Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By rsgod4005
So on an impulse I picked up a brand new MX350 (including the 2 year warranty) :0 But after I got home and saw what you can do with them I found a used one for $30 that the guy said had bad batteries and electronics. Turns out that it was just wired wrong and runs fine! I painted it and have used it to run my youngest son around with me chasing his big brother. I just ordered a 36v 800w motor and upgraded controler/throttle and 3 new batteries. I think I might run into trouble with the motor mount. I just hope it has a little more get up and go (with 200 plus lbs) I might not be beyond swapping out the sprocket if it would help. I'll update once the parts arrive next week.

By robnewyork
sounds good man, the 800 watt should really help , and u can always later upgrade again and run the 800 watt at 48 volts ( need a place to fit all the batteries).. keep in mind , u may need the old sprocket off the smaller motor for the 800, as they often come with tf8 sprockets ( wrong size
By rsgod4005
I think it said that it had a 11t on it's spec sheet. It arrived today but I didn't look at that before I left- WOW it's a lot bigger than the 350w one- my batteries haven't arrived yet so I can't dig in yet. I'm interested to see if I have to modify the mount. Image
By robnewyork
its 11tooth, but thats not the pitch.. see if the 25 roller chain from a scooter fits the sprocket.
By rsgod4005
Well the sprocket is correct so that's good, but this thing is massive. A couple bolts on the back are hitting the frame so it won't fit. I think I'll have to either cut part of the frame out or use something like spacers to raise it up. I did get the 3rd battery in and it does have some more zip for sure. I can't wait to see what it's like when it's done.
By robnewyork
sounds good ! if i can figure this out , you can mount an 800 watt to a mx350 lol

By rsgod4005
Wow looks like some suspension in the back, front and rear disk breaks and what kind of motor is that?
By robnewyork
thats a leeson 3/4 hp industrial , painted black.. yes the mx500 has a lot more options than the 400 and 350
By rsgod4005
That's awesome- I'd like to get my hands on a MX500- I keep watching for them.

I'll be trying to mount this thing on Sunday.
Wish me luck
By rsgod4005
So big day today. Started out adding the upgraded throttle/controler kit. The hall effect and higher amps (I think) really added some kick with the extra 36v. The boys and I ran the batteries down to practically nothing. Man that 24v 350w motor scoots but it did get super hot. I started with the 800w motor install and only ran into a couple snags. I'll post pics soon. I used nuts that were just a bit bigger diameter than my bolts to give me height. I took it for a test run and felt like it was a bit slower than the over volted 24v 350w. It may be because the batteries were needing to be charged. I'll try again in the morning and check it out. It does "burn out" now (with no rider) so that's cool.
By Laundrydude
The 36v 800w motor will spin slower at 36v than the 24v 350w motor, but the power difference should be significant. Are you going to go to 48v?
By rsgod4005
I can. I'll give it some time in this configuration and I'm sure that I'll get the itch soon.
I do have an extra battery but I don't have a 48v charger, so what I'd do is buy 1 more new battery and a 48v charger then put the extra battery that I have in my black bike and use the 36v charger for it and make my orange bike 48v.

Pics as promised:
By rsgod4005
So after letting it fully charge, I can say that it definitely has some better power. It handles starts and stops a lot better and hills too.
By robnewyork
sounds good , should be a pure beast on 48.. you can always use an older 24v charger, and wire the 48 pack to charge as 2 seperate battery packs
By Laundrydude
So 4 batteries in series is 48v or 2 sets of 24v each. You can connect a 24v charger to two of the batteries in series twice. Think of it as 2 24v batteries instead of 4 12v batteries and you can charge each 24v pack. Does this make sense?
By rsgod4005
Sure 2 sets of 24v wired in parallel. I guess it would work to charge but it seems like a pain to remove them, rewire, charge, switch battery packs, charge, rewire in series then replace batteries in the bike. Or even wire both 24v packs in parallel to each other and charge, then rewire to series. I think I'll just get a 48v charger. :)
By Laundrydude
You don't have to rewire, but you can only charge two batteries at a time with one charger, or you would need two 24 V chargers to charge all four at the same time. You can connect a charger anywhere in the series of batteries as long as it's the right voltage for the amount of batteries you are charging. No need to disconnect for rewire at anytime. But yes I think it's easier to just get a 48 V charger.
By robnewyork
yes, like laundry said, the charging port is not a complete circuit till its plugged to the charger, so u can set it up permanentl;y no issues!
By rsgod4005
I'll probably wait a bit to push it to 48v.
Yesterday I got bored and decided to put another battery in my 3rd bike (black one.)
When I did the orange one I put the 3 batteries in first and it ran fine on the stock motor and controller- but when I put the 3rd battery in the black bike all it would do is click. I guess that controller couldn't handle the 36v. I still had the stock controller from the orange one and I was able to hook it up on the black one pretty easy- BUT the power switches and hookups are different between the different bikes/controllers** so the black bike is basically always on and the controller gets hot even when not running. So I left the battery quick connect accessible and just unhook it for now, but it seems to charge and run fine. I'll probably have to upgrade the controller/throttle (mostly because I like the hall effect so much) to get it to work right.

** The controller from the black bike (newer) had 2 spade connectors that went to the switch. The controller from the orange one (older) didn't have a connection on the controller for a switch at all, but it has an extra red wire that comes from the battery quick connect (where the one from the black bike only had 2 wires.) I could cut it and see what it does. My guess is that's what's feeding power/heat back into the controller.
By robnewyork
the way these are wired is based on the 2 pole switch.. one side completes a charge circuit, the other completes a run circuit.. there are easy ways to bypass with aftermarket controllers, or even just aftermarket switches.
By rsgod4005
I'd need to replace the controler in order to get around it. There isn't anyplace to connect a switch on the controler. I could wire the switch to break the connection to the battery but that's about it. It wouldn't let it charge unless it was on either. So it's a $50 fix that I'll likely do when I get another battery and 48v charger for the orange bike.
By robnewyork
yep, replacing the battery and adding the extra battery might be the solution , ebay sucks for 48v brushed controllers, although its great for 24 and 36v ( 15 bux )
By Laundrydude
I have a 48v brushed controller I got from ebay that a may not use since I went to a brushless unit. It came from china. So if it doesn't work let me know. Modifying these things is addicting.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]