Submit your entry for E.V. or Scooter of the quarter. Have your scooter displayed for the entire world, and a chance to win a prize!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By aidanworthington
Everything eventualy dies
i was just makeing a general point

If some one was pulling 100 amp out of one of thoes motors they must be stupid or drunk hopefull most of us know better

Iv got a spair 250 watt 24v motor il find out at the weekend what it takes to pop at 12v
it would be a good test for my 200amp amp guage (nasty ebay job) hopefully 200amp is enouth
By aidanworthington
Il load the motor with a improvised water wheel direct drive should do the job
By aidanworthington
robnewyork wrote:industrial RPM vary greatly with application, and also the size balance and armature bearings,,.. the e300 motor would still die at 12 v 100 amps , that's 1200watts into a motor rated for 250.

Iv built a few industrial machines over the years and im building one now (custom auto saw)
but i do have to say direct drive is rearly used and its all geared
so motor rpm as a whole does not come into it just the torque of the output shaft of the gear box and the final rpm of the gearbox + durability
so i do think i have a valid point
since gear boxes come in all sizes and ratios we just use the most cost effective combination motor & box
ac or dc
By robnewyork
well improving the mechanical advantage obviously increases the motors life seeing as how it needs less amperage to do work.. as it applies to scooters that's like adding a geared 350 watt to a scooter topping out at 2 mph and running 100 amp controller, no it wont die,.. it will only draw 30 of those with a 200 lb man.even uphill. I understand ur perspective but oftentimes I feel you paint an ideal circumstance that doesn't apply to scooters.
By aidanworthington
robnewyork wrote:industrial RPM vary greatly with application, and also the size balance and armature bearings,,.. the e300 motor would still die at 12 v 100 amps , that's 1200watts into a motor rated for 250.

im confused at what ur saying compaired to your earlier post
By robnewyork
i lost track of the thread, was just sayin no free energy.. my new position at work is a joke and my shortest day is 12 hrs, will trade go kart for revolver
By aidanworthington
dont forget the hollow tips
its a lot more fun overdosing of lighter gas at least ul die happy

sorry to here the bad news
maybe a career change is in order or at least keep ur options open
this time of the year is allways slow for industry.
Atleast now ul have time to get thing done
By robnewyork
its life,.,. im glad this forum is evolving.. a saw a 5000 dollar bike conversion on endless sphere thats slower than buddys pocked mod so research is key.. buy all the fancy crap u want , doesnt mean the scooter will be fast,, its trial and error
By robnewyork
an average electrical engineer cant build a good scooter day one , the education has nothing to do with experience , especially if he designs lets say industrial fingerprint machines for a living .he will know all the math , the defieciencies and have the design mapped out in 30 seconds , but this is along learning curve
By aidanworthington
true
anyone can draw a scooter but putting one together is a diferent story
just look at all that crap on utube
I build things for a liveing and i like my scooter builds to look like something you would find in a shop
I think you can tell a lot about a person by the quality of there builds and how they go about doing them
By robnewyork
its also about budget , but making electrical vehicles reliable is still a challenge with most parts from china.goin fast on electric (top speed or acceleration) gets pricey fast
By aidanworthington
I find good batteries are the hardest to find
and cost about 1/2 the buget
but things are dropping in price slowly
By robnewyork
yes, im realizing fast these 12 ah slas arent cuttin it , 1.6 mile endurance ttest in 5 mins and we were dead last night.
By aidanworthington
how meny are you running and at what voltage

by looking at the size of that motor on that cart i dont think
it will notice the extra weight
i would guess a minimum of 40ah (thats would be what i would shoot for)
By robnewyork
im running 48v 12 ah, id need at least 40 ah to have any ride time, really it needs lipos.. the kart doesnt notice 315 lbs when i have 2 ppl on it , but i notice when i have to carry it outside.
By aidanworthington
thats the only problem with carts is the weight at least with a scoot its not as wide or heavy
By robnewyork
yes, but u can put lots of power to the ground with a kart, and potential braking power is better too.
By aidanworthington
true
if a cart is practical for you then great
but for me a scoot is best for me

you should build a roll cage and fit 4 high powerd led lights on that cart of yours
that should get u noticed more
where would this form go without you lol
By robnewyork
yes, its unsafe , but my 2 wheel scoot is ready to go when i need to pick up the gf a mile away.this forum , hmm, you would be replying to yourself like i do
Voltage boost 24 -> 36v on the fly

Nah, thought about running another controller and […]