Need new motors? break a chain? brakes not work? swapping out pinions or sprockets?

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By zogthegreat
Hi everyone!

I seem to have a problem with the sprocket shaft on my Unite 36v 1000w motor:

As you can see, the shaft is moving up and down about 1/8".

Does anyone have any suggestion on what's wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!

zog
By Laundrydude
Usually bad bearings results in side to side movement. You need to open it up. The rear bearing may be a floating bearing. Usually has a spring washer or something behind it to control movement. Open it and check it out. You will need some small paper clips to reinstall the brushes.
By zogthegreat
I usually use dental floss on the springs. I pull the springs back, then tape them to the edge of the cover. Once I have the stator positioned, I pull out the floss and it releases the brushes.
By Laundrydude
Nice, never used dental floss before, I need to put some in my tool box. I use paper clips that are straightened out and put them in the little brush retaining hole in each brush housing.
By zogthegreat
Laundrydude wrote:Usually bad bearings results in side to side movement. You need to open it up. The rear bearing may be a floating bearing. Usually has a spring washer or something behind it to control movement. Open it and check it out. You will need some small paper clips to reinstall the brushes.

I opened up the motor and the spring washer in the back is missing! The strange thing is I haven't opened up this motor before, I guess that they forgot it at the factory and I never noticed it before. I'll take a spring washer from one of the 250w motors that I have and see if it fits.
By Laundrydude
I just got my new 36 V 1000 W unite motor, When I push the shaft then it moves a little and comes right back out. I'm not gonna open it up since it's brand-new LOL but it definitely shouldn't have that much play.
By david coffin
it's normal, believe it or not. the motor shaft is the longest piece of metal in the thing, and when heated, will expand longitudinally up to a point, at which the bearings and the case ends of the motor, having had that play designed into it, will not compress and created additional heat from friction. now, if it is side-to- side play, as in the shaft moves up and down, then the bearings are ka-poot..
By zogthegreat
It seems that these are called wave springs:

"A wave spring, also known as coiled wave spring or scrowave spring, is a spring made up of pre-hardened flat wire in a process called on-edge coiling, (also known as edge-winding). During this process, waves are added to give it a spring effect. The number of turns and waves can be easily adjusted to accommodate stronger force or meet specific requirements.

A wave spring has advantages over a traditional coiled spring or a washer:

Axial space can be reduced by up to 50%. As a result, the overall size of the assembly becomes smaller, reducing weight and production cost.
The load in an axial direction is 100% transferable.
One multi-turn wave spring replaces multiple stacked wave washers. This eases installation and reduces maintenance times.
A wave spring can accommodate higher thrust load within the axial space as only the wire size, number of waves, wave height and number of turns need to be adjusted to accommodate higher thrust loads."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_spring

Used replacements can be found on eBay or you can Google for new ones.

Test run this weekend! Did a quick hookup of the y[…]

Try ebay, or you can have rebel gears make you one[…]