Need new motors? break a chain? brakes not work? swapping out pinions or sprockets?

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

Hey guys, new here and only recently got into scooters after i decided to cut the stress & hassle of unreliable autos from my life (at least for now... lol). I hate owning things that i can't do all the work on myself, especially something as complicated as a car. LEVs on the other hand, are fundamentally simple and cheap to maintain. so this Ecosmart is currently my daily commuter vehicle (almost 4 miles each way). well enough with the intro lol...

Recently bought a Razor Ecosmart Metro and love it so far, and inevitably i've already started modding it. so far, here's what i've done to it:
  • Replaced the stock throttle & controller with a kit on ebay (link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221706345030 - fastscooters controller rated at 36V 30A, throttle w/voltage indicator & key switch)
  • Replaced the 3 stock 7AH SLA batteries with 4 10AH ones (i read on here that a 36v controller should be able to handle 48v of batteries, and so far it seems fine. all 4 batts fit in my battery compartment with minimal hacking with a dremel)
Now the next thing i'm thinking of doing is replacing the existing 36V 500W motor with a 24V motor. i have to admit i don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff, but i've been browsing this forum for several days now and i think i'm learning some of the basics... and it seems that swapping in a lower voltage motor (36v -> 24v in this case) would yield me the quickest & cheapest performance gains.

does this sound like a good setup? ultimately i'd be looking at:
should i consider upgrading to a controller like the YK43B? (even though i just got the fastscooters one from ebay, but i will get a better one if it would make that much of a difference... not terribly concerned about inaccurate battery levels if that's my only concern).

i should mention that while i would love to be able to go faster than 20-22mph, since this is my commuter vehicle my primary concern is reliability. so if switching to a lower voltage motor could lead to it burning out a lot faster in this setup, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. but maybe it's safe, but i don't know... hence this post :lol:

any advice would be greatly appreciated, and i apologize if this post is long and all over the place :)

By zen_racer
1.21 Gigawatts wrote: Now the next thing i'm thinking of doing is replacing the existing 36V 500W motor with a 24V motor. i have to admit i don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff, but i've been browsing this forum for several days now and i think i'm learning some of the basics... and it seems that swapping in a lower voltage motor (36v -> 24v in this case) would yield me the quickest & cheapest performance gains.
welcome, if you have an itch to mod then this is the right place lol. so, to narrow the focus, what exactly are you looking to accomplish by replacing that motor?

quickest & cheapest performance gains don't exist. really, they dont.

what you've proposed is going to lead to a domino effect, exchanging one problem for another.

so back to the question - what are your specific goals?
By codeman
A couple of things to think about to help you decide what you want to do.

1. The motor controller has two purposes. One is to offer variable speed. The other is to protect the motor by limiting the current sent to the motor. This leads to two very important points. First is that if you swap the motor out with a larger one that can handle more current and you do not change the controller to one that can supply more current then you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Second is that if you replace the controller with one that can supply more current than your motor can handle then the motor will burn up. It isn't a question of if but of when. A yk43b will fry your stock motor in a minute or so. It will fry any moderate upgrade as well.
2. It is true that overvolting a motor make it turn more rpm. In fact the rpm is directly proportional to the voltage. In other words you can definitely know what the speed will be at the new voltage. If you increase the voltage by 25% then your top speed will go up 25%. Now here is the deal though. If the motor is only designed to run on 24V and you supply 36V then you are forcing it to work harder than it was designed. The motors on Razor scooters are crap anyway so they will die eventually. I would not buy a Unite brand motor that is a 24V motor and supply it with 48V and think it will take that for very long.
3. The more power you send to the motor the faster your batteries run down. In other words the price you pay for better acceleration and speed is less range. Nothing comes free here.

So like zen_racer said you need to decide what you want to accomplish up front or you will find out the hard way that changing one part only may just cause another part to burn out and need replacing. If you want more power and speed then plan on a new motor and higher current controller. If you want the motor to last and be reliable then run it within spec. You can regear the scooter for acceleration or speed if needed. In other words if you want to go faster while keeping your motor at the specified 3000rpm then you have to change the sprockets. The increased ratio will hurt your acceleration so then you need a more powerful motor and controller to get the acceleration back.

I hope this helps. There is a lot to think about. If this is your daily driver you need to be careful in what you do. My Razor buggies and quads are the kids play toys. It is not a problem if they break down and they do all of the time.
Yep. Once I modded the pocket mod with a 1k motor. I didn't need the stock motor so I ran it 48v 8ah just for fun. It was fun and it was impressive but just a few runs down the street and it shut off on me. Motor was hoooooot. Ran it some more at 60v...low speeds and a few full speed burts. Burnt charred dead. In under 2 miles total 48 and 60v fun but ehhhh
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

I, too, was considering a metal barrier. Was also[…]

I need more range and intend to add a extra set […]

that was a fairly detailed how-to, thanks for shar[…]

welcome to the forum!