Submit your entry for E.V. or Scooter of the quarter. Have your scooter displayed for the entire world, and a chance to win a prize!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By aidanworthington
here is a project i did a while ago
48v 1000w hubmotor with a 20 ah battery pack here's a pick enjoy
Photo0014.jpg
By maurtis
Love the Magic Pies, I hear really good things about them. I was tempted to go with one on my wife's bike to keep it simple with the internal controller since she wanted to stay in the 25 - 30 MPH range (I think the MP3 does mid 20s at 48V). I just went with a 9C hub with external controller since I got a good deal on one very slightly used.

How are the big SLAs holding up?
By aidanworthington
I was supprised myself on my the first drive it was quite nippy considering the amount of lead thats was on it.
It even maneged to get up a %10 hill with no assistance
Im using it as a run around at the moment but with a top speed of 33 and a average speed of 22 its going to get me in trouble one day
By aidanworthington
more like soft roading
water is the main issue at the moment
spray goes everywhere just trying to keep it under control
By aidanworthington
In the past iv used plastic drain pipe's (and a blow torch )to make mud gards
Last edited by aidanworthington on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By aidanworthington
My deep water record is 22" so far
(and i did that on my scooter)
waterproofing is do or die over here
the easyist way to waterproof a controller is to fill it to the top with silicon
the only downside is that the controler its full of silicon lol
Iv filled my kelly with silicon and its working great. :twisted:
By robnewyork
that's insane , I broke down in the rain one night , now I at minimum heat shrink connectors.
By aidanworthington
I like those heat srink conectors with glue built in there the only ones i buy (if i have to use then)
i much prefer to solder all conections then heat srink were possible :P or for the best conection i take the tube out of the crimp and solder it to the wires then heat srink if u know where im comeing from :)

What do you think of this idea
IMG_19700109_201804[1].jpg

if i put a fixed gear on the hub motor which is routhly inbetween gear 1&7 i should get 3 easyer gears one the same as the direct drive and 3 faster
I think its a good upgrade :D
Last edited by aidanworthington on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By robnewyork
yes,a simply transmission, I still wonder why we don't use cvt trannys like old mini bikes etc..
By aidanworthington
iv thort that
but some ev conversions do use the gearbox and cluch which is the best next things i guess
By aidanworthington
I found this a few years ago when i was running my emax 110s
so they are out there some where
untitled.png
untitled.png (76.2 KiB) Viewed 5758 times

imagesCAH7ZDXB.jpg
imagesCAH7ZDXB.jpg (10.2 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
By aidanworthington
The derailer nor the runner wheel are under drive load just the top of the chain this is like a normal bike
so it should be fine ( plus the rpm is slow enouth too)
By robnewyork
wow , that's interesting .. ive never done an ebike so have no clue, personally id want no pedals lol
By aidanworthington
24 to 48 using the built in controler
programing requied magic pie 2 must go chat soon
By aidanworthington
60v is its absulute max
it will take it but the garentee doesnt cover it
its very close to the max load the mos-fets can take
at that voltage ud be pushing 2000w .
It is rated 1000w is at 36v
i was running 48v which works out to be 1680w
Running 2000w pluss id change the fets in the controler or run an external controler the choice is yours changing the fets is
probily the best idea from my point of view
By robnewyork
ok now i know the nominal.. yea , no pint in doin 60v, the kart is done for now , check the thread, videos uploading soon, very fast with me 170, buddy 145(10stone ) is headed over , i start work 4am so given the time difference mate we keep the same schedule lol.if i did the math the kart is 2238w , but i go by stock numbers so 559 w way overvolted :D lol.
By aidanworthington
time will tell
your forgetting leg power is = to about 650w with a peak of 1200w if your fit enouth.
Iv used chain saw's in the past to power bikes using this setup (and they were ok)
so i dont see any forseable problems

Iv been lookink at motors again and there is no chance of getting a leeson over here or any of your other options
with out spending £350 or more
But i have found some 24v 2kw hydrolic pump motors for a fork lift
that show some promis they look like small golf cart motors
Il have to make my own face plate thow (no probblem)
The motor iv been looking at is the same as this but it has 4 outer electro mags not 2
(unless that plastic plate is covering the seam which thinking about it it probily is (long bolts between coils))
imagesCA6YINJ3.jpg
imagesCA6YINJ3.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
By robnewyork
look for floor scrubber motors mate , they come with keywayed shafts ..these motors are robust but too much initial work to get a sprocket on em.
By robnewyork
24v 3000w is all u will ever need, id get the yk43b from china , and run this thing at 60v 100amps , or use ur kelly
By aidanworthington
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261347315696?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648
The one im looking at is brand new and cheaper than thoese good work thow
I dont mind makeing a shaft adapter it quite easy what i do is tap out a 8mm hole in centre the original motor shaft
then mill out a stort shaft from stainless with the male end then drill a 8 mm hole throu its centre so i can bolt it to the motor shaft job done :lol:
By robnewyork
ok, id rather spend 70 quid and have a shaft, new doesnt mean much with industrial motors, if they were gonna die they would be dead in their real world application, not pushing a scooter.that said , if the shaft adapter will go together smoothly , then sure go for it! 12 v 2 hp running at 36v and 100 plus amps will be cool, whats the rpm rating , i missed that part?
By robnewyork
also it says 12v and 24 v , which is it ?? if its 24 v id run 60, 12 v 36 would suffice.. im running the leeson 12v at 48 with no issues and it only gets warm after a brutal beating up and down the block.
By aidanworthington
Its 24v but the contackter is 12v i think the seller just messed up the add
iv checked the spec sheet and top rpm is 2800 at 24v and 1200 at 12v so i guess voltage doesn't matter all that much.
Im going to run it on 36v and use a kelly controler again so i can slowly adjust the ampage till it runs at a good temp.
( il put a order in soon)
Iv decided to copy the fraim of the hill killer scooter but size it for the new batteries and motor
all things being good il start building in the next 3 days im just drawing it up at the moment

Beer is the fuel of creation
By aidanworthington
Shafting is no problem il make 3 so i can play with ratio's without having to mess too much
By robnewyork
aidanworthington wrote:Its 24v but the contackter is 12v i think the seller just messed up the add
iv checked the spec sheet and top rpm is 2800 at 24v and 1200 at 12v so i guess voltage doesn't matter all that much.
Im going to run it on 36v and use a kelly controler again so i can slowly adjust the ampage till it runs at a good temp.
( il put a order in soon)
Iv decided to copy the fraim of the hill killer scooter but size it for the new batteries and motor
all things being good il start building in the next 3 days im just drawing it up at the moment

Beer is the fuel of creation

beer has inspired all my projects , and created solutions i would have never imagined.. ur plan sounds greaT, i dont think ur kelly will get that motor hot at all as i have yet to even get the .75 leeson hot on 4x voltage and over 100 amps.with 2800 rpm at nominal , 36 will be great ,how fast do u plan on going ? what gear ratio will u use ?? are u welding and fabricating the frame from scratch?
By aidanworthington
no its a small suicide motor 2kw 3 to 8 hp
about the same size as the 1000w unite
imagesCA6YINJ3.jpg
imagesCA6YINJ3.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
By robnewyork
if u blow this motor off 200 amp kelly and normal gearing illl be shocked.. whats this motors real purpose again>?
By robnewyork
as long as ur supplying the amps , u should rocket 0-30 even with 24v .. and ur plan so far has the amperage in spades.with that 200 amp controller ur all set, just plan ur gear ratio math ahead of time , usually industrial motors need a variotion from the scooter indended motors, for example the pocket mod is geared 21-55 as opposed to stock 11-80
By aidanworthington
They do run a bit slow
iv allways thort the average speed for a dc motor is about the 3000 rpm mark
maybe there a bit slow to get the reliability up
if i ran a 24v e300 motor at 12v it would be indestructable !!
By robnewyork
industrial RPM vary greatly with application, and also the size balance and armature bearings,,.. the e300 motor would still die at 12 v 100 amps , that's 1200watts into a motor rated for 250.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]