Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

Hi everyone!

Lol, I'm really not done with the "Little Red Pocket Mod" project and I'm already starting another build! I picked up a striped down Razor Quad for $40.00 the other day:

(Sorry about the Craigslist photo, I'll take some proper ones tomorrow).

My thoughts for this one is to make something for myself the I can ride around on in the RV parks that I have been staying at since I bought my motorhome. However, I will also want to do some "off roading" on it. I'm thinking of stretching the frame about 12" and doing a custom fiberglass shell for it to replace the original red one, (or maybe cutting the red one and adding fiberglass panels to stretch it to fit the frame mod).

I'm also trying to decided whether to go with a 36v 1000w Unite or a 48v 1000w. I'm leaning towards the 48v setup, because then I could use my existing 36v motor for another project that I'm going to do right after! (I pickup a Razor MX for $20.00 at the flea market today that I want to do for my daughter). Another thought was to cut the rear axel in two and run two separate motors. That would be a lot more work, but for off road it might be better, (LOL, or go with 4 hub motors!). Any thoughts on the motors would be appreciated.

For the controller, I will probably go with a YK43b, although I still have the Kelly controller that robnewyork hooked me up with for $15.00 last year that I haven't used yet. With this much frame space, I could fit it in easily.

BTW, a big thanks to robnewyork for helping me with some preliminary questions that I had.

Well, as I have said before, let the modding begin!
Last edited by zogthegreat on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By zogthegreat
OK, I just took a look at the quad and I can eliminate cutting the axle and running two motors, just to much work and trouble.

Although it would have looked totally awesome, especially with dual disk brakes!

Oh well...
By zogthegreat
LOL, pretty much the answer that I would expect from you rob! :lol:

Since I'm more interested in power than speed, I started looking for a Leeson, but I couldn't find anything in range of my budget. I did find these though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAMSEY-Bi-D ... FW&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VOLT-WARN-WI ... 2180629637

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-DC-350W-Bru ... fresh=true

It wouldn't be that hard to drill some hole in the back and add a 12v fan.

What do you think? If it's no good, then I will go with a 48v 1000w Unite.
By robnewyork
those motors suck! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let me do some looking.. I have a really nice internally cooled clarke 2.5 hp 36 v industrial , basically brand new .. I bought it for 170 , no idea how id ship to u..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:GOT IT , you better be prepared to weld up some brackets, the motor is 50 LBS but i used to have 1 , its a friggen beast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-36-vol ... SwDuJW1yet
Oooo! Shiny! How large is this compared to a Unite 1000w?

The 50lbs, could be a problem for me, I need to transport it back up north in the springtime, (I'm in Florida for the winter right now). I've been thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessori ... 70070.html

and building a custom rack so that the quad will be against the back wall of my rig. (I would have to put some kind of tie down mount to hold the top to make sure that it doesn't fall on my car! :o ). I'll make up a pic to show you what I'm talking about. I'm towing a Ford Taurus behind my rig and I will be concerned about any extra weight. I had an accident coming down to Florida in November where the neck of my tow dolly separated from the dolly:

Fortunately, I had just gotten of the I4 to get gas and I was only doing about 20mph and no one was injured. However, I really do not want to have another talk with my insurance company!

My other option would be to put it on the roof of my coach, once again, any extra weight is a problem.
Last edited by zogthegreat on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By robnewyork
regarding the accident , WOW>> thank god everyone was okay.. As far as the motor, thats basically a stock motor.. Im not sure how you want this to perform , I do get the hesitation with the 50 lb motor.. Would be fun ahving that much power on the quad.. ID go for the 800watt 36 v on ebay for 70 shipped if you want a happy medium balance with a bit of power
By robnewyork
also , that motor already has the right sprocket for the dirt quad, SO bolt it up chain it up and its ready to roll after pulling a few links out .>MAkes life pretty easy
By robnewyork
the 800 watt is cheaper and does the same exact thing.. YES i do recommend running it at 48v , but not sure u wanted to cram 4 batteries on there. Thats up to you.. I think the YK43b would be too much power on this thing for a kid to ride, so id suggest something milder.
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:the 800 watt is cheaper and does the same exact thing.. YES i do recommend running it at 48v , but not sure u wanted to cram 4 batteries on there. Thats up to you
I was already planning to stretch the frame, so I can easily fit 4 18ah batteries in there.
robnewyork wrote:I think the YK43b would be too much power on this thing for a kid to ride, so id suggest something milder.
Err, yeah, about that :roll:. Since last night, I've decided that this is going to be MY toy! I already did the Lil Red for my daughter and I'm doing the MX for her also, so....
Last edited by zogthegreat on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:im not sure which kelly u have , but sure that would work
I have the Kelly KDZ48200 that you pointed me to about 2 years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2472

http://kellycontroller.com/kdz4820024v- ... p-951.html

Like I said, it's been sitting in a box for the last 2 years or so and I would really like to put it to use. I have enough space on the frame that fitting it won't be a problem.
By robnewyork
USE IT,. max all the settings.. You will need the USB to rs232 cable to prgram it ,and without programming theyre a paper weight.. Best buy will have the cable so u dont need to order from kelly.. The hardest part is wiring thre hall throttle , but all 3 wires go to J2 cable , so its not that hard.
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:USE IT,. max all the settings.. You will need the USB to rs232 cable to prgram it ,and without programming theyre a paper weight.. Best buy will have the cable so u dont need to order from kelly.. The hardest part is wiring thre hall throttle , but all 3 wires go to J2 cable , so its not that hard.
Thanks! (And thanks again for pointing me to it! :D ).

BTW, what do you recommend for gearing? I'm more interested in torque than speed on this on, I'm really planning to to so light off roading with it.

And occasionally tow a neighbors golf cart when their batteries go dead!
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:I think the YK43b would be too much power on this thing for a kid to ride, so id suggest something milder.
BTW, my 11 year old daughter could handle my E300 with a YK43B and a 36v 1000w Unite with no problem. My 27 year old son, who has a motorcycle license ended up on his butt twice trying to ride it and was afraid to try again!

My daughter would ride around him in circles, laughing at him about how he was a baby how couldn't ride a scooter! :lol: :lol: :lol:
By zogthegreat
zogthegreat wrote:
robnewyork wrote:USE IT,. max all the settings.. You will need the USB to rs232 cable to prgram it ,and without programming theyre a paper weight.. Best buy will have the cable so u dont need to order from kelly.. The hardest part is wiring thre hall throttle , but all 3 wires go to J2 cable , so its not that hard.
Thanks! (And thanks again for pointing me to it! :D ).

BTW, what do you recommend for gearing? I'm more interested in torque than speed on this on, I'm really planning to to some light off roading with it.

And occasionally tow a neighbors golf cart when their batteries go dead!
By robnewyork
lol.. keep the gear on the factory 800 watt.. use the rear 47tooth that comes factory with the buggy.. but in the meanwhile, get an 80tooth tf8 sprocket in case you need it
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:that with 3 18ah batteries which fit nocely in the tray, along with a 50 plus amp controller ur all set
I can get 18ah for $30.00 ea or 20ah for $35. do you think the extra 2ah is worth the extra $5.00?
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:okay , 74 tooth is the biggest im finding

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-64-74-Tooth- ... Ww&vxp=mtr
I like the sprocket, but my mount is for a 4 hole:

TNC has one for $20.00, but they want $13.55 for shipping! I looked on eBay, but I can't find a 4 hole there. Do you know where I can get a 3 hole axle mount that will fit on my rear axle? (Or a 4 hole sprocket?).

Thanks
By zogthegreat
OK, after carefully considering all of my options, (i.e. I looked at my bank account to see what I could afford! :lol: ), I decided to go with this setup:

48v 1000w Unite motor
4 x's 12v 18ah batteries
Kelly KDZ48200 controller

I'm planning to design it so that later when weight, (and money ;) ), is less of a consideration, I can upgrade to an industrial motor.
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:ok , i guess my only question is, why not the 36v 1000 wattt
LOL, did I mention that I found a MX350 for $20.00? So I am working on that while I'm waiting for the parts to trickle in for the quad. I'm going to drop the 36v 1000w into the MX. I want to encourage my daughter to do some off road riding.

Plus, it's my understanding that a 48v system will be more power efficient:

(http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html)

I used generic settings here, they really didn't have anything close to what I was doing. Also, I'm planning to get a good industrial when I finally settle down and I'm not concerned about weight, (my motor coach is rated for 22,000 lbs and when I checked it on the scales before driving down last autumn, I was at 21,295! :o ).
By robnewyork
well yes, but with any speed gain comes loss in efficeincy.. Going for most efficient would mean a 100 watt motor and a 10 amp controller geared for 3 mph (-;
congrats on the 350, that will be a beast
By robnewyork
for a toy with 18 ah batteries,. not being designated as a commuter vehicle, FUN should always be number 1 priority, effeciency maybe 18th priority ..Plus with the programmable controller, you can dial in the power / efficiency with 2 minutes on the laptop
By robnewyork
havent you noticed every single build thread on here involves overvolting( 36volt mods to razor scooters etc)
at 48v the 48v motor will spin 3000rpm
at 48v the 36v motor will spin 4000 rpm.. thats a massive gain in top speed, or towing or both depending how you gear it..
By Bossnoge
If unable to cancel, dont worry. I use that same unite 48v 1000w (3000 rpm) motor at 60v (3750 rpm) without any issues. The kelly you listed has 60v in the specs. Of course if possible get the 36v motor. And run 48v.
By zogthegreat
Bossnoge wrote:If unable to cancel, dont worry. I use that same unite 48v 1000w (3000 rpm) motor at 60v (3750 rpm) without any issues. The kelly you listed has 60v in the specs. Of course if possible get the 36v motor. And run 48v.
OK, thanks Bossnoge. If the seller won't cancel, I'll put in two more 12v 18ah. I might have to stretch the frame a little more that what I was planning, but 3" more shouldn't matter.
By zogthegreat
OK, the seller just canceled the order for me! :D :D :D

I ordered the 36v 800w as robnewyork suggested. The motor is coming from Miami, so I should have it by Friday.
By robnewyork
zogthegreat wrote:
Bossnoge wrote:If unable to cancel, dont worry. I use that same unite 48v 1000w (3000 rpm) motor at 60v (3750 rpm) without any issues. The kelly you listed has 60v in the specs. Of course if possible get the 36v motor. And run 48v.
OK, thanks Bossnoge. If the seller won't cancel, I'll put in two more 12v 18ah. I might have to stretch the frame a little more that what I was planning, but 3" more shouldn't matter.

NO , your still running 48v battery pack , NOT 36 or you will be giving up the advantages you just gained lmao
By robnewyork
and dont forget u need the j2 and the usb to rs232 to run the kelly.. the dashboard on the computer for the kelly is in chinglish , so u may need some help there. Basically just set everything to MAX except the under volt protection setting.. that would be set to 42 v
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:ok ,to be clear, 48v battery pack ,36v motor, kelly controller, and you never said what ur doing with the gearing ?
LOL, yeah, I finally got it. What I said earlier was it would be fun to run the 48v @ 60v. For the gearing I'm planning to go 11/74.
robnewyork wrote:and dont forget u need the j2 and the usb to rs232 to run the kelly
Yeah, I have one already.
robnewyork wrote:the dashboard on the computer for the kelly is in chinglish , so u may need some help there. Basically just set everything to MAX except the under volt protection setting.. that would be set to 42 v
I will definitely reach out to you on that, I really don't want to fry the Kelly!
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]

MX500 48v 2kW BLDC build

its this motor, 48v 2000w: https://www.aliexpress[…]

Welcome to the forum! Yes, about 6 months back W[…]