Anything that relates to scooters & general forum updates

Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By robnewyork
theres almost no controllers that will run 24 and 36 except kelly and the controler u saw earlier.. But both are complicated for a first timer.. this will be simple , and u will have a top speed over 20 mph
By Nando
I see...that's bad! :)
I really wanted to start just with the variable throttle upgrade and later move to 36v.
The reason is that I wanted to go away form SLA and into using 18650 cells. I've been into RC for many years and I know the advantage of LiPo's, but I also know the disadvantages

The 18650 cells offer a more stable solution, not the same power/weight ration but still ok. But I'd like to do create a BMS system for them and possible even a telemetry/dashboard system.
Something like having available, instant Amp draw, accumulated A's and so on. I know fancy stuff. :)

So this means I may need to speed up the change to 36v.
By zogthegreat
Nando wrote:I see...that's bad! :)
I really wanted to start just with the variable throttle upgrade and later move to 36v.
The reason is that I wanted to go away form SLA and into using 18650 cells. I've been into RC for many years and I know the advantage of LiPo's, but I also know the disadvantages

The 18650 cells offer a more stable solution, not the same power/weight ration but still ok. But I'd like to do create a BMS system for them and possible even a telemetry/dashboard system.
Something like having available, instant Amp draw, accumulated A's and so on. I know fancy stuff. :)

So this means I may need to speed up the change to 36v.

Do you have a good source for 18650's? I've been thinking of trying them out for my quad project.
By Nando
Still looking.
So far I've checked in Banggood: http://www.banggood.com/4PCS-MECO-3_7v- ... 92723.html
I know they aren' the best, but Samsung or LG are quite expensive.

Also need to see the pack configuration, I believe I seen some around here using them but for 48v.
Wonder if 2x 10S1P (8A) will work well or maybe 3x 10S1P (12A) when using 4000mah batteries.

That would give above 40v when changed that probably is a bit too much for a 36v controller.

Another option could be wait for the availability of replacements batteries for the Xiaomi M365
(http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-M365-IP5 ... 12746.html)

(I'll open a new thread to avoid hijacking this one)
By robnewyork
also, why not do rc lipos?? cheap , no real thought required, higher discharge rates, no assembly required, and readily available
By Nando
Not as stable/safe specially when charging.
Plus is getting harder to have LiPo with higher A shipped due to the airline restrictions.
By Nando
yeah exactly. :)
I may even have old packs I could try with, they don't have that much high capacity but have high discharge rate so it would be enough to test.
I believe I have some 2600mah 4S LiPo's, so 2x 4S2P would give me 28v 10.4A total.
By robnewyork
the e300 is a tough starting point, id jump in with all power mods possible , because it really has no torque from the factory
By markdjr
I got the 1000 watt motor today, this thing is a beast, I'm really excited. Is there a consensus on the best way to install? Cut off kickstand and mount in stock location or top mount? Thanks again for all the help.
By zogthegreat
You will definitely scrape the ground with an under mount, top mount is the best, IMO.

I have the deck for a top mount from my old E300 build that I could ship you if your willing to pay the postage:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2192&start=50#p17837

It needs a little cleaning up and some fresh paint, but otherwise it's solid. PM me if you want it.
By markdjr
I've finally got all my parts and some time to try and complete this project. What is the suggested method for routing the chain with a top mount 1k watt motor? It looks like it will hit the cross brace as is. Thanks for any info.
By zogthegreat
Hi markdjr,

Sorry for not getting back to you, I just got totally slammed on the repairs to my tow dolly and I have been running around central Florida trying to get what I need to do the repairs myself, (you can rent a welder anywhere, rent a bottle for argon? Forget it!).

This is what I did for the chain:

You need to cut out the back brace and then tie in the hanging piece to the front brace. If you don't have access to a welder, you can use some grade 5 bolts with lock nuts from Tractor Supply or any other place that you can find them. I you do use nut's, you want to torque them really tight, (hence the grade 5 nuts and bolts).

I hope this helps you.

zog
By david coffin
given that elon musk uses the same batteries 18650 or thereabouts, maybe he can knock off a design for us scooter guys, like, a tesla power pack like jehugarcia of youtube fame does with his v w van, put batteries he got out of a tesla battery from a wherever he got it from its pretty rad
HELP!! I WANT TO UPGRADE MY RAZOR E300S

Replace your rear sprocket to an 80t...youll lose […]