Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By noahmercier
The Plan...24v 2100rpm imperial motor running on 48v (55ah batts). It is a ty rod IV go kart. I forgot to take pictures before it was disassembled so if you want to see an assembled picture of it just look it up on google images. Many pics to come...

By noahmercier
I am going to weld a bracket on each side of the frame to house the 55ah batts and weld a bracket on to the other bracket. I drilled and fitted 3/4 inch tubing into the frame so I could run the wiring through the frame. Basically, once finished there will be to boxes on either side of the kart with the wiring running to the center of the frame where the yk43b will be housed along with 4 volt meters monitoring each battery. It will be best to keep uploading photos to show the progress rather than describing it
By robnewyork
it saves everyone the hassle of boggin down their laptops by goin to photobucket,.. anyway , im guessing the motor is the 3.6hp imperial?? if so,,once u get bored with the yk43b power u can upgrade to 400 amps or so no problem
By robnewyork
but werent the 55ah for the minibike specifically.. it just seems u were done with the bike except the batteries.. ??I like the kart idea.. dont get me wrong.. But also thought the minibike was better for long trips overtly around town
By noahmercier
I was having trouble making the mini bike look factory. I didn't want it to look like it came off an assembly line or anything, but the 55ah batteries would protrude so that it was very difficult to add side panels. Also, I always planned to do the go kart project after the mini bike and when I realized I would be quicker to build the go kart I went with it.
By noahmercier
Also, my parents, once again, started freaking out that I was going to drive a mini bike all over the place. I told them I would build the go kart first to give more time to come to an agreement on the mini bike. For example, I needed to get the whole mini bike frame powder coated and my parents would refuse to drive me knowing what my plan was with it. They realize with the go kart that I am not going to be making long trips on it so they prefer it over the mini bike.
By robnewyork
The metal fabrication looks great man.. I'm surprised you havent built anything before that really pissed them off ..How old are you?? How do they feel about you riding a mountain bike?? I use to hate that distinction when I was young, If it had a motor it was somehow different but i could peddle a bike to 25 mph no problem.If they're not complaining build the kart and ride that for a while.In the meantime , you can get your learner permit and get a 49cc scooter registered etc for shorter commutes. The issue i see with the minibike, is no one can see you coming.( so you would need to be a more experienced driver which takes years )
By noahmercier
I'm 16. My parents have no problem with me going 25 mph, but 25 is too slow, I want to go at least 35. Too many cars would pass me at that speed. I have tried explaining that the slower I go the faster the car could potentially hit me from behind.
By noahmercier
They took away my goped trail ripper. It goes 38mph. Its a 49cc 4hp engine. They said it goes took fast and "they are saving my life by taking it away".
By robnewyork
it seems like youre pretty eager to get killed without the goped lol.the kart looks good, i assume these outriggers will hold the batteries? 35 should be really easy with the right gears.. When will you have a driver license?? cars do over 100mph, hope they know that !
By noahmercier
I didn't really care when I got my license until they took the gaped away. I could go everywhere I wanted to and it was faster if there are traffic jams (ride in the bike lane). Now I guess I will start the drivers ed thing.
By noahmercier
There is a place near me that said they would do it for $90. Its totally worth it, 10x more durable than spray paint, plus the color I am getting it painted is called wrinkle black which will hide any imperfections.
By noahmercier
Dropped it off today. The guy said it was much bigger than he anticipated so its going to be $120. It will be worth it if it turns outs great.
By noahmercier
They said it would be finished Friday or early next week. In the meantime I am working on the control panel. It's going to have a volt meter for each battery and the charging port and disconnect switch.
By robnewyork
looks awesome ,you definately have a bright future in metal fab and design// when I was 16 I couldnt make anything except a bong
By noahmercier
Still have to run all the wires through. Should finish by tomorrow. One question, if the voltages of the 4 batteries vary slightly (2 of them are .6v more than the other two) will the 48v charger even them out?
By robnewyork
NO, you will need to do each one indivually with the 12 v trickle charge to level them off, and i recommend that every 2 weeks. THe kart looks friggen awesome man@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ way better than any razor kart.let us know top speed and handling and acceleration details
By noahmercier
I think top speed and acceleration will be awesome, a little worried how it will handle at top speed though. Could I just buy one tickle charger and top them off one at a time or do I need to buy four?
By zen_racer
lookin good so far, nice work... seeing the knobbies this going to be offroad use? thinking about clearance once its fully loaded.
By noahmercier
The tires are meant for on and off road use. More for on road and the knobbiness is to help against rocks/pebbles on the street. As for clearance, I think that is should be fine, worse case scenario I can buy a longer shock for the back to give it a few more inches.
By noahmercier
tried it out today and it worked great..at first. I would say it goes about 35mph. After 5 minutes of driving, the motor leads were a little warm, not hot, but when going up this really steep hill that goes up my street it stopped and smoke came out of the control box. I opened it up and turns out that I accidently crossed the motor wires (rookie mistake), but in my defense it was one of the wires connected to the wire so I didn't think anything off it. Thankfully, it burned through leaving some wire so I was able to fix it easily. Also, the leads going to the switch were starting to melt so I felt the 100a switch metal contact and it was REALLY hot. The conclusion I have come to is that I am pulling way more than 100amps and the switch is acting like a resistor, causing the wires to heat up.

I plan to buy this switch to replace it...(It is rated at 48v 300 amps continuous which will be more than enough)
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... &from=grid
By robnewyork
sounds good the wires cannot be anywhere near each other from the motor to the batteries to the controller. theyre carrrying 200amps// get a video if ya can . hows the acceleration , wheres the final pic
By robnewyork
martis was one of 2 people to ever gauge the yk43b an anmeter, he pulled 196amps with a lesser setup than urs
By noahmercier
I will upload a pic later. It is not 100% complete, I plan on making ABS boxes to cover the batts. As for a video, it is raining now and will be tomorrow, so it will have to wait until Wednesday.
By noahmercier
At what voltage for each battery is "empty"? After 10 minutes of riding I checked the voltage and they went from 13.2v to 12.4v.
By noahmercier
What motor would be capable of going 40 mph with the best acceleration? The 48v 4200rpm 4hp imperial motor running 20-50 gearing or the 48v 7200rpm 2hp leeson motor running 12-50 gearing?
By robnewyork
noahmercier wrote:At what voltage for each battery is "empty"? After 10 minutes of riding I checked the voltage and they went from 13.2v to 12.4v.
thats extremely ODD> when we rode buddys 35 ah yk43b for 20 mins, we could not read a difference on the batteries, literally no change from full charge..make sure all ur wires are perfectly connected and sealed from each other, and that nothing is grounding out on the chassis.. the batteries should run for 2 solid hrs before needing recharge, 11.5 is as low as u wanna go before recharge./ make sure u charge each battery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By robnewyork
please share the wheel diameter, the motor specs, teeeth on the rear axle , and ill reply the controller link u need to do 50 mph plus relaibly
By robnewyork
ok so 2100rpm 24v motor is 4200 rpm at 48v roughly.the torque gains are gonna be in amperage really. u can mess with the gearing all day long, the yk43 b just isnt powerful enough when geared above 25 mph IMO> hERES THE OPTIONS
1.. BUY A LOWER VOLTAGE MOTOR , RUN AT 48V , CHANGE THE GEARING ACCORDINGLY, GET SOME MILD ACCELERATION GAINS TO TOP SPEED'
2.. BUY A HIGH AMPERAGE CONTROLLER, LEAVE THE MOTOR AND GEARS ALONE, RUN 300 + AMPS HAVE BETTER ACCELERATION TO SAME TOP SPEED
3.. KEEP THE YK43B, BUY ANOTHER 12V 55AH BATTERY AND 60V CHARGER. LEAVE GEARING ALONE AND GAIN 25 PERCENT TOP SPEED ( 35X.125=44MPH ISH
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]

MX500 48v 2kW BLDC build

its this motor, 48v 2000w: https://www.aliexpress[…]

Welcome to the forum! Yes, about 6 months back W[…]