Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By zogthegreat
Hi everyone!

Zog's back! Sorry for the long absence, I've spent the last year adjusting to my new mobile life style. And the cost! The words "motorhome" and "inexpensive" should never be used in the same sentence!

I'm down in central Florida for the winter and came across this for $40.00:

It's almost bleeping brand new, (with dead batteries, of course). I have been promising my daughter to do a build for her once I found something decent and the maintenance guy at the RV park where I'm at for the winter said I can use his workshop, so let the modding begin!

I have a 500w 36v Unite that I've been saving since my last build, so I'm going to pop that in along with a disk brake set up for the rear end. I ordered a twist throttle and an ammeter and I'm looking for suggestions for a controller. I was thinking of using a YK43B, but I can't find any on eBay, although I did find a "CH43B" which looks similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-48V-24V-60V ... SwZAtXJAMG

However, if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.

Since my daughter will only be riding this when she comes down for Christmas and then when I'm back up north for the summer, I'm planning to just use some 12v 10ah batteries, although it looks like I could put in something larger.

After I do the basics, I might look at doing something with the front end, maybe a front fork suspension and a disc brake on the front wheel.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back modding and working on something other than my 36' motorhome!

By robnewyork
awesome , welcome back @!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that link is a yk43b , just different children assembled it ..
By zogthegreat
LOL, thanks rob. I guess I'll go with what I already spent money on! :lol:

I decided to go with this controller instead of the YK43B:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141842744491

I'm afraid of my daughter getting dumped on her butt, (or worse), with the YK.

However, I'm planning to try to find a MX for her later and encourage her to do some off roading on dirt trails, (I figure that her mother and I having been getting along to well, might as well stir the pot a little! :lol: ). I'll put a YK on that so that she has the juice to do some serious riding.
By zogthegreat
OK, I'm back to work on the pocket mod. Since I want to run it at 36v, I started with a battery box. I went over to the local hardware store and grabbed a small piece of sheet of steel. I marked my pattern with a Sharpie and cut out the box with a pair of snips:

I then bent and welded the box:

It didn't come out as nice as I wanted it to, but since it will be hidden, I'm just going to leave it as is. Then I welded the new box to the frame where it will be covered by the plastic:

I had to "soften up" the plastic with a heat gun for the corners, but otherwise it's fine.

Next I started on the motor. When I moved into my RV, I got rid of Limette II, the Razor E200 that I had done for my daughter. However, I did keep the 500w 36v motor from it. Unfortunately, the motor mount wouldn't fit for this frame, so I had to make a new one. I had some 1/4" steel plate in one of my boxes and I used that to fabricate the mount. Starting with the top part, I started by photocopying the base of the motor so that I could drill holes for cooling:

I then drilled out the holes:

Not perfect, but for a hand drill, not bad, (I really miss my drill press!)

Then I marked, drilled and cut the base with a hand drill and jigsaw:

Using a welding magnet to make sure it was square, I tack welded the top and base:

For some extra support, I put in some small triangles as braces:

OK, not the prettiest welds, but they are solid!

By zogthegreat
noahmercier wrote:Are there suppose to be pictures? I cant see any of them.
Hmm, I just tried the page on another computer and the pics are loading fine. Anyone else having a problem with them?

Or is this a PEBKC? ;)
By zogthegreat
OK, I had to take a step back and rework my motor mount so that I could include the chain tensioner. I welded a piece of metal to the side of the mount and welded the 2 brackets from the original tensioner on to it. Over all, I'm happy with what I ended up with:

I had some automotive undercoating spray in my box and I used that to paint it. It gave it a nice finish with a "rubberized" appearance:

I know that it will be hidden by all of the plastic, but I know it's there and that it looks good!

Here it is mounted on the frame:

I then installed the mount bolts from the bottom going up, lined everthing up, tighted everything and reinstalled the kickstand:

I had to grind about 3/4 of one of the bolt heads off , but I used grade 5 bolts so it should be OK.
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:sweet! HOWS It running
Hey robnewyork!

Sorry for the delay in responding, I got a new video card and I have been "busy"! :lol:

It runs great, but I have to move the controller. I had made a mount from sheet metal and placed it just above the tire:

You can't see it from the picture, but I only had about 0.5 cm of space between the sheet metal and the tire. I was thinking that it might be a problem and sure enough, a stick got sucked up on the tire and jammed up in between the tire and the mount. I'm going to move it this week and get it running again. Other than that, it runs well and the brakes are working great. The YK43B is giving me no troubles compared to the el cheapo Chinese POS that I was trying to use.
By zogthegreat
I was at the hardware store looking for some wiring lugs to hookup a marine battery switch for the power when I found this:

It was only rated for 15a, but it was also only $7.00, so I thought "What the heck" and grabbed it. I hooked it up and it seems to be working fine, (no smoke or flames yet! ;) ). It gives a cleaner finish and an added level of security.

I used the undercoating paint on the front and back inner plastic and installed an ammeter with a shunt on the front panel:

I didn't wire it yet, I'll be getting to it "soon". Here's the "finished" project:

Over all I'm happy with how it looks and rides. My daughter is coming down this month and I'll let her be the final judge!
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:looks awesome ..is it fast
LOL, not with me on it! But once my daughter gets down here, I check it with DigiHUD and see what is does. Right now I have it geared 11/80, but I have a 55 tooth rear sprocket in my bin that I can pop on if she wants to go faster. (I think I have a 9 tooth motor sprocket somewhere also).
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]