Need new motors? break a chain? brakes not work? swapping out pinions or sprockets?

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

Now you have me curious. No good for powering an electric vehicle or no good for regenerative braking? This is the unit I'm considering here. It's 2.5 hp, 2550 rpm, 12v and roughly 2000 watts.

I helped another gentlemen modify a powerwheels using one of these and it performed quite well. For my application I am primarily interested in torque as I have a gas engine that will take over at higher speeds.
in general these motors are like starter motors, they are made for super short burts, cheap internals and will die with long duration work , unlike a PM motor. The electric starter motor or starting motor is the most common type used on gasoline engines and small diesel engines. The modern starter motor is either a permanent-magnet or a series-parallel wound direct current electric motor with a starter solenoid (similar to a relay) mounted on it.""

anyway, ive never seen one used for regen or even a 5 mile range scooter.. for ur sons project it worked but on here even a 1000watt unite would be better for durability.
It wasn't my build, I just designed the electrical configuration. I believe it ran something near 20 mph on 24v.

I get what your saying on durability. In this case that's not really an issue. It's going in a Carter mini monster truck as a "hill climb assist / reverse" motor. Well, that's the plan anyways.... :? :lol:

It's gas powered but the torque converter belt doesn't like attempting to climb inclines without momentum... It also lacks reverse and the truck is quite difficult to get in and out of, so it's a major pain if you get yourself into a corner you can't get out of.

The electric motor will be run with a clutch in tandem with the gas motor. Normal operation the clutch free wheels but when power is applied to the electric motor the clutch engages and gets the chain drive moving in the desired direction. The motor would be used for short bursts, probably never more than 10 seconds at a time.
2015-12-23 01.30.06b.jpg
2015-12-23 01.30.06b.jpg (417.62 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
robnewyork wrote:very cool what are u looking to build
That little truck is my build. It's pretty big, need to be about 5' tall just to see out the windows. It has a 5 hp gas motor but the tires are so big it bogs on an incline. I intend to extend the primary drive chain and add the electric motor inline. It would only be powered when the gas motor needed assist, or to move in reverse. I'm not tied to this particular motor, it's just the 2000+ watts has a certain appeal... :twisted:
Adding on to this...

Electric motor would be geared to spin at the same speed as the engine. That means with the engine at WOT the electric motor could be spinning as high as 5000 rpm. It's only rated as a 2600 rpm motor so I'm not sure if that would cause it to fail, or how much drag it would induce. I've considered using a centrifugal clutch so that the electric motor won't be in motion unless powered up.

If I did leave the motor connected directly, without a clutch, then regenerative braking "might" be possible. I'll be honest, I can wire these motors up, but I don't fully understand the internal working of them.
robnewyork wrote:ok as a hybrid application id only use the electric motor for steep hills and acceleration.. id have it cut out at 10 mph or less ..
Definitely. I would use a "turbo" button that would have to be held down to energize the motor.

What I don't know is the drag of the motor. A 2-wire motor is automatically a generator and can add some serious drag. On these "field coil" motors, is there any drag at all when they are not energized?
robnewyork wrote:ok as a hybrid application id only use the electric motor for steep hills and acceleration.. id have it cut out at 10 mph or less ..
Definitely. I would use a "turbo" button that would have to be held down to energize the motor.

What I don't know is the drag of the motor. A 2-wire motor is automatically a generator and can add some serious drag. On these "field coil" motors, is there any drag at all when they are not energized?
Doing more research, it seems these field coil motors have a soft start compared to pm motors because it takes s little time for the field coil to build up. I'm curious if anything bad would happen if the field coil were left energized for long periods of time without energizing the armature?
Ok, so my main question has been sufficiently answered. It "could" provide regenerative braking but wiring it up to switch from motivating the ride to slowing it down would be no small technical hurdle.

As far as using it as a boost motor, it should work just fine considering it will only be engaged for brief "spurts" of time.
robnewyork wrote:Yep.. I think the regen will be complex but for short brutal bursts I'd skip a controller and wire direct to a large battery.. And have a holy cow button.
I don't know if the #35 chain will pop before it pulls a wheelie but... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

I, too, was considering a metal barrier. Was also[…]

I need more range and intend to add a extra set […]

that was a fairly detailed how-to, thanks for shar[…]

welcome to the forum!