Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By noahmercier
I'm going to test it right now, but last night I relized that none of the people that have that insane torque have a Kelly controller. They have alltrax or some other company.
By robnewyork
the settings on those controllers are still essentially the same.. theres still a golf cart soft start 40% mode.. well i guess we will know soon
By noahmercier
tested it, and it was a tad better. No where near what others had. Either it is because of the motor or the batts. I noticed that all of the batteries sagged beneath 10v while riding. Here is another video and a picture of the voltage (after driving)...

-is there something wrong with one of the batteries^^^^^^^
By noahmercier
btw I am leaving for a thanksgiving vacation, so I will not be able to do any more work on it until next week.
By robnewyork
it looks like the batteries are bad.. new old stock that sat wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long.. even 30ah should be able to push that controller to the absolute max.. itss not the motor,
By robnewyork
i mean , the volt sag shouldnt even be severe, you gotta think golf carts run this amperage all day with similar size batteries and carrying 3 times the weight
By robnewyork
do an individual charge on all the batteries, but yes, the one battery is reading below the dead zone ( 10.5 ).. but the fact the kart is only barely faster than a yk43b kart is just a red flag.. maurtis measured the yk43b at 196amps peak years ago.. so if your controller will sustain 240 and peak 400 it should be a massive improvement.. im not saying replace all the batteries, but certainly do a balance charge and see where that goes. if the one battery drops off faster than others its certainly dead. but for now a balance charge is needed unless uve already done that
By noahmercier
this is the battery voltage after driving it, before the voltage sag evened out. After 10 minutes, the lowest battery goes up to 11.8v.
By robnewyork
ok good luck.. i just dont see why they would go that low at all being 55ah and not accelerating like a bat outa hell. Too bad this thing doesnt have licence plates, its gettin close to the price of a used car ( old used car
By noahmercier
I cant find a single video on youtube of someone who has a Kelly controller with insane torque, everybody has alltrax.
By Quinc
If the place you bought from will not warranty the battery try adding some water and seeing if you can bring her back to life.
By robnewyork
noahmercier wrote:I cant find a single video on youtube of someone who has a Kelly controller with insane torque, everybody has alltrax.
interesting , i know altrax are double the price.. lets see what happens with newer batteries.. if nothing else, in order to save some money maybe u coult trade in the 400 amp to kelly for the 550 and pay the difference ( 50 dollars))) i cannot understand how they would claim double the amperage the controller is actually putting out..
By noahmercier
If I buy a new motor should I go with this brushed one with alltrax controller for a total of $1100
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-pa ... hp-pk.html

Or this brushless motor with a sevcon gen4 controller for a total of $900...
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/moten ... hp-pk.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sevcon-Gen4 ... Sw8w1X5GTO

The brushed setup would give me much higher torque but probably not as good top speed where the brushless will give me better top speed but not as good torque. Should I spend more for torque or less for speed? Keep in mind I would return most of the Kelly stuff and sell both motors I have so I would have equivalent to $600 off.
By robnewyork
idk.. id get the batteries replaced first and see how that goes.. and no matter what , id go as high amperage as possible.for the 50 dollar difference, id really try the kelly 550 amp before jumping ship all together
By robnewyork
and i dont think anything is wrong with your imperial motor.. i think its either the controller is overrated, or the batteries are duds, and likely a combo of both.. so lets say the controller u have is really pushing 270 amps, the 550 would still push closer to 400
By noahmercier
I have read that other people say that Kelly controllers only output 60-80% of the amps that they say. So I will send it and get the bigger one and hope that works as good as I was hoping the current one would.
By robnewyork
great PLAN MAN.. the 550 amp should be what you expected from the 400./. and now i know why my 200 amp was slower than a yk , i thought it was just old.. so 50 bux there and some new batteries, or even the ones u have and ur not spending nearly what u proposed. if the 550 amp smokes the imperial , then get an etek on ebay for 350
By robnewyork
hell, i have a brand new 2.5 clarke , 36v with massive anderson 8 gauge leads in my closet.. been saving it for years but im saving up for a mill.. so maybe we could do that for cheap if you were interested, its also internally cooled
By robnewyork
but i think test 1 is tell kelly the controller works , its just not powerful and your anmeter only reads 250 amps peak.. (lol) then say you want to upgrade to the 550 , and use yours as store credit.. then get new batteries, even if its one at a time.. especially the one we know is bad.. \
By robnewyork
another factor when u get the new kelly, u will have it programmed and wired up fast since u know them pretty well now
By noahmercier
robnewyork wrote:hell, i have a brand new 2.5 clarke , 36v with massive anderson 8 gauge leads in my closet.. been saving it for years but im saving up for a mill.. so maybe we could do that for cheap if you were interested, its also internally cooled
Thanks for the offer but I think if I buy another motor it will be an ev designed, 48v rated motor. Also, the 550a controller has the exact same wiring so I just have to plug it in. Will the 400a contactor work? They don't even have a 550A one.
By robnewyork
i think everything u have is ready to go with the 550 , now we will see if kelly tries to fight u on taking the controller back
By noahmercier
I tempted to just return all the Kelly stuff and buy the alltrax spm-48300. All the videos of the insane torque use that exact controller so if it does work with it then it is definitely something wrong with the motor or batteries.
By robnewyork
my bet is its not the motor.. the motor usuallly gives massive tell tale signs, lile the stench of copper.. if you wanna try the alltrax, go for it.. 300 sounds low, but if the videos you see have fast karts i dont see why not
By noahmercier
I do smell something from the motor that is kind of strong. It could be copper, I have never smelled anything like it before so I don't know if it is.
By robnewyork
even if the motor had gone bad since running the kelly , It would have been extremely fast were the controller and batteries running 100 %.. to prove that theory, take a stock 250watt scooter, and wire up the yk43b, it will be the scariest ride ever, till the motor dies..
By robnewyork
in other words, i think you should replace one thing at a time to see what really brings out the beast.. and the 2 likely culprits right now are the batteries and controller.
By noahmercier
robnewyork wrote:heres some 400 amp kellys on youtube

They are using calb lithium cells and there karts are much lighter so the 650a (Kelly rated) might not be good enough
By robnewyork
they were running 400amp kellys , those karts were dogs, that was my point.. id go right to the 650 amp
By robnewyork
since the 650 runs nominal 260a , thats only 65amp per battery, your 55ahs should push that no issues ( were they new) but yes, for the 100 dollar upgrade just go 650.. even if they rated em 100% too high , thats legit 325amps !!!!!!!!!!
By noahmercier
I have decided that I will either go all out on this build and spend the money I normally would have spent on the mini bike project on this, or do minimal work and keep it for the most part how it is. If I was to go all out, I would buy the me1003 15hp cont. and 30hp peak with the 400a alltrax controller and add two batteries on the back for 72v. It would be A LOT more, but it would be A LOT better.

Total extra: $1500 minus selling the motors $250 would be $1250

*The only reason I even consider spending this much is because I know that I can resell all the motor stuff for at least $1000 even if I use it for a couple months.
By robnewyork
well just doin the kelly 650 would be 100 bux.. if it sucks , you can ebay it , the motors, and just run a yk43
By noahmercier
The 650 has the same continuous amperage as the 400a alltrax and that is if the Kelly's stats are 100% correct.
By robnewyork
yea, i was just looking at the cheapest route,.. maybe do the alltrax, sell the kelly on ebay for 150 ish
By Quinc
Sell me that 1hp leeson for 10% more then what you paid for it. :)

You have way too much money into this thing. At this point you could have bought an old dune buggy and made it EV and street legal.

By noahmercier
Quinc wrote:Sell me that 1hp leeson for 10% more then what you paid for it. :)

You have way too much money into this thing. At this point you could have bought an old dune buggy and made it EV and street legal.

The expensive part of this build is the batteries, motor, and controller. Do you actually want to buy it? The wires will need replacing and it would probably be smart to replace them with 8 gauge wire.
By robnewyork
i dont think he has that much into it.. batteries and controller 600 bux.. Not much you can build for 600, my dune buggy had 450-500 into it
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]