Need new motors? break a chain? brakes not work? swapping out pinions or sprockets?

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By Evol
I would like to add a disk brake to my e300 project. I bought this rim http://www.partsforscooters.com/144-5

and this rotor https://cart.electricscooterparts.com/shoppingcart.asp
and this is what I got Image
Anyone know of a rotor that will fit the rim? Really trying to avoid electricscooterparts.com as their lack of product detail is frustrating.
Last edited by Evol on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Evol
ok, new plan: throw money and parts at the scooter until everything comes together.

I ordered a new rim from Motovox that should match my rotor. I know it seems backwards but it looks easier to deal with that way.
By Evol
Ok, plan is in full effect! Bought a new rim, it is the exact same size! Rotor still doesn't fit! Sticking with the plan....I bought a new rotor meant for the model I bought the rim for...hoping it will fit! Should be here Saturday so yeah, things are progressing.
By Evol
I think I'm buying an Ezip 450 tomorrow...see how it stacks up to the 300. Maybe for my brushless conversion...maybe for the wife to complete the family...
By robnewyork
the real value in these is the battery pack.. if its the standard SLAS , theyre all the same so it wont matter if its a ripoff model.. now if its the lithium model , u best hope the batteries are good
By Evol
Is there such thing as a #25 motor sprocket/pinion with 11 teeth and a 12mm bore? I can find 15t, is that too big to gear down? Looking for my brushless conversion.
By Evol
The shop I'm getting the brushless motor from will also machine the shaft to fit a pinion. The motor shat is 12mm. I sent them specs for a double D Razor style shaft 10mm in diameter with threads on the end for a nut. They said that would be too weak and to use a Currie style setup with a 3mm pin or set screw.

Thinking I'll just try the 15t 12mm bore pinion and gear around it with a larger wheel sprocket if I can. Worst case I'll try and find a local shop to modify it to fit the currie setup.
By Evol
ImageHit a snag. The rotor bolts interfere with the fork.

I would have to modify the spacers and move the wheel off center to get clearance.
By robnewyork
looks good , and yes , thered be no wall left on the sprocket. id offer my machining services but that hardened steel is brutal and not worth the tool wear
By Evol
The company I'm getting the motor from, alienpowersystem.com referred me to a company, beltingonline.com that will modify the gear with a keyway and grub screw, send it to alien and alien will fit the gear and send everything to me. I think I'll have a couple gears done so I can play with gearing g if needed. 10t, 11t and 12t you think is good?
By Evol
Ditching the brakes for now. Looking into a cantilever setup on the rim. Thinking maybe find a machine shop to weld on the brake bosses. Anyone done it?
By robnewyork
we welded a caliper to the fork on a pocket mod years ago , worked great.from what im seeing in the pic, urs is definately futher away , requiring more work to get the caliper mounted.
By robnewyork
In regards to geating , the 10-13 doesnt matter, amke sure you get the 89 tooth or bigger in the rear.. REBELGEARS will make anything you want in 25 pitch , guys have made 125 tooth. but i think a cheapo 89 tooth will do it
By Evol
I'm picking up an ezip450 in the next couple of days. It has a front cantilever brake. Thinking of leaving biggie where it is and Modding the ezip.

Motor is on the way. Ordering gears 12t-14t tomorrow. I'll check out those sprokets
By robnewyork
dont be afraid to center punch and drill the sprockets to your needs, we put a 55 tooth 3 hole on a pocket mod no problem by marking the holes and drilling.. saved a lot of money over a 50 dollar rebel gear job at the time
By david coffin
on my ezip 750, i'm looking at parts on tncscooter.com, and wonder which is appropriate for back wheel, right or left caliper? the pictures dont give enoough detail, is right/left referring to the torque arm that gets pulled by brake cable? i've worn my front brake to nubs, there's no rear brake, and like disc for stopping power for my fat buttocks and heavy scoot going down dirt hills.
By david coffin
evol: if having a fat front wheel isn't a hard and fast requirement, i have an idea i'm gonna try with my scooter that currently uses cantilever brakes on the front:
the main difference (ezip 750, et al) between the front and rear wheel assemblies available on various scooter parts stores is this, the rears are threaded for brakes and drive sprocket on both sides. dimensionally, the fronts are the same, but no threading. i would take a rear wheel assembly, set it up with disc brakes using the threads, and leave the drive sprocket off and put the assembly on front forks. i'm also planning on buying the disc brake and rotor adapters that thread onto the currie wheels from tncscooters.com, and i should be able to eventually have dual disc brakes, one on front and one on rear, to really slow me down going downhills. i love my motor too much to want to over rev it downhill and wear out the bearings prematurely..
By Evol
david coffin wrote:evol: if having a fat front wheel isn't a hard and fast requirement, i have an idea i'm gonna try with my scooter that currently uses cantilever brakes on the front:
the main difference (ezip 750, et al) between the front and rear wheel assemblies available on various scooter parts stores is this, the rears are threaded for brakes and drive sprocket on both sides. dimensionally, the fronts are the same, but no threading. i would take a rear wheel assembly, set it up with disc brakes using the threads, and leave the drive sprocket off and put the assembly on front forks. i'm also planning on buying the disc brake and rotor adapters that thread onto the currie wheels from tncscooters.com, and i should be able to eventually have dual disc brakes, one on front and one on rear, to really slow me down going downhills. i love my motor too much to want to over rev it downhill and wear out the bearings prematurely..

That's essentially what i'm doing for the brake set up, using the rear rim and mounting a disk instead of a sprocket. I found the fork lower from an ezip400 that already comes with the disk caliper mount. That should hopefully make the conversion easy and bolt on. Right now I have almost no brakes with the stock side pull set up. Hard to imagine but the drum brake on my E300 outperforms the ezip 450 set up.
8mm (T8F) rear wheel sprocket

Looking for a >90T and <10 in. outside diam[…]