Moderators: robnewyork, bassiclyLouDog, gameboy

By zen_racer
thats the high RPM version, nice pickup! i replied a bit on lipos on your other post so will just touch on the rest... for the controller i'd stick with the same type as offered in the combo kits , just for ease of hookup, maybe get a 48/60v dual voltage controller so you can play around with the lipo config and give yourself the option to overvolt. i think the controller should be under $50?

what type of chain are you using, dont know what is stock on the bladez. both my xtreme and rhino are using 8mm or T8F chain/sprockets. with a 64T wheel sprocket matched to a 10T motor sprocket running on 10-inch diameter wheels the speed calculator says top speed is slightly over 26MPH.

i ask what type of chain because the sprocket size options are different between 8mm and 25# chain...
By SpaceKaseJase
Thanks for the lipo help, brother. I think this motor's a pretty sweet deal. Did not notice it was high rpm, so bonus! Unfortunately, I don't know the chain or sprocket size. Still trying to look that info up. I know the sprocket is bigger than the Razor e300, so it's going to have some serious torque.
By SpaceKaseJase
Well, now I'm in the market for lipos. It's been awhile since I posted last because it took me forever to finally pony up the dough for the Boma 1500w 48v bldc. I'm thinking powering it up with two 6S packs which provide 44.4v. Trying to keep it around 10-12 A. Hobbyking has some 6S, 12A packs for around $110 each. Rating is 10C. This is what I'm not sure about. Do I want a lower C rating (like 10C) or a higher one (like 20-30C)? Thanks again for your patience.
By SpaceKaseJase
Don't have the controller yet. Not sure current rating other than 48v, 1500w, 5600 rpm. I believe you recommended this motor. Since it's going into such a small frame, it's going to be scary. I don't plan on WOT very often since there's no suspension. Might you know any more specs in this? I can't find any from Aliexpress.
By zen_racer
based on similar motors offered by various sellers, i believe that motor is rated around 33-38a:

1500w divided by 48v = 31.25a

the math seems to support this estimation, so you'd want to make sure the controller is rated for at least that much, say 40a and up.

now when you look at the battery source, you'd want to take note of the continuous current rating and burst/peak current rating. in this case you'd want batts rated for 40a continuous. 40a burst/peak would be no good, that would mean the batts can only supply 40a for a few seconds.
By SpaceKaseJase
Well, if my research is correct, if each 6s cell is 12000 mah, and I multiply it by the constant discharge of 10c (20c peak), then divide by 1000, I get 120a. That seems excessive. Am I wrong?
By zen_racer
the math is correct on your part, it's that some have suggested that the multistar ratings are inaccurate and/or over estimated by the manufacturer.

however, given that 120a is 3x your motor's rating there seems to be room for error. so if the multistars are only capable of half the advertised rating, there would still be enough amps to fully power your motor.
By SpaceKaseJase
That's good to know. So what I'm looking for are lipos that have continuous current rating that's greater than the output of the motor. Controller also needs to have a higher amp rating than the motor aswell, correct?
By zen_racer
right, the motor is spec'd to run without issue at 35a under normal load conditions, but if you're going WOT uphill then the motor will pull more than 35a.

if the controller and/or batts can't supply enough amps to meet the current demands of the motor, then the motor will be underpowered and will feel sluggish.

like Rob and the mods used to say, more amps = more torque...
By SpaceKaseJase
Ok, sounds good. Once I get the lipos, I will def need advice on charging. Believe me, I've spent hours and hours researching all of this, so if I come to this forum, It's because I still haven't found the right info. Been doing this for months now, so help is beyond appreciated.
By SpaceKaseJase
So the cheapest lipo route for me (after hours and hours of research) seems to be these:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fligh ... p-20c.html

I was thinking grabbing 6 of them for 44.4v at 10a. That means I will need to connect two sets of 3 batts in series for 44.4v, then hook those two groups up in parallel for 10a. At 20c constant discharge, that leaves about 100a draw. Does that sound right? Need to create mockups of batts with exact dimesions to see if they will all fit in the body of the scooter.

Actually, I just realized that my math might be incorrect. Initially, I multiplied one cell (5000 mah) by discharge rate (20c), then divided by 1000 to get 100a draw. Since I will be paralleling batts to create 10.0 ah, then that would be 10000 mah times 20c discharge rate, divided by 1000 to get 200a. This is well over the required 35-38a motor output. So I should still be good at 20c right?
By zen_racer
i've had good luck with zippy 30c lipos so i think that's a good choice, 20c will be fine for this application. i'm still using the zippys i bought 4 yrs ago for my pocket bike build... you can see pics towards the end of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2110

another option which alot of members have had success with are the turnigy hardcases:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-500 ... ack-1.html

these go on sale very often, i've seen them for $20 which is hard to beat. i have 14 of them and use them in a few builds, had them for a couple year now and no complaints:

here's some food for thought - consider going 13s (48.1v nominal) instead of 12s (44.4v). also try to find out the LVC on whatever controller you might be looking at to match up to your motor.
Last edited by zen_racer on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By zen_racer
SpaceKaseJase wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pmThat means I will need to connect two sets of 3 batts in series for 44.4v, then hook those two groups up in parallel for 10a.
yes, that's pretty much what i've done. i connect 3 packs in series, connect another set of 3 pack in series, then use a parallel connection for both groups... top left of this pic shows the 2-way parallel connector (you can see the 3-way parallel connector in the previous reply)

here's how it looks with two packs in series, then paralleled to another two packs in series for a total of 22.2v 10Ah:

By SpaceKaseJase
Ok, great info. Going 13s makes sense, but not sure how much room I'm going to have in the chassis for the extra batt. also, how would I connect it to the rest of the batts?
Most 48v brushless controllers are pretty long, so again, I'll need to do some batt mockups to determine how much space I will have. In terms of LVC, what should I be looking for in a controller? Might you have any suggestions as to which controllers might work with my setup? I probably shouldn't worry about size. I have 3 of the same chassis, so I can always consider extending one of them for more space. My neighbor has an arc welder, so it would give me a chance to learn a new skill.
By zen_racer
SpaceKaseJase wrote:how would I connect it to the rest of the batts?
the wiring would be the same, you're just replacing two 4s batts with two 5s:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fligh ... p-20c.html

so instead of 4-4-4 you'd series connect 4-4-5 to get 13s 5Ah, then parallel both groups to get 13s 10Ah. since those zippys all have the same C rating and capacity there would be no issues with that setup.

i do this often with my lipos so i can test various voltages using the same batts... i have four zippy 30c batts - one 5s, one 4s, one 3s, and one 2s - that i can mix & match since all batts have identical capacity (8000mAh). i do the same thing with my multistars...

as for BLDC controllers, i dont have much experience with them yet to provide a recommendation. i'd look for one that offers a high current rating (always nice to know you have more amps available if needed). the LVC is an important detail because you'll have an idea of how to set your lipo buzzers
By SpaceKaseJase
Ok perfect. I'll look into going 13s and see how I can get things to fit. Will also do more research on the controller. Probably won't have everything I need until after Christmas, so this is going to be a lengthy post. Thanks again for the help.
By zen_racer
SpaceKaseJase wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:48 pmWill also do more research on the controller.
always glad to help!

forgot to mention this earlier - the controllers i have are lower end generic, so if they don't meet expectations my plan is to upgrade to either a Kelly or Golden Motor BAC-0501:

http://kellycontroller.com/kbs48101x40a ... p-504.html

https://www.goldenmotor.com/img/BAC-0501.jpg

https://www.goldenmotor.com/

based on positive reports here and other forums i believe either of these controllers would be an improvement over the ones on ebay and aliexpress. they dont cost much more, are programmable, and i think the customer support will be a better experience too
Re: Bladez 450S XTR s upgrade

That Kelly controller looks like the perfect compa[…]

I need more range and intend to add a extra set […]

that was a fairly detailed how-to, thanks for shar[…]

welcome to the forum!