Only post here if you are in expert in an area and are sure that this is something we MUST know before starting a project!

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By gameboy
weirdgood
Posted - 09/15/2009 : 15:10:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a tip I discovered on my Izip. If you want to test your battery voltage under load, just connect your voltmeter's positive lead to pin 1 on your charger input (which is positive +) and the negative lead to the opposite pin until you get a voltage reading.
Once you can read your voltage, if you have a digital meter, you can suspend it from your handlebars and read actual voltages of your string under load or during cruising. My voltage drops under load and rises again once I get to cruising speed.

I want to add to this.

you can also do this without going anywhere or in your garage. place your scooters front tire against a wall or immovable object, then connect the meter to your batteries and read the static voltage, once you have done this slowly start the rotating the throttle and watch the voltage if it drops below the stated voltage below then your batteries are bad and need to be replaced and that is why your LVC is kicking in.

24v -> 21v or lower
36v -> 31.5v or lower
48v -> 42v or lower
60v -> 52.5v or lower
72v -> 63v or lower
By gameboy
Storm
Posted - 09/18/2009 : 03:13:23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get one of these fandangled things called a cycle analyst from ebike.ca, its lcd digital display can show things like voltage, amperage, wattage, kmph/mph, min/max volts amd amps, watt hours used FWD regen and more. I have one, I love it. Watts up meter is another available readout/recorder but the motor power cables need to be run through the shunt behind the display which it you want to have it on the bar means that you need to run loong wires - not good for performance ;)
By jtotheace
The "Watt's-Up" Meter is another more affordable option (around $50 + shipping) and are available from many sellers such as Amazon. They offer features such as:
"* Measures energy (Wh), charge (Ah), power (W), current (A) and voltage (V) for 4 - 60V, including NiCd, NiMH , and SLA, and Li-Ion battery packs
* Precision current sensing resistor, with only 0.001 Ohm resistance and circuitry only draws 0.007 Amps. Acts like a wire so doesn't affect model's performance.
* Uses DSP to increase ADC resolution and differential measurement amplifiers to increase noise immunity
* Accurate & precise - 0.01 A current and 0.01 V voltage resolutions.
By storm
Although it's cheaper you cant really sit it on the bars as I stated in the first reply cos the shunt is behind the screen whereas the CA has a remote shunt.

Maybe someone can modify a watts up/turnigy meter and remote the shunt??
I personally like the turnigy watt meter. I usually order it from hobbyking because it is much cheaper than buying it here in the states. I will be buying another here pretty soon for my current project. I have an idea for modding it to have the screen on the handle bars and not having 5ft long power leads. I will post pics and details when I get it in and do the mod.
By NayNay
Interesting- I just bought a cheap DMM at the Harbor Freight grand opening today (YAY, we have harbor freight!) for $2.99 with the intent of wiring it into my e300 to be able to monitor my voltage under load. Planning on mounting it to be able to monitor the differences as I do various mods.
gameboy wrote:Storm
Posted - 09/18/2009 : 03:13:23

You can get one of these fandangled things called a cycle analyst from ebike.ca, its lcd digital display can show things like voltage, amperage, wattage, kmph/mph, min/max volts amd amps, watt hours used FWD regen and more. I have one, I love it. Watts up meter is another available readout/recorder but the motor power cables need to be run through the shunt behind the display which it you want to have it on the bar means that you need to run loong wires - not good for performance ;)

How does that meter hook up to read MPH.? Is there a sensor/pickup placed somewhere.?
I was thinking of a mechanical MPH unit and Hobby King meter. ($70-$100 total)
Battery/Controller are inches apart near top of triangle.
I would use CA if not too complicated to hook up, it would be more accurate.
electric_movers wrote:I was thinking of a mechanical MPH unit and Hobby King meter. ($70-$100 total)

No use a simple bike speedo
(you set them to the diameter of the wheel)
for like less than $10

after that you could run a volt /amp meter
(china special $20 for the pair)
if needed
$30 is better than $70-$100

Hi Waxmonkee! Wow, where to start? I'm new to […]