Anything that relates to scooters & general forum updates

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By zogthegreat
Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is having a great summer and that your batteries last long!

I was thinking about my next build and it got me wondering why there aren't any transmissions for e-vehicles? It would make sense to have one as it would lower the RPM's of the motor. Lower RPM's = less amps to the motor = longer range.

Anyone know why there aren't any transmissions for us?

zog
By robnewyork
ive seen plenty conversions on dirtbike trannys , and moped trannys.. anything will work.. u would also gain serious top speed, the weak point is always the clutch when it comes to electric.. the torque is exremely sudden
By zogthegreat
robnewyork wrote:ive seen plenty conversions on dirtbike trannys , and moped trannys.. anything will work.. u would also gain serious top speed, the weak point is always the clutch when it comes to electric.. the torque is exremely sudden

Hmm, that could be a problem. I'm tentatively planning a racing go-kart for my 12 year old daughter. Initially, it will be slow, with me ramping up the speed as she develops the skills to control the kart. In the beginning, I'll probably use the motor from the Beast, (I'm thinking of calling the project "Spawn of the Beast!), although I seem to be having problems with my Kelly controller. After, depending on my budget and how well my girl develops the skills necessary for controlling a vehicle at high speeds, (I'm really not concerned about her loosing interest in it. Unfortunately, she's to much like her father when it comes to speed! :o ), I'll probably go with a brushless setup.

As a side note, I can't wait until Elon Musk starts putting out cheaper lithium batteries like he has been promising. SLA's do the job, but lithium is really the way to go!
By zogthegreat
How much lighter is a Leason compared to the motor on the Beast? For a racing cart, weight will always be an issue. The problem with the motor on the Beast is that it weighs in at 50 lbs. As a former 11B rob, you know that "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain!". :lol:
Troubleshooting Dirt Quads

The problem could be mixing old SLA batteries wi[…]

Mom normally doesn't know what we are up too until[…]

No, I'll keep the batteries, I'm supposed to be pi[…]

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D What's the motor[…]