid 40mph. Do have a 16t if I want to go 50-55mph (68mph on speed calculator)
By Quinc
noahmercier wrote:24v 3600rpm motor running at 48v for 7200rpm

12-70 gearing= 51MPH

With the weight of the batteries and wind resistance I would say a solid 40mph. Do have a 16t if I want to go 50-55mph (68mph on speed calculator)

Where did you get a 12T sprocket at? Or is it 3/4" shaft? I have to measure mine now I was getting ready to buy a 5/8th. :o
By noahmercier
Unfortunately, I ordered the four 55ah batteries off of a website called bigtimebattery.com, it was $307 total with a 10% off coupon. I wasn't getting a tracking number like they said I would so I called them and they said there was an $80 charge that should have been added to the shipping (only $20 when I paid). So they required me to pay the extra $80 before I could ship it. I do not have the extra money currently, so I got a refund. I am mentioning this because it will cause a few weeks delay in the continuation of the project.
By noahmercier
I already made the battery tray for the 55ah batteries and all the math I have done to place the batteries are for 55ah batteries. I am seeing if one of my friends can loan me $80.
By Quinc
Call around to local places and see if they will price match the batteries. Or see if walmart sells them and contact there online help to see if they will price match etc.
By noahmercier
Would it be ok to charge 55ah batteries with 13 amps? I found a 48v 13a golf cart charger that I am think about buying on ebay, but I wanted to make sure that charging it at 13 amps wont harm the batteries (charging too fast).
By noahmercier
I found a ty rod iv go kart on craigslist for a great deal and decided to work on that project instead. I will be able to finish the project much faster than the mini bike, less expensive, it will look factory, and I have 75% of the stuff I need already to finish it.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3266
By noahmercier
While waiting on the parts and battery $ for the go kart project I started brainstorming about this project. I have done a lot of research on the leaf battery modules and they seem to be the way to go. They are more expensive than lead acid but cheaper than all other lithium options. A 48v 55ah lead acid pack is around $425 and a 48v 60ah lithium pack is about $1500. The leaf module packs are about $650-700 with 66ah. The only twist is that they are used cells (taken from crashed cars) and you cant really use a bms without spending $1k for one. They come from cars with 10,000-50,000 miles on them. While it seems like a lot, but they should last to at least 125,000-150,000 miles on a car. With that said, I am posting to show that I am not giving up on this project and that I intend to use a motenergy me0909 or gm 3kw motor with the leaf cells and an alltrax-48300 or gm's controller sometime in the future. I have decided not to use an industrial motor because (1) I want to maximize my range and (2) I have found they tend to max out at 13k-14k watts.
By robnewyork
i think after you run the kart at 30kw, you will not want that power on a minibike lol .. 10,000 is more than enough ,.my mx was 7200watts and insane around town
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]

MX500 48v 2kW BLDC build

its this motor, 48v 2000w: https://www.aliexpress[…]