Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By Quinc
Been tinkering with mini motos, mini bikes and razor dune buggies for the last couple years and wanted to get something a little more comfortable. I bought a Leeson motor off ebay for a great deal and after a year of searching I finally picked up a kart racing chassis for a decent price.

Plan:
48 volts
7200 rpms
10T drive sprocket
67T axle sprocket
#35 chain
11.5" tires

Goal:
Have fun and ride around neighborhood with kiddos

Motor:
Leeson
1HP
24vdc
3600 RPM
TEFC

Controller:
Kelly KDZ48400 24v-48v 400a controller

Batteries:
48v
Starting with SLA 12v 18AH. (I have a bunch of them from other projects, but might move on to lipo, leaf, or just larger sla's)

Kart:
Haase stage 2 (First time with a real gokart and learning as I go)
By zogthegreat
Pfff! That's go kart is nothing compared to the one someone just gave me!

That Leeson looks good! Do you have more pics of the kart? What type of brakes is that?
By Quinc
Great idea! Thank you for the video!

Edit: It is a disk brake.

Ordered new rear axle bearings for her today and just got the cheapo 3pin Chinese foot throttle for it in the mail.

Next I need to figure out how to wire up the Kelly. First time using a contacter as well.

Looks similar to this all dolled up. Weighs next to nothing and best of all I fit in it comfortably! However, she has been ridden hard and left outside in the rain. So lots of polishing, and once I get her the way I like it I will take it back apart and paint. Thinking black, with all of the alum polished.
By zogthegreat
:lol:, so I guess that there is hope for my frame!

Quinc wrote:Edit: It is a disk brake.

(chuckle), Yeah, I know, (thanks for calling me an idiot! ;) ), what brand and do you have better pics of it? I like the look, (from what I can see), and would like something like that when I build my cart.

Quinc wrote:Next I need to figure out how to wire up the Kelly. First time using a contacter as well.

Here's how I wired my Kelly:

BTW, how are your rims? I just got 10 of these on offerup.com for $40.00:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... EMQAvD_BwE

Apparently the guys company used them for a promo and gave them to him. I only need 4, so if you pay for the shipping, you can have the rest if you want.
By Quinc
zogthegreat wrote::lol:, so I guess that there is hope for my frame!

Quinc wrote:Edit: It is a disk brake.

(chuckle), Yeah, I know, (thanks for calling me an idiot! ;) ), what brand and do you have better pics of it? I like the look, (from what I can see), and would like something like that when I build my cart.

lol good point sorry!

it is hydraulic brake system like this:
http://www.bmikarts.com/1-or-1-14-Cast- ... p_583.html
By Quinc
Thank you for the offer on the rims and the pic of the kelly! Also any tips on configuring the kelly? I have the cable but haven't messed with it.

Rims on this kart are pretty rough and look to have been curbed multiple times.. But the tires hold air so going to keep them for now. Rear tires are 11.5x7.1x6.
By Quinc
Pulled the Kelly out of the box from when I bought it off ebay a few months back. Looks like it is mostly wired up! However, hoping you can help me in identifying a few things like do I need this DC shunt and where do I wire in the the pos to the motor?

Visual diagram of how I think it goes.
kelly.png

Everything I have:
IMG_20171128_125521248_HDR.jpg

Contactor, not sure what the green diode looking part is that is also wired on?
IMG_20171128_125604745_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171128_125553217.jpg

These go to the J1 cable on/off key, again not sure what the diode thing is for or if it is needed?
IMG_20171128_125547656_HDR.jpg

Shunt? Not sure if needed?
IMG_20171128_125535413_HDR.jpg

Foot pedal
IMG_20171127_194946789.jpg

IMG_20171127_194722836.jpg

Going to save the foot pedal for the next project and go with this pull throttle instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hall-Effect-Pu ... SwLN5Wit3t
Last edited by Quinc on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zogthegreat
Quinc wrote:Pulled the Kelly out of the box from when I bought it off ebay a few months back. Looks like it is mostly wired up! However, hoping you can help me in identifying a few things like do I need this DC shunt and where do I wire in the the pos to the motor?

The way I set up my shunt was to put it between the battery neg and the controller.

The motor is wired to the "B+" post that the battery positive goes to. (check my picture, I know it looks confusing at first, it befuddled me also). Then hook your motor neg to the "M" post and the battery neg to the "B-" post.
By zogthegreat
Quinc wrote:Contactor, not sure what the green diode looking part is that is also wired on?

These go to the J1 cable on/off key, again not sure what the diode thing is for or if it is needed?

I'm not sure about the contactor, best to email Fany. (Although I'll do some research on it)

Quinc wrote:
Foot pedal

OK, this is based off of my experiences, your mileage may vary :). You will connect your foot pedal to the J2 cable in the following manner:

J2 - Foot pedal
RTN/Black - Blue
5v/Red - Red
Throttle/Green - Green

(sorry about the colors, bleeping thing wouldn't format the way I wanted it to!)

Another thing is that the manual say's that you need a separate 12v power supply. I was going to use a DC to DC buck converter, but I found out that my Kelly could take the power from my 48v battery setup. Once again, your mileage may vary, so if in doubt, use the converter! :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Quinc
Following the Kelly diagram close as I can, and it is giving me an LED error of low voltage. But measuring at the kelly B+ and B- it is getting 27v.. Is the voltage required something that is configured? For instance if the previous owner configured it for 48v and I only have 27v it wont work?

Going to bypass all the crap that came with it and give that a shot.
By zogthegreat
I had the same problem. It turns out that the lowest voltage for the Kelly is 48v. See if you can find two more batteries for bench testing.

(EDIT) BTW, did you check to see if the batteries that your using are fully charged? I had the low voltage problem and it turn out that my batteries were flat.
By Quinc
Made some progress on the kart! New sprocket, new axle bearings, my dad came over and welded me up some seat mounts and a battery tray while I was getting my 4 year olds bday party together. I will get some pics up tomorrow. :)

I floated charged the batteries at 1amp until they where both over 13v and still no luck so I sent an email to kelly. Hoping to get off work early tomorrow and try it with48v.
By Quinc
Found this video where the brake switch was causing the low voltage error. Not sure if that is my problem so putting it here so i can find it again.

and a video on wiring:
By Quinc
Motor mount is complete! Has the ability to go side to side and back-forth fairly easy. Used a 3/8" plate of aluminum.

And started on the battery tray:

Motor mount is complete! Has the ability to go sid[…]