Need new motors? break a chain? brakes not work? swapping out pinions or sprockets?

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By ray1377
I have 2 old razor E100 electric scooters that have long since outlasted my daughters.
I took them apart and did some searching and discovered that the motors are 150w 24v.
Each motor has a tiny #25 , 11 tooth sprocket on it with a larger sprocket on the rear wheel.
My question is, could these two motors be configured with larger sprockets on the drive wheels to say
power a RC zero turn lawnmower? Or are they too small and weak to pull that amount of weight?
Would they have enough torque if they were geared down alot?
I would like to find a donor electric wheelchair but they are expensive and I have the scooters already and would
like to use them if they will work to keep costs down.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ray

By robnewyork
yep, even geared for 10 mph the 2 motors provided 20 amps each should be fine pushing 240 lbs all day long.. so geared for 4 mph will be no issue.welcome 1377!!!!!!!!!
By robnewyork
might wanna consider cutting the back end off the 2 scooters ( just motor and drivetrain) then mounting these as outrunners on the mower. This way ur drivetrain is done and ur onto wiring the new controllers and throttle.. all prettty simple except the RC part
By ray1377
Well I had thought of that, but as I remember the instructions on the scooters said to push off with one foot and then twist the throttle. I'm not really sure they have enough torque to start off from a dead start without being given a little help.
What do you think?
Thanks
Ray
By ray1377
I forgot to ask before, but any ideas on where to get those #25 tiny sprockets so I can try to gear the mower down?
And with a 11 tooth on the motor, how will I know what tooth sprocket to put on the drive wheel so it comes out slow but with ample torque to pull the heavy mower?
Thanks
Ray
By robnewyork
ray1377 wrote:Well I had thought of that, but as I remember the instructions on the scooters said to push off with one foot and then twist the throttle. I'm not really sure they have enough torque to start off from a dead start without being given a little help.
What do you think?
Thanks
Ray
thats because the stock controllers are wired that way , has nothing to do with the motors , has to do with batter life for kids/. And the motors are geared as low as it gets with 9 tooth sprockets on them.. Now u need a big drive sprocket on the wheel of the vehicle, tncscooters.com has em ALL
By robnewyork
ray1377 wrote:I forgot to ask before, but any ideas on where to get those #25 tiny sprockets so I can try to gear the mower down?
And with a 11 tooth on the motor, how will I know what tooth sprocket to put on the drive wheel so it comes out slow but with ample torque to pull the heavy mower?
Thanks
Ray
that all depends on the wheel size on the drive wheel. obvioulsy u cant put an 80 tooth on a 4 inch wheel. So ideally u want the max size sprocket that will fit the wheel, with the chain not rubbing the ground. Heres my citiglide which carried me up walls essentially with a 9-80 tooth arrange,ment

yes it was made from junk for 40 bux, best scooter i ever had
By robnewyork
the notion of using the 2 back halves of the scooter has to do with saving u massive time and money, and almost nothing to do with the stock electronics except the motor..if the motors are only pushing the machine and the steering is a seperate servo, one controller can run both motors, and one throttle.. EXTREMELY simple, takes 99 % of the fabrication out of the equation
By ray1377
Well I had actually thought about using a Sabertooth dual motor controller like they use on the wheelchair motor powered RC mowers. that way I can put swivel wheels on the front so I can have a nice small zero turn mower for mowing in really tight spots.
The mower I plan to use is one of them with big wheels in the back, sorta like a kids 12 inch bmx bike 5 spoke wheels.
I wonder how big a sprocket I could get to fit them?
And then that begs the question, what tooth wheel sprocket to I need to maintain a "walking speed" so the mower blades aren't overcome with grass by mowing too fast.
Thanks for the info so far Rob
Ray
By ray1377
I just thought of another question.
Being that these are 24v motors, I assume they will run best at 24v?
Would it be any way for you to guess what kind of amp draw they will have while pulling around, say a 50+ lb lawnmower?
And there will be 2 motors so will the amperage be doubled?
Thanks
Ray
By robnewyork
yep , im quite familiar.. and seeing as how the rear halves of the scooters already have the sprocket, chain cut to length,wheels , and bearing really makes em easier to mount.. if u can do the metal fabrication for custom mounts thats even better.
The amperage is limited by the controller, so no , amperage wont double(it will draw more than one in many cases).. for 50 lbs u could feed them 20 amps combined and be fine.. 36 v could run them at 1.5 times the stock rpm but u dont need the speed. and yes u could run them at 12 v if u had another idea.
By ray1377
What do you mean about "idea" when you were referring to running on just 12v instead of 24v?
So I get this clear, you say that these motors will have torque and pull a lawnmower with modest amp draw if geared correctly while using the 12 inch rear lawn mower wheels?
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/pro ... rtooth2x32
This is the controller I'm speaking about.
It works with RC radios and will control twin motors at the same time.
Its the perfect zero turn mower setup.
They make them that are less amps, this one is 32 with peak of 64.
What about this for a rear sprocket to go along with the 9 tooth pinion on the motor?
Would it be geared too slow for a 12 inch wheel?
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/bicy ... oters.html
What do you think would be an "average" amp draw using this setup?
Thanks
Ray
By robnewyork
i meant a 24 v motor will run at any voltage from 1-24 , nothing more nothing less. I thought you may have an idea for running direct to a 12 volt battery.. So I meant nothing
1. The 9-90 tooth ratio on the 12inch wheel is perfect , insane torque u can ride the thing if you so desire
2. There was no link to the controller, 64 amps sounds great for both motors ( 32 each nominal)
3. The average draw once up to speed will be about 8 -12 amps each
4. The top speed with 24v , 9-90 gear ratio and 12 inch wheels would be 9.63 mph.. ( change any of the variables mentioned this number will also change
By robnewyork
if u are familiar with that controller, use it ! save lots of trouble// anyway , the top speed with 9-90 gearing , 14 inch wheel at 12 volts would be 5.623mph
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

So excited! Found a way to earn an extra $160 to p[…]

MX500 48v 2kW BLDC build

its this motor, 48v 2000w: https://www.aliexpress[…]