Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By Headway Headquarters
Well, not sure how long this will take, or even sure if this should be posted here, but it is a scooter, abig one, but still considered a scooter...soooo here it is! A few weeks ago bought a '85 Vespa that had a bum 2 stroke motor off of Craigs List and decided to tear it apart and see what I can do with it!

Now just time for some grinding, a little body work while waiting for the swing/torque arm to be fab'ed before doing a test fit and start with the wiring. Wish I had the tools and knowledge to do some fabricating, gotta step back and give you guys that can do that stuff a hand! ;)
Attachments
001 And so it starts.jpg
001 And so it starts.jpg (44.46 KiB) Viewed 10100 times
016 ICE Removed.jpg
016 ICE Removed.jpg (301.31 KiB) Viewed 10100 times
023 Almost Completely Stripped.jpg
023 Almost Completely Stripped.jpg (279.02 KiB) Viewed 10100 times

By friedwires
AWESOME! you need to keep us posted on this one. does the vespa have a cvt transmission? i've seen scooters converted to electric by removing the top end and hooking the new motor to the old motors crank with a chain.it works great with a cvt,or a standard tranny with a clutch. that thing almost looks too nice to take apart!
By Headway Headquarters
Thanks, I will keep this thread updated for sure! :D

It did not have a CVT transmission, and I've seen scooters with the mod/conversion like that, but wanted to go a different route with this one to try and get as many cells in the thing that I can.

Going with a BLDC hub motor, to make more room for batteries under the side cowls (and for easy access if I need to change out a cell or something), and putting the DCDC converter, controller, contactor, fuses and other stuff in under the seat where the fuel and oil reservoirs used to be along with the other goodies I am planning on doing for this thing.

Yeah it was pretty tempting to just work on the two stroke, and I was pretty surprised myself at the shape it was in, but needed a project for a conversion and went for it. :lol:
By Headway Headquarters
Hey T2T! It's a 6kW motor

Here are the specs and some graphs...if you are interested :D
Attachments
Motor Specs.jpg
Motor Specs.jpg (489.86 KiB) Viewed 10068 times
By timmy2time
That thing is going to be sweet @ 6Kw. Especially with them killer light weight packs you make. You are one of the very few on here that will have a street legal modified electric scooter. Actually I think there was only one other member that came in with just some battery questions who had a street scooter.
By Headway Headquarters
Thanks, I was first going to have a 24Ah battery pack but think I can fit a 32Ah battery pack so with an estimated 21.5kW of power available just the controller, the motor and my age (I know what it is like to break myself with the dumb, buuuuut fun, things I do!) will keep the battery pack in check :lol:

Just got it all stripped, and grinding down/out and repairing the rust areas. No more foot brake, will replace the clutch lever with the rear disc brake lever, and no more choke, filter or fuel switch, so all those holes are being patched right now going back to my surfing roots and patching with fiberglass and resin. Going to put the emergency shut-off for emergency personnel where the fuel switch used to be so it will be the only thing that will look kinda out of place on the finished product....hopefully the only thing! 8-)
Attachments
026 Stripped Now a Little Body Work.jpg
026 Stripped Now a Little Body Work.jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 10041 times
By rybitski
Loving the progress please keep us updated with lots of pictures! I like your ideas to keep it looking stock as well. Very interested to see what the finished product will look like.
By Headway Headquarters
rybitski wrote:Loving the progress please keep us updated with lots of pictures! I like your ideas to keep it looking stock as well. Very interested to see what the finished product will look like.
Thanks rybit, I will do my best to keep up with posting and pictures and if there are any questions or if I miss something lemme know! ;)
timmy2time wrote:Wow. All the paint is gone. Total restoration. Not just conversion.
Yeah, pretty much just keeping the body style and the original leather seat since that is still in good shape.
friedwires wrote:i kinda liked the patina of the original paint ;) but new is nice!
I did like the paint, but there was just too many nicks and dents that were not taken care of and once removed, a lot of rust underneath on the foot boards, so am going to go with black for the final paint color since I had to strip a lot of the paint away.
shortcircuit911 wrote:Sweet project. I dig your cells. Maybe we can work together in the future. :twisted:

Thanks, and sure thing, just give me a shout!

Well, got tied up building battery packs, and still have 2 pretty cool ones left to build that I'll post some pics up my lonely battery pack build thread! :lol:

Since the last post, I got all the rust off (I hope) of all the parts, body/frame, rear cowls, steering, front fender, glove box, etc. and finally have it primed and ready for paint. The patch work on the choke, fuel cut-off and foot brake came out better than I thought it would since this was the first time that I had tried to use resin and fiberglass on anything besides a surfboard!

May have hit a slight snafu with the swing arm because of the width of the hub motor, there may be problems with the placement of the rear shock, but hopefully it will work out! :shock: Going to be using a more modern style of speedo and going to work on converting the tachometer to be a 'tachammeter' so I can see how many amperes I am drawing while driving since I really don't have any real need for reading RPM's.

Going to be working this week on fitting the front hub with a new disc brake system and get rid of the drum brakes, so hopefully will have that completed this week. I also plan on playing with some LED's to change out as many lights as I can and seeing if I can build a turn signal relay with some spare parts that I have without having it heat up too much or have to put a big heat sink on it.

Anyways, that's about it for now! 8-)
Attachments
027 Primed and Ready for Paint.jpg
Parts primed and ready for paint.....and maybe a once over with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper
027 Primed and Ready for Paint.jpg (260.62 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
028 No More Fuel Shut off, Choke or Foot Brake.jpg
Patch job of Fuel Shut-off and Choke
028 No More Fuel Shut off, Choke or Foot Brake.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
029 Changing out Drum to Disc Brake.jpg
Changing out Drum to Disc brake and a little Re-Finishing
029 Changing out Drum to Disc Brake.jpg (344 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
a New Tach and Speedo.jpg
New Digital Speedo and Tach (Hopefully able to change it to an Ammeter)
a New Tach and Speedo.jpg (270.66 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
By Headway Headquarters
Swing arm was delivered toady for a test fit, all fits great including the shock and how that fits, so no problems! Am glad I have it here so now all parts can be painted at the same time 8-)

Got a little excited and stopped building a battery pack to test fit the rear brakes, and so far, all is good!
Attachments
031 - Swing arm test fit.jpg
Swing arm test fit
031 - Swing arm test fit.jpg (241.01 KiB) Viewed 9933 times
032 - Shock location is perfect.jpg
Shock fits perfectly and lines up with existing mounting hole
032 - Shock location is perfect.jpg (255.02 KiB) Viewed 9933 times
033 Wheel Mounted with Disc Brake.jpg
Classic White Walls with Disc Brakes
033 Wheel Mounted with Disc Brake.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 9933 times
By Headway Headquarters
rybitski wrote:Excellent work on that swing arm, those are some beautifil welds.
Yeah, I agree, it is a thing of beauty that's for sure! I was surprised when he dropped it off. I'll be sure to pass on your compliment!
timmy2time wrote:Looking good so far. I like that speedo!
Thanks T2T, and I think the speedo is really cool, can't wait to start with the assembly of the whole thing.
By timmy2time
Yea, they did a nice job on the swing arm. They cleaned up the welds when they were done. You are going to have to paint that too. I'm sure you know that...gonna be sweet when it all comes together.
By scootthis
All I know is I coodn't weld like that if there was a howitzer pointed at my nutz and I had 240 years to do it.

scoots
By timmy2time
lol scoothis. I don't know man... there is no telling what you can do with that pointed at your nutz.

I don't see any sanding marks so I guess there was no clean up. Had to have been done with a machine. Laser welder maybe?
By rybitski
timmy2time wrote:lol scoothis. I don't know man... there is no telling what you can do with that pointed at your nutz.

I don't see any sanding marks so I guess there was no clean up. Had to have been done with a machine. Laser welder maybe?
Not necessarily. Experienced welders can tig better than most machine welds I have seen.
By Headway Headquarters
rybitski wrote: Not necessarily. Experienced welders can tig better than most machine welds I have seen.
Yeah it was done by a humanoid, he is an aircraft welder for Boeing, so the guy has some skills that's for sure.
By Headway Headquarters
As of late I have been working at finding the right frequency that will push the tach needle, and although I am still mad scientist-ing it, once I have that I should be able to use a hall effect to determine the output amperes to voltage to the right frequencies to push the tach and make it an ammeter.......I hope!

Got the parts back from the paint shop, and now time to build the battery boxes and start in with figuring out how to best arrange the controller, fuses, contactor etc. and hopefully a DC to DC converter in the old fuel/oil reservoir area under the seat. If worse comes to worse, can always use the glove box to hold a small 12V10Ah battery and ditch the converter.

The front disc brake I ordered was listed for the scooter make and model, but in reality it is for a 16mm instead of a 20mm suspension link, so now I have that little obstacle to hurdle but all should work out in the end. Will most likely use parts for the Stella Vespa scooter which will work with the PX150 that I have along with the disc brake assembly.

The speedo did not fit in the original head cap piece, so while the body was being painted, I went and had an aluminum escutcheon made by a neighbor of mine that built his own CNC machine, so that fits primo now. Plus I think it looks kinda cool nostalgic-ie kinda like the white wall tires....lol :lol:
Attachments
036 Painted and Ready.jpg
Painted
036 Painted and Ready.jpg (271.1 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
034 Speedo too Small.jpg
Speedo too small
034 Speedo too Small.jpg (255.92 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
035 Aluminum Spacer Ring is a Fit.jpg
Aluminum escutcheon makes a nice fit!
035 Aluminum Spacer Ring is a Fit.jpg (273.21 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
By Headway Headquarters
Thanks rybit!

Am working on an idea similar to this http://www.evworks.com.au/index.php?pro ... -ZEVA-FGDP, but only for the tach portion. On another forum someone else was working on something similar so I am taking some of his ideas also to try and see if I can get it working how I would like it to work. The circuit will use a Hall effect current meter for non-contact measurements. The way these work is you power it with, say, 12V. At 0 amps, it outputs 1/2 the supply (6V). The difference from 6V is proportional to the current through the sensor. A comparator and a voltage-to-frequency converter which will take the voltage from the comparator and outputs a pulse signal proportional to the voltage and the frequency is tuned with capacitors and a pot.

As a last resort, may have to use a micro-controller like a PIC and program it, but that would be a very last resort.
By rybitski
I always strayed away from micro controllers in the past, but here recently I have been experimenting with arduino. They are cheap and really not hard to work with. If you do have to go the micro controller route I suggest looking into the arduino and as always if there is anything I could help with let me know.
By Headway Headquarters
hey rybit, thanks for the offer, I had briefly read about the arduino a while back, am not too familiar with it, so if I do go that route, I will probably take you up on your offer!
By Headway Headquarters
Have been building temporary battery boxes out of plywood to make sure I did my math right in figuring out the angles for them, will end up building them out of polycarbonate and ABS. Right now am working on the new wiring diagram, I tore out the old wire harness and am making a new one. Being a 2-stroke, there was a lot of oil all over the wiring insulation and wasn't really sure what was good or not, have opted to make a new wire harness.

Changed out brake and turn signal lights to LEDs, was surprised at how bright they really are.

Broke down and just purchased some turn signal relays, didn't have time to spend on making them, the tach-ammeter project is what I am really going to concentrate on. They are pretty nice, $9 each, but they are only 1 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4" and saved me some time and possibly some headaches.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics
Attachments
038 Change out to LED.jpg
038 Change out to LED.jpg (254.21 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
039 Front Turn Signals.jpg
039 Front Turn Signals.jpg (275.68 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
040 Less energy and heat, just as bright.jpg
040 Less energy and heat, just as bright.jpg (245.71 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
041 Flasher Relays.jpg
041 Flasher Relays.jpg (266.86 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
By Headway Headquarters
Have a short update, not much but am moving right along, a little slower than I'd like, but not for nothin', stuff is happening! :lol:

Been working at the best way to mount the components so I can make sure I have room to mount the battery boxes, which I am still working on. The few other Vespa conversions that I have seen, had the DC motor on the same side as the original, the components on the other side where the original spare tire, battery and regulator were which were all under the left and right cowls. The batteries, typically a 48V SLA battery pack in where the gas tank and oil reservoir used to be finished off the conversions.

As mentioned in early posts, I have gone a totally different route, planning the build with a BLDC hub motor and the components in the gas tank and oil reservoir area leaving space on both sides under the cowls, enough for a 72V32Ah battery pack. I finally figured out how to best mount the components in the area that I had planned for them and as you can see in the picture, there really isn't any decent space for the DC to DC converter for the 12V system without some major modifications which is why I was thinking I may need to use a separate 12V battery.

I mounted the basic components, controller, contactor and main fuse holder to a 3/8" piece of ABS with bolts and then mounted the ABS to the body. Once the components bolted in place it was time to check on another idea that I had. Using a glove box light switch and strips of cool white LED's to place inside under the lip of inside the gas tank reservoir so that the seat, when shut, turns the LEDs off and when open, turns them on so that I have some light inside the dark component area. As I was messing around with the seat and my weak way to 'Pimp My Ride', I found that there was enough space at the rear of the 2 person seat to mount the DC to DC converter, so now I have a space for that and a separate 12V system will not be needed. Need to find a good way to mount without having to drill too many holes in the seat frame, but am glad I found a spot for it.

Still waiting on the right parts so that I can get the steering, front brake and suspension installed, so will be working on the tach-ammeter project.
Attachments
042 Space for Components.jpg
Component area
042 Space for Components.jpg (248.2 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
043 Components Mounted.jpg
Close proximity for the 4 AWG primary wire
043 Components Mounted.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
044 Bolted.jpg
Bolted with lock washers and nylon nuts
044 Bolted.jpg (259.2 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
045 Mounted in Gas and Oil Resevoir Area.jpg
Components mounted in gas and oil reservoir
045 Mounted in Gas and Oil Resevoir Area.jpg (277.37 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
046 Component Board Bolted to Body.jpg
Bolted to body in rear wheel well
046 Component Board Bolted to Body.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
047 Cool White LED for Lighting Components.jpg
Not for 'Pimping My Ride'!
047 Cool White LED for Lighting Components.jpg (261.37 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
048 Testing LED Placement.jpg
Testing LED placement
048 Testing LED Placement.jpg (246.13 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
049 Found aSpot for Converter.jpg
New spot for DC to DC converter
049 Found aSpot for Converter.jpg (313.12 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
By Headway Headquarters
Been slow going, been busy once again building battery packs, but had a little time to figure out how to mount the DC DC converter. I mounted it to a piece of 3/8" polycarbonate that I had. I was debating on building a rigid frame and drilling holes into the seat frame and attaching with some bolts and such, but in trying to keep the original look I opted to just zip tie it to the springs of the seat. A little cheesy, but it was all I could think of at the time. Surprisingly, it is holding up pretty well and the seat will still be able to flex and have a bit of cushion without the converter interfering with the frame of the seat or the body of the scooter. Time will tell how great (or how foolish) of a thought this really was! :lol:
Attachments
051 DC Converter and Mounting Board.jpg
3/8" polycarbonate mounting board for converter
051 DC Converter and Mounting Board.jpg (287.65 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
052 DC Converter Mounted in Place.jpg
All mounted in place and ready to connect to some wire harnessing!
052 DC Converter Mounted in Place.jpg (279.73 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
053 Mounted with Zip Ties.jpg
Zip ties to mount it in place
053 Mounted with Zip Ties.jpg (264.38 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
By timmy2time
Good place for the converter. As it gets warm it will heat up the seat and keep you warm in the winter.
By Headway Headquarters
Hey T2T, yeah nice little seat warmer there!

Thanks for the kudos Short!

Today the parts finally came in for the front disc brake system. They were dragging their feet so I went directly to the manufacturer in Germany and ordered the correct disc brake system. Unfortunately I still have the original one that was sent to me (16mm axle suspension link) that they still have not provided me with a RMA or any type of credit, but have the correct one fitted and installed now (20mm axle suspension link). I'll let them have a good holiday then start in with the emails and phone calls next week to see what they are going to do about it! :evil:

The only complaint I have about the disc brake system is that there are no directions, but having at least a little bit of grey matter in my brain housing group I figured it out pretty easily. Would like to one day change it out to a hydraulic brake system, but for now this will do just fine and dandy! ;)

I chose to use Evinrude Marine EP/wheel bearing grease instead of standard wheel and bearing grease because of it being designed to protect axles and wheel bearings on boat trailers that go into either fresh or salt water, plus a lot of the other marketing ploys they used to get me to buy this stuff! Anyway, rybitski asked to see lots of pictures, so here are some of the front suspension.
Attachments
055 Checking all parts fit.jpg
Making Sure all Parts Fit Properly!
055 Checking all parts fit.jpg (290.62 KiB) Viewed 9530 times
056 Marine Bearing Grease.jpg
Marine Axel and Bearing Grease
056 Marine Bearing Grease.jpg (250.41 KiB) Viewed 9530 times
057 Front Suspension and Brakes Complete.jpg
Front Suspension and Brakes Completed
057 Front Suspension and Brakes Complete.jpg (59.09 KiB) Viewed 9530 times
By Headway Headquarters
Thanks short, they really do seem to be quality parts. My goal is to be taking the first ride before Christmas, as long as it doesn't snow! If not, then the first clear day that I can take it out. Preferably when the roads are dry for the first time, but living here in Washington that may take awhile!

I reattached the front fender, greased up the bearings and got the steering column reinstalled. I cut and drilled the buss bars, still need to grind and sand out the edges a bit then clean them, but that won't take much time.

The Vespa has 24.5mm diameter handle bars, so will have to modify them to fit the standard 7/8" twist throttle and hand grip. I am awaiting arrival of some 7/8" diameter chromoly to weld to the existing handle bars, the headpiece is cast for the 24.5mm existing handlebars, so am going to cut off what is needed to work with the headpiece, and then weld the chromoly so that the twist throttle will fit, along with the other grip and the rear disc brake lever assembly. Seems like the quickest and easiest way to modify, the same guy that fabbed the swing arm is going to do it.

Also, here is the wiring diagram for the 12V system didn't put all the fuses in the schematic like the one before the ignition, but if something looks a little wacky, please LET ME KNOW!!! ;) Also, just for clarity, for the headlight, the H=Hot, the S=Switch (high beam) and G=Ground, and on the switch, C=Common, and L=Low Beam, H=High Beam (I did my own style of labeling!). The original scooter was an electric start, so it had 2 hot wires coming from the ignition, so I will have one go to the contactor and the other to the 12V system keeping everything as isolated as possible.
Attachments
058 Bearing Grease Steering.jpg
Lil grease for the bearings!
058 Bearing Grease Steering.jpg (240.64 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
059 Steering Column Installed.jpg
Steering and front suspension installed
059 Steering Column Installed.jpg (249.33 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
060 Copper Buss Bars.jpg
Stack of shaped buss bars
060 Copper Buss Bars.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
061 Headpiece Handle Bars.jpg
Casted for 24.5mm diameter handlebars
061 Headpiece Handle Bars.jpg (309.26 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
062 Handle Bars.jpg
Keeping area inside circles
062 Handle Bars.jpg (254.56 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
Wiring Diagram.jpg
Wiring Diagram.jpg (296.21 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
By Headway Headquarters
A short update on the project. The scooter had to be sidelined for a month or so, couldn't find the time to really get anything done on it. I did do a buss bar check and layout of the battery.

Have been making a new wire harness and drilling some holes the past few days. Had a random assortment of rubber grommets for the rear tail and brake light wiring. I am changing out to a Euro style taillight, so had to drill a few new holes for the mounting bolts. Used many of the original connectors, like for the cowl light connectors, just made everything much simpler than changing EVERYTHING out. For my LED strips 'under the hood' idea, I ended up choosing to go with a standard car door jamb switch in lieu of the glove box light switch. The glove box light switch was just plastic and I wanted a more robust and durable switch to handle the weight of the rider along with vibrations and such.
Attachments
064 Left Side of Battery.jpg
One Side of battery
064 Left Side of Battery.jpg (265.29 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
069 Rear Light Wiring.jpg
Rubber Grommets
069 Rear Light Wiring.jpg (76.81 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
070 New Euro Style Tail light connectors.jpg
Euro Style Tail Light
070 New Euro Style Tail light connectors.jpg (228.05 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
072 Cowl Light connectors.jpg
Cowl Light Connectors
072 Cowl Light connectors.jpg (277.66 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
Door Jamb Switch.jpg
Door Jamb Switch
Door Jamb Switch.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
By Headway Headquarters
I drilled the hole for the switch and got it wired up. Fits and works great, and looks and feels a lot more durable than the plastic glove box switch. The rubber foot pad of the seat turns the switch off.

I also contacted a guy in Japan who has converted a few Vespa's and asked for his template for the badge (Since the 'Vespa font' is nowhere to be found) and he sent it over to me so that I can cut it out of some metal and have a chrome finish put on it....hopefully if funds permit!
Attachments
073 Hole Drilled for Light Switch.jpg
Holes Drilled
073 Hole Drilled for Light Switch.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
074 Light Switch in and Wired.jpg
Wired Up
074 Light Switch in and Wired.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
075 Door Light Switch.jpg
Door Light Switch
075 Door Light Switch.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
076 Seat Turns Off Lights.jpg
Rubber Foot Pad
076 Seat Turns Off Lights.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
Vespa EV.jpg
Vespa EV Badge
Vespa EV.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
By Headway Headquarters
Another thing that I was able to get done was the handle bar issue, to change out the handle bars from the Vespa standard of 24.5mm dia to a more universal 7/8" or 22mm dia handle bars for the throttle and left grip. The head piece was cast for the larger size and I needed to cut-off what was need to work with the head piece then attach some 7/8" chromoly for the remainder of the handle bars. The new handle bars are in place and I tapped a set-screw to keep the handle bars from twisting in the head piece as the originals once did. The 7/8" handle bars were sleeved with the 24.5mm handle bars before they were welded together. The same guy that did my swing-arm did this work too.
Attachments
065 New Handle Bars.jpg
065 New Handle Bars.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
066 New Chromoly welded to old.jpg
066 New Chromoly welded to old.jpg (242.16 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
067 Tapped a set screw to hold in place.jpg
067 Tapped a set screw to hold in place.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
068 Welded Chromoly to Existing Handle Bars.jpg
068 Welded Chromoly to Existing Handle Bars.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 9128 times
By Headway Headquarters
One other thing that I found out was the frequency I needed to drive the tach to change the tach out to an ammeter. The tach is designed to be able to calculate the RPMs per ignition signal, so there was a few different options to choose from. I used the 1 RPM signal per 6 ignitions which allowed me to use 1Hz = 10RPM = 100mA. So for every ampere I draw, the output would need to be 10Hz for the tach to read 100A. This will allow me to use the numbers on the tach without having to divide or multiply to find out what amperes I am drawing. I will be using a hall effect current sensor which is sensitive to 8.7mV difference in voltage change and with a maximum of 6V out, every ampere is equal to 75mV so the hall effect sensor that I have is well within the range of sensitivity that I am going to need.
By gameboy
i love this build. awesome.
By Headway Headquarters
gameboy wrote:i love this build. awesome.
Thanks, need to get it done though!!!! Figured I would be finished it by now, but things seem to keep arising. :(

I am having trouble making the battery case out of separate pieces of polycarbonate and trying to get the joints to hold well, so am now in the process of building my own plastic bender because I do not want to spend $100~$200 on one or even $80 on just the heat strip. I have some left over plywood and some 2X4's that I am going to use for the base, scrounged the trash and found some pieces of 20ga. sheet metal a couple of old aluminum square towel bars and a burner for an electric stove and I am going to have to purchase a dimmer switch to act as a pot to adjust the heat output. Will post up a picture of it as soon as I can build it and will let you know how well it works. This way I can shape the battery box and form it around the batteries so it is one solid piece rather than 5 pieces glued together for the clear side of the battery box.
timmy2time wrote:So you are going to have an accurate electric motor Tachometer? That is so cool...
Not exactly, it is going to not be a true tach, it is going to be an ammeter so I can watch how many amperes I am drawing during acceleration, while driving (giving me feedback on efficiency of the motor, etc.) rather than showing how many RPM's the motor is turning at.
By Headway Headquarters
rybitski wrote:I can't wait to see more photos!
I can't wait to get more done so I can take more pictures!!! :D

Not much as far as the actual scooter goes, but here is my homemade plastic bender that I am going to use to bend the sides of the battery boxes in place. I am still practicing with it, fine line between being able to have the 1/4" polycarbonate soft enough to bend and having a bunch of air bubbles show up in the bend due to too much heat.

I put a simple dimmer switch in to help regulate the heat depending on the thickness of plastic that I am bending, it seems that I can bend up to 1/4", anything thicker would be too much to heat.

I am now in a little competition with a guy in Oregon who purchased some cells from us to build a 48V battery pack for his Vespa conversion, so the race is on for who will get finished first! Only problem is that I think that I had about 6 months head start and I still think he may beat me!....It will be done for sure by the end of August, I cannot let this project go longer than a year, plus I want to ride before the weather starts to turn here in Washington!!!

Just need to get the battery boxes built and attached, I think I may need to order a longer brake line for the rear brake, do not think it is long enough.
Attachments
077 Heat Bender.jpg
Homemade heatbender
077 Heat Bender.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
078 Bending Polycarbonate Battery Box.jpg
Bending 1/4" Polycarbonate for Battery Box
078 Bending Polycarbonate Battery Box.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
079 Shaping Box to Battery.jpg
Shaping Battery Box Around Battery
079 Shaping Box to Battery.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
080 Few Bubbles at Bends.jpg
Few Bubbles at the Bend
080 Few Bubbles at Bends.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
081 Better than Cutting and Glueing.jpg
Easier and Better than Cutting and Glueing
081 Better than Cutting and Glueing.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
By Headway Headquarters
Well spending most of my non-working time on the scooter, which isn't much time at all, but I've given myself a 2 week deadline to make sure that I have it completed before winter shows up again.

Was a a bit short on the rear brake line, ordered a new one which will not be here until September 7th, so will not be able to have it ready until that comes in, but should have everything else completed by that time.

Going to try something a little different to see how it goes. Used silicone conformal spray and a .3mm (1/128") Teflon sheet between the cells as a barrier to keep them from rubbing each other too much from vibrations and such causing the PVC heat shrink to wear away. Just did not have much room under the cowels to change the size too much, so opted for this type of battery build to try out.

Changing up a little from initial plan on building the battery boxes, still using the polycarbonate, but only using 1/8" thick instead of the 1/4" thick, and am building battery holder/brackets. Should be completed by this weekend so I can spend the rest of the week trouble shooting and getting the controller and everything working correctly with just the brakes needing to be installed by next weekend.
Attachments
077 Batteries Built and Balanced.jpg
Batteries finally built, used Allen head screws and Nord-Lock washers.
077 Batteries Built and Balanced.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
078 All Wire Runs in Split Wire Loom.jpg
Wire harness almost complete, need to connect all to fuses and ignition, all run in split corrugated wire loom.
078 All Wire Runs in Split Wire Loom.jpg (51.14 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
079 Emergency Stop Button Installed.jpg
Emergency stop button installed, same location as old fuel shut-off valve.
079 Emergency Stop Button Installed.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
080 Euro Tail Light Installed.jpg
Euro style tail and brake light installed, holes drilled for license plate bracket.
080 Euro Tail Light Installed.jpg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
081 Headpiece and Speedo Fit.jpg
Headpiece and speedo in place, front turn signals wired up, need to install trim before final side lamp covers are put on.
081 Headpiece and Speedo Fit.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
By gameboy
how do you make me sick and jelous all in the same breath??? wish i had your skillz. love the pics and i cant wait till i get my next fix. :D
By Headway Headquarters
gameboy wrote:how do you make me sick and jelous all in the same breath??? wish i had your skillz. love the pics and i cant wait till i get my next fix. :D
All I can say is thanks! Here's a few more pics and stuff!
robnewyork wrote:What happpened??? # a!##@!#
Life........life happened! :D

We had moved in the beginning of September so all got put on hold for a bit, but I did try and get as much done as possible before the move, which was the reason for a 2 week deadline.....didn't make it! :lol: Anyways, project is on hold until spring time, so this is to bring this post up to date!

Finished up the rewiring of the 12V system, the throttle wire and brake lines still need to be connected, and everything else is close to being finished. The old kill switch is now the horn, the on/off electric start switch is now the high/low beam selector and of course left and right blinker all on one side of the handle bars. After getting the motor and rear brakes in position, I needed to have the tension arm shortened, but now it is all set and put in place.
Attachments
082 Rewiring of 12V system.jpg
12V System rewired
082 Rewiring of 12V system.jpg (159.35 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
083 Thumb Switches.jpg
Thumb Switches
083 Thumb Switches.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
084 Motor and Brakes Finished.jpg
Motor and brakes finished
084 Motor and Brakes Finished.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
Last edited by Headway Headquarters on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So I made mockups of all 6 batts (four 4s and two […]

I need more range and intend to add a extra set […]

that was a fairly detailed how-to, thanks for shar[…]

welcome to the forum!