Need new motors? break a chain? brakes not work? swapping out pinions or sprockets?

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

Thank for the props everyone. Im just happy everything lined up. Both the motor mount and the throttle wiring were worrying me.

We ran here around a park down here, hard driving on grass and brick path, she didnt skip a beat doing 45 mins straight with the motor getting slightly warm. Im very glad I got the Currie, she is a very smooth, linear motor.

robnewyork wrote:also , beware.. the battery running the fan will run lower than others.. it will need to be charged both individually and with the pack in order to keep a balance on all 3 batteries.. all thould read 12.7 to 13.0 after charging.

Yes I am aware. I measured the voltage difference and it was .1 volt difference to one battery, .2 volt to the other. If I waned to be overly cautious, i would balance them first, but with that difference, I'm not caring enough to put the extra effort in. In a week or two Ill just order a stepdown so i can run leads from all 36v and output 12v. I didnt spend time wiring in the key switch, so next will the that and the stepdown.

Overall, have to see Im quite surprised with the chassis at the abuse taken without breaking a sweat. Offroad in mulch with a 165lbs adult. No problem. New tires are great, much smoother ride and alot of traction in dirt and mulch.

I didnt get video yet of the new setup, next weekend I will and will post.

Thanks again for the help all.
Thanks Rob!

I've never had an electric vehicle that moves people, but I used to run RC cars (nitro and electric)/boats/planes/drones so the electrics is very similar. I had tons of decent cable, connectors and switches around which helped alot. I knew really what mods to get with yours and the forums help. I think I was a little lucky to have the motor mount up perfectly. I really didnt feel like modifying the mounts.

Being that my 24v/36v switch wont work, Im going to try and fabricate a simple guard that will let me limit the throw on the throttle. Either that, or I am going to make the speed controllers swappable using XT60 and JST plugs. Right now, the only hard wired wires are the 3 throttle wires. I ran out of connectors thankfully right near the end. Had to cut and unsolder a bunch of XT60 connectors so I would have enough female sides. The XT60s held up perfectly to the full day of romping. Took about 3-4 hours to recharge the 3 batteries on my 36v fast charger so I know my kids did their work. We ran it on a playground before church let out on sunday and wow, in the mulch she gets squirrely, hell of a lot of fun. Will drive right through grass without skipping a beat. My wife thinks Im a jackass because Ill take it out and walk the dog. Im having fun so leave me be woman!
lol, i used to take my dune buggy on 10,000watts to the grocery stock and haul butt in the snow back to the apartment in queens.. id look certifiable smiling ear to ear on a kids cart.you may wanna make an adult one so u can chase the kiddo( industrial leeson classiffieds for 95 shipped, yk43b is only 40 shipped, and then some big batteries )
robnewyork wrote:lol, i used to take my dune buggy on 10,000watts to the grocery stock and haul butt in the snow back to the apartment in queens.. id look certifiable smiling ear to ear on a kids cart.you may wanna make an adult one so u can chase the kiddo( industrial leeson classiffieds for 95 shipped, yk43b is only 40 shipped, and then some big batteries )

This dune buggy is my adult one :lol: I just let my kids borrow it

I had a question, cant remember what it was. Think I'm done modding the major stuff for right now. Have some projects for the Nerf guns I mod that I need to finish.
I saw that....insane.

BTW think I found a great solution to my speed limiter needs. I was on ebay and saw a guy selling a Potentiometer that solder in between the signal line to the controller for $15?!?! Obviously he had all the numbering and specs hidden, but it wasnt that hard to use some Google-Fu and find out it is a 5k OHM Linear Potentiometer which i can get for $3 from Ebay or Amazon. Simple and the article I found says it works great.

Oh i remember my question from yesterday that i forgot. Has anyone replace the brake caliper? I was thinking an Avid BB-7 would be awesome to try, but its missing the back most mount. Im not a welder otherwise I would make a mount.
you could do duaal stock calipers if u wanted , you would have to make a bracket but for 10 mph id say the buggy stops okay.. it stopped us at 42 with some adjustments to make it bite the second we hit it.As for as the pot,it makes sense , but why would u wanna go slower?? i missed that part.
robnewyork wrote:As for as the pot,it makes sense , but why would u wanna go slower?? i missed that part.

I dont want to go slower, I want my kids to :evil:

Im actually just annoyed with all the stretch in the stock brake. I might just get a new brake lever and wire that doesnt stretch. It will slow, but its so darn spongey. If you have ever used disk brakes on a mountain bike you would see the difference, especially if you run hydraulic brakes.
ok,.. so u want the additional torque but u want the top speed to be lower. you cant modify the gearing with ease, you can however put a mechanical limiter on the throttle.. i never had brake problems with the buggy, id replace the entire brake line and fine tune it so theres almost no visible clearance between the caliper and the disc before engaging
By codeman
For the record the brakes on the dune buggy are not good. This is especially true if you install larger wheels. Larger diameter wheels give the wheels mechanical advantage over the small disc brake. When riding on dirt I can pull the brake as hard as I want and it gradually slows. No lockup even in dirt. I considered trying to build a brake using the motor but decided not to add the complexity.
By robnewyork
i will add that very few razor models have good brakes.. id venture to say the mx500 is the only model with good brakes.. the scooters with the drum brakes are horrible and wont even slow u down after 20 mph.. in comparison to those the dune buggy brakes seem okay..
robnewyork wrote:ok,.. so u want the additional torque but u want the top speed to be lower. you cant modify the gearing with ease, you can however put a mechanical limiter on the throttle.. i never had brake problems with the buggy, id replace the entire brake line and fine tune it so theres almost no visible clearance between the caliper and the disc before engaging

Actually want it to be less everything, just so my 6 year old doesnt kill himself. The torque comes on very abruptly and he ran it right in to a tree, luckily he had his belt and helmet on, moreso the belt. He would have gone all Air Jordan in to the trunk. Again, the lack of differential is scary at this level of torque.

As for the brakes, once I adjusted them, they were better, also cleaned off the chain lube that sprinkled on during maintenance with some brake cleaner. Having rode mountain bikes, I can tell you the brakes are terrible. If I cant lock them, they dont grab enough. It could be the cable stretched, maybe Ill replace that first and see what happens. The disk is extremely small which doesnt help at all. My mt bike had 200mm disks, these are probably like 80.
a hall throttle and a limiter on the throttle would help.. a 24v controller with a 48v motor would work too.lower amperage controller would slow it quite a bit but maybe to the point it wont move// how was the stock configuration with the child? also was the goal to have a fastt settting and a slow setting, it seems that way?
Nah not changing the hardware, just going to add the potentiometer. Stock configuration was good, they love it now. I really dont mind my kids too much hauling buttocks, but of course all the neighborhood kids want to ride too.
By chevyfried
noahmercier wrote:that looks much faster than stock! Great work.

You sound like my wife :lol: :lol: :lol: I swear honey it isn't any faster than when I first got it :shock: :shock: :shock: My kid yesterday comes running upstairs and proceeds to ask mommy if she wants to see his drifting videos. :roll:

robnewyork wrote:hows the motor temp?

It was warm, not really warm but also not cool. If I had to guess, I would say it is within operating temperature. That was also after the fan/light lead got unsoldered from the switch so the whole time the fan wasnt running.

On the way I have a 12t and 13t pinion to give a try. Ordered those today. Also ordered a proper 36v to 12v buck converter, a 5k ohm pot and some more xt60 connectors since I always run out of females.

I got a heatsink/fan for an Intel socket 775 processor that I am going to mount on the endbell. It has an aluminum heatsink with a copper core. I figure I strap this thing right on the end. Looks like this:

Nope, not yet. I have the digital voltmeter, 36v to 12v converter, key lock and the gears all sitting in a box waiting for installation. Went away fore the weekend so had no time. If I get home early enough tonight ill do some work but may have to wait until weekend.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]